Re: [NorCalFire] Volunteers and Out of County

  • dkerns@cruzio.com
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 24, 2009
      Apples to oranges gentlemen...

      Cost to the government, (including Overhead and Equipment costs) is not
      comparable to take home pay.

      No need to use colorful language.

      (Unless as a tax payer you start to wonder what you're getting for the
      difference between $60/hour and the $16/hour that the FF gets...)

      73 de Donald

    • twobells2@charter.net
      Message 2 of 9 , May 6, 2009
        Dan,
        Wish I had known you about 15 years ago. When a member of our fire district board of directors decided he would run for the County board of supervisors by "cleaning up the fire district."
        "Those firemen are hanging around the fire hall too much."

        Not to mention the firemen built a 14 X 80' addition to the main station including a classroom, showers, washer, dryer, new bathrooms, and bay for antique fire engine as they had completed a frame off restoration. Oh and taking classes at least every other weekend many times out of county. And fire calls yea we did that too. and Saturdays to maintain and clean the equipment

        It started with a fireman getting a letter after 7 years service that he didn't meet minimum requirements. Several weeks later same fireman comming home from late night job in neighborhing district noticed a home on fire and managed to lead two elderly people to safety.

        After several incidents including previous to next Christmas party board member reminded fireman planning dinner, that he liked X type of wine and wife liked Y type wine. The firemen were paying for this dinner as always, so the courtesy of having the board members sit at the head table was changed and the firemens association officers sat at the head table, board members and wives sat in the cheap seats with the firemen and drank same wine as everybody else.

        Next it was decreeded that the monthly oil fill of the heating oil was to cease, leaving the station without heat. The next election with a polling place at the fire station, election workers and voters asked if something was wrong with the heating system as they froze.

        Next in a "cost saving measure" the hot water was ordered to be turned off for good. Firemen returning from calls especially medical got to clean up in cold water.

        Then there was the issue of having the firemen pay for their own Hepitas shot series. Thats when I left. They were running off guys with 25 years service.

        I'd like to see some real safeguards for volunteer firefighters. The fireman dosen't have the funds to persue action on a termination and what does one win , being placed back in the same situation. I have heard of so many departments ruined by one or two dimwit board members with no knowledge, and trying for higher seats as supervisor or school district.

        A good place for CSFA to do some good organizing, defending, and lobbying volunteers. In our case CSFA didn't want to get involved as all members wern't signed up. Some firemen were afraid to sign up as board said we were forming a union. Enough said.
        Joe Lacey