Re: [NorCalFire] Plumas Forest: La Porte (Howland IC)

    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 15, 2009
      172.400 popped up as PNF Rich IC last year during the lightning fires on
      7-29-08. Mohawk and Plumas dispatches were heard on it then, just like
      PNF Forest Net, and I'm hearing it again now. Could it be a PNF Service
      Net? It's a common service net repeater for other R-5 forests.

      PS hi Dan/Chief! ;)
      Jake

      Brian Verhalen wrote:

      > No, 172.400 is not a Plumas freq. They would either stay on forest
      > net & use different tones for the different repeaters or switch to
      > crew net 168.200 or possibly one of the NIFC freqs 168.050 or 168.600
      > air to ground 170.000
      > the other possibility is if there are some local fire depts there
      > also they will use 1 of the white tac freqs to be able to communicate
      > with each other
      > white 1 154.280
      > white 2 154.265
      > white 3 154.295
      >
      > Plumas is also on a brush fire just N of the hiway 70 intersection
      > with US 395 on the E side of 395.
      > They were using white 1 with a local fire dept on that one.
      >
      > Brian
      >
      > At 11:43 PM 7/15/2009 +0000, you wrote:
      > >PNF working a fire just east of La Porte. 50-60 acres with spotting
      > >half mile ahead. South winds 5-7. Just camped last year at Little
      > >Grass Valley Reservoir and it's ripe up there. Limited ground access
      > >so as many aircraft and jumpers as they can get it sounds like.
      > >
      > >http://terraserver- usa.com/image. aspx?T=2& S=12&X=847& Y=5495&Z=
      > 10&W=3
      > <http://terraserver-usa.com/image.aspx?T=2&S=12&X=847&Y=5495&Z=10&W=3>
      > >
      > >PNF Forest Net 170.550
      > >What I believe is a west-side fire repeater 172.400 but not sure
      > >
      > >Jake
      > >

      > >----------- --------- --------- -------
      > >
      > >Acronyms and More!
      > >http://www.scancal. org/glossary. html
      > <http://www.scancal.org/glossary.html>
      > >
      > >Moderator questions/problems?
      > >mail directly at norcalfire-owner@ yahoogroups. comYahoo
      > <mailto:norcalfire-owner%40yahoogroups.comYahoo>! Groups Links

    • Brian Verhalen
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 15, 2009
        That is a possibility that it is a service net repeater they have set
        up to stay off the forest net, it is not something connected directly
        to Plumas that I have seen before. I should be seeing one of them in
        the next couple of days & will ask. For now it is still a Plumas run
        fire, nothing about an IMT yet.

        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 15, 2009
          Thanks Brian - if you could check I would really appreciate it. If you
          can get me an alpha name for it, such as Service Net or Fire Net. My
          last channel plan for the PNF from 2004 does not mention 172.400, or any
          Service or Fire Net. Just an Admin Net of 171.425. 172.400 is definitely
          Howland IC for PNF and was strictly fire traffic. Lots of logistics back
          to Plumas for resources and lunches and tomorrow's orders and engine
          coverage for the Forest etc. At one point Plumas seemed to mistake what
          tone he was on and mentioned "Sunset" and then corrected himself and was
          on "Lexington" which was surprisingly great coverage into Cottonwood and
          Red Bluff. I know Sunset Mtn is somewhat poor into Red Bluff with a lot
          of multipath. Lexington Hill is also a PNF Forest Net location. It is
          approx 5700ft just west of La Porte, shadowing La Porte basically and
          line of sight to the fire location.

          If I understand the PNF Forest Net, it's all microwave based on the west
          side, so a unit on the west side could be on one tone and use that
          mountain top as a local repeater, or switch tones and the mountain top
          would take him over microwave back to Plumas/Mohawk dispatch.

          No plume seen from top of Tuscan Buttes in Tehama County tonight, but
          definite drift smoke from the south winds pushing it over the west slope
          sierra nevadas into Lassen Park. Last word on wildlandfire.com hotlist
          was 120 acres at 5pm.

          The Howland fire on 172.400 is on scancal.org live scanner now for
          duration of fire.
          Jake

          Brian Verhalen wrote:

          > That is a possibility that it is a service net repeater they have set
          > up to stay off the forest net, it is not something connected directly
          > to Plumas that I have seen before. I should be seeing one of them in
          > the next couple of days & will ask. For now it is still a Plumas run
          > fire, nothing about an IMT yet.
          >
          > At 05:51 PM 7/15/2009 -0700, you wrote:
          > >172.400 popped up as PNF Rich IC last year during the lightning fires on
          > >7-29-08. Mohawk and Plumas dispatches were heard on it then, just like
          > >PNF Forest Net, and I'm hearing it again now. Could it be a PNF Service
          > >Net? It's a common service net repeater for other R-5 forests.
          > >
          > >PS hi Dan/Chief! ;)
          > >Jake
          > >
          > >Brian Verhalen wrote:
          > > >

          > > > No, 172.400 is not a Plumas freq. They would either stay on forest
          > > > net & use different tones for the different repeaters or switch to
          > > > crew net 168.200 or possibly one of the NIFC freqs 168.050 or 168.600
          > > > air to ground 170.000
          > > > the other possibility is if there are some local fire depts there
          > > > also they will use 1 of the white tac freqs to be able to communicate
          > > > with each other
          > > > white 1 154.280
          > > > white 2 154.265
          > > > white 3 154.295
          > > >
          > > > Plumas is also on a brush fire just N of the hiway 70 intersection
          > > > with US 395 on the E side of 395.
          > > > They were using white 1 with a local fire dept on that one.
          > > >
          > > > Brian

          > > > 10&W=3
          > > > <http://terraserver- usa.com/image. aspx?T=2& S=12&X=847&
          > Y=5495&Z= 10&W=3
          > <http://terraserver-usa.com/image.aspx?T=2&S=12&X=847&Y=5495&Z=10&W=3>>

          > > > <http://www.scancal. org/glossary. html
          > <http://www.scancal.org/glossary.html>>

          > > > <mailto:norcalfire- owner%40yahoogro ups.comYahoo> ! Groups Links

          > >----------- --------- --------- -------
          > >
          > >Acronyms and More!
          > >http://www.scancal. org/glossary. html
          > <http://www.scancal.org/glossary.html>
          > >
          > >Moderator questions/problems?
          > >mail directly at norcalfire-owner@ yahoogroups. comYahoo
          > <mailto:norcalfire-owner%40yahoogroups.comYahoo>! Groups Links

        • Frank Ealand
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 16, 2009
            That freq is The service net and is assigned to the Plumas and shared
            with other Forests. The Plumas and the other Forests have fixed
            infrastructure on the frequency.

            Frank

            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 16, 2009
              Interesting. I spoke with the Plumas radio tech this morning & he had
              never heard of that freq for Plumas.

              Brian