USFS - Too much too fast?

  • gcusack@alldata.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 22, 2001
      A little discussion issue to get things warmed up:

      Several months ago the Feds announced a 1 billion dollar-plus funding
      increase for USFS Fire, which is resulting in a huge hiring and
      equipment purchasing spree, and ENF alone is looking at the following
      additions for FY 2002:
      1 additional Battalion Chief
      3 additional engine
      1 additional handcrew
      1 additional watertender
      1 dozer
      I know someone (name withheld) who owns and operates a company that
      provides logistical support, primarily meals and laundry, on the fire
      lines for USFS and CDF. He told me recently that some people are
      concerned about safety this year on the USFS lines. There will be
      many new temporary hand crews whose members have little or no
      experience, and permanent firefighters with limited experience are
      being promoted into decision-making positions.
      Comments? Discussion?