Re: [NorCalFire] RE: Public perception: They didn't do anything!

    Message 1 of 18 , Oct 7, 2013
      *changing topic slightly*

      Strictly as a side note, back east there have been a couple of news stories on houses burning to the ground and fire standing by--because a fire protection tax or fee was unpaid. :(

      I am thankful that with the well-known morals and attitude of CAL FIRE, that's not a problem we will ever be likely to face!

      *back to the topic at hand*

      I can't tell you guys how much your input is helping here.  I've spoken with people who had previously been baffled and upset, and the light bulb went 'click' and they went, "Oh!  I never thought of it that way." and "Well that makes sense, then."

      Thanks again, guys. :)

      PA
    • k9gvf
      Message 2 of 18 , Oct 7, 2013

        Everyone's given most of the good answers I could think of...  :)

        Additionally, just ask the crew - THEY know what they are doing!

        How stupid one gets to feel if they answer "we just pulled up, saw this, called for and are waiting for a water tender and another crew so we can start to work..."

        Of course if the question is too complicated or pressing they will defer to Public Information Office contact - and CalFire is real good about making "if you have any questions" contact info available.

        I guess public mis-conceptions and ignorantly formed conclusions are better than getting out and trying to stomp out the fire themselves wearing fashion shoes and highly flammable fabrics... not much better though...

        (reminds me of the recently running radio call-in show spoof with a lady complaining that 'they' should make deer cross the road in a safer place because she's hit deer 3 times... duh-oh...  and these people get to vote...)

        ---In norcalfire@yahoogroups.com, <norcalfire@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

        Jake and Jim and company:

        Thank you so very much for such awesome answers!  That's going to help a lot the next time I talk to this gal and have to listen to her vent about how CAL FIRE didn't do a darn thing. :)  THIS time I will have some intelligent things for her to consider, and that helps people think, rather than rant.

        MANY thanks from a lowly citizen who appreciates all CALFIRE does!

        PA

           If you paid your regular state taxes each year, then you already paid your share for a year's worth of personal protection from every calfire engine, aircraft, and groundpounder, and the 300+ cal oes engines that supplement them when the smoke gets heavy.

        PS: And at that, Jake, it's cheap at the price. --PA
      • twobells2001
        Message 3 of 18 , Oct 7, 2013
          If you read the text of this TAX, the procedes do not go to front line troops or engine, air, crews, dozers etc.

          The procedes go to, more overhead, office types, suits, R & D people. Certinally some are necessary, but not to the point of needing all the TAX monies. How about the front line troops in the field.
                                                                                                                                                                                       Joe Lacey

          On Mon, Oct 7, 2013 at 7:27 AM, Pamela Alley wrote:

             *changing topic slightly*

          Strictly as a side note, back east there have been a couple of news stories on houses burning to the ground and fire standing by--because a fire protection tax or fee was unpaid. :(

          I am thankful that with the well-known morals and attitude of CAL FIRE, that's not a problem we will ever be likely to face!

          *back to the topic at hand*

          I can't tell you guys how much your input is helping here.  I've spoken with people who had previously been baffled and upset, and the light bulb went 'click' and they went, "Oh!  I never thought of it that way." and "Well that makes sense, then."

          Thanks again, guys. :)

          PA
        • Craig Rose
          Message 4 of 18 , Oct 8, 2013
            Forgive me, but what exactly does the tax have to do with the original observations? Just wondering how exactly you are connecting the two.

                Message 7 of 18 , Oct 8, 2013

                  Not in regard to the original observations either, but more info, FAQs, and SRA maps are at the State of California website,

                  http://www.firepreventionfee.org/

                  73, Cap KE6AFE

                  Message 8 of 18 , Oct 9, 2013
                    Grants Pass, Ore has private fire dept's in competion in same areas,
                    whom collect a yearly fee from property owners.

                    If they show up and you haven't paid your fee they let your joint burn.
                    There is no mutual aid to assist the other company's.

                    One company is family owned and the people that showed up are poorly
                    trained if at all. There is a video on you tube someone shot in Grants
                    Pass of these private company's responding to a working fire, what a
                    circus, the fire continued out of control, lack of water, lack of turn
                    out gear, people running amuck yelling. They lost the house. ( see
                    attached video )

                    I wonder if homeowner gets their money back. Wonder what the fire
                    insurance premiums in the area are. This is not a poor area there are
                    upscale homes there.