Re: [NorCalFire] Re: Engine 5566?

  • David Coursey
    Message 1 of 26 , Sep 2, 2008
      Alameda County uses numbers below 5000 so some must overlap, I'd
      imagine.

      On Sep 2, 2008, at 12:46 PM, Steven Karoly wrote:

      > Many departments/districts use four-digit numbering systems like Cal
      > Fire. I can't speak to East Bay, but my county (El Dorado) uses
      > similar
      > numbers.
      >
      > Although most EDC non-Cal Fire fire apparatus are identified by
      > station
      > numbers (Engine 49 from Station 49, etc.), the chiefs are identified
      > with 6000-, 7000-, 8000 and 9000-series numbers. The chief in the
      > Diamond Springs-El Dorado FPD are numbered C8100, C8102, C8102, and
      > B8103.
      >
      > None of the departments/districts here use 1,000- to 5,000-series
      > numbers that I'm aware of. Anyone know if these numbers are reserved
      > for Cal Fire?
      >
      > We often hear 5500-series equipment in AEU during the summer fire
      > season.

    • Ben
      Message 2 of 26 , Sep 2, 2008
        All dept's in Ca have 4 digit #'ing for uses such as when they go out on
        ST's.. no I'm not talking about the actual ST #'s. Even though placer
        county eng 49 may use that within county, if they go somewhere else they
        do use a # digit numbering system like Cal fire does, and other counties
        in the Bay Area.

        Steven Karoly wrote:

        > Many departments/districts use four-digit numbering systems like Cal
        > Fire. I can't speak to East Bay, but my county (El Dorado) uses similar
        > numbers.
        >
        > Although most EDC non-Cal Fire fire apparatus are identified by station
        > numbers (Engine 49 from Station 49, etc.), the chiefs are identified
        > with 6000-, 7000-, 8000 and 9000-series numbers. The chief in the
        > Diamond Springs-El Dorado FPD are numbered C8100, C8102, C8102, and
        > B8103.
        >
        > None of the departments/districts here use 1,000- to 5,000-series
        > numbers that I'm aware of. Anyone know if these numbers are reserved
        > for Cal Fire?
        >
        > We often hear 5500-series equipment in AEU during the summer fire
        > season.

      • Craig Tomasello
        Message 3 of 26 , Sep 2, 2008
          ALCO uses their own 4 digit numbering system for their rigs. I.E. Engine
          3454 out of Sunol. That would conflict with San Luis Obispo Unit numbering
          for Cal Fire. I would imagine that they wouldn't delve into the 1600's in
          ALCO (at least for fire fighting equipment) beings that SCU is present in
          ALCO.

          No department, except CalFire, uses a 4 digit numbering system in Santa
          Clara County. It's all listed by station number.

          ct

        • Tom Caves
          Message 4 of 26 , Sep 2, 2008
            Feds also use 2 numeral numbering system (ENG-32 for example).  It's suppose to be preceeded by the units 3 letter identifyer (MNF  Eng-32, SHF Eng-43, etc...........) for off unit assignments.

            Message 5 of 26 , Sep 2, 2008
              Humboldt County deparments are switching to four-digit numbers as well, with
              most of them having completed the change.

              First two digits are for the department, last two are the type and specific
              unit number. They have (or will have) their 3-letter California Agency
              Designators affixed to the rigs, but don't usually refer to their
              department's name now.

              Numbers go from 5000s in the south county to 9800s in the north (lots of
              VFDs here).

              Solves the problem like when Eureka had a big structure fire and there were
              three "Engine 1's" on scene.

              Harry
            • Craig Tomasello
              Message 6 of 26 , Sep 2, 2008
                Sonoma County also does what Humboldt just switched to. First 2 are
                department, 3rd number is vehicle type, last number is a sequential number
                for the vehicle. Rightfully so the 1400's are reserved for CDF, but most
                of the departments use the higher ranges. Santa Cruz County is another
                example, but p

                Places like San Joaquin, San Mateo, San Francisco, Stanislaus, Merced and
                Madera, however, do not use a 4 digit numbering system. Come to think of it
                I don't think Sacto does either. Probably because they don't have several
                different departments numbering their engines the same, I.E. four engine
                #1's. San Mateo just adds to the list, hence why you'll hear Engine 77, or
                the like. Stanislaus idetifies their Engines by calling their Department
                name then the unit number (I.E. Modesto 6, or Stanislaus 21).

                CT

              • David Coursey
                Message 7 of 26 , Sep 2, 2008
                  San Joaquin County, except Stockton, uses a one or two-digital
                  department number, preceded by a type and followed by what is often a
                  station number. You are supposed to say the department number
                  separately from the apparatus number. So, the engine at the Defense
                  Depot in Tracy is engine two-six two and not engine two-sixty-two.

                  The Tracy truck is Truck Nine-One. And the Battalion Chief is
                  Battalion 9, although the individuals are Chief 9-1, 9-2, etc.

                  On Sep 2, 2008, at 2:53 PM, Craig Tomasello wrote:

                  > Sonoma County also does what Humboldt just switched to. First 2 are
                  > department, 3rd number is vehicle type, last number is a sequential
                  > number
                  > for the vehicle. Rightfully so the 1400's are reserved for CDF, but
                  > most
                  > of the departments use the higher ranges. Santa Cruz County is another
                  > example, but p
                  >
                  > Places like San Joaquin, San Mateo, San Francisco, Stanislaus,
                  > Merced and
                  > Madera, however, do not use a 4 digit numbering system. Come to
                  > think of it
                  > I don't think Sacto does either. Probably because they don't have
                  > several
                  > different departments numbering their engines the same, I.E. four
                  > engine
                  > #1's. San Mateo just adds to the list, hence why you'll hear Engine
                  > 77, or
                  > the like. Stanislaus idetifies their Engines by calling their
                  > Department
                  > name then the unit number (I.E. Modesto 6, or Stanislaus 21).
                  >
                  > CT

                • Craig Tomasello
                  Message 8 of 26 , Sep 2, 2008
                    David do you have a list of San Joaquin identifiers? I know Esalon is 1 and
                    Ripon is 2, etc... but I don't know them all. Thanks in advance...

                    CT

                  • David Coursey
                    Message 9 of 26 , Sep 2, 2008
                      It just so happens....

                      Agency
                      1 Escalon
                      2 Ripon
                      3 Lathrop
                      4 Farmington
                      5 Linden-Peters
                      6 Clements
                      7 Woodbridge
                      9 Tracy
                      11 French Camp
                      12 Liberty
                      13 Mokelumne
                      14 Collegeville
                      15 Waterloo Morada
                      17 Thornton
                      18 Montezuma
                      20 Lodi
                      22 Stockton
                      24 Manteca
                      26 Defense Logistics Agency

                      On Sep 2, 2008, at 3:00 PM, Craig Tomasello wrote:

                      > David do you have a list of San Joaquin identifiers? I know Esalon
                      > is 1 and
                      > Ripon is 2, etc... but I don't know them all. Thanks in advance...
                      >
                      > CT

                    • John Gleichweit
                      Message 10 of 26 , Sep 2, 2008
                        Madera/Mariposa/Merced use a 2/3 digit system from 1-99 for the stations between the 3 counties, with Chowchilla City as the exception. Fresno uses a 2/3 digit system from 1-99 for all of the stations in the county.

                        --
                        John "Smokey Behr" Gleichweit FF1/EMT, CCNA, MCSE
                        IPN-CAL023 N6FOG UP Fresno Sub MP183.5 ECV1852

                        #1's. San Mateo just adds to the list, hence why you'll hear Engine 77, or
                        the like. Stanislaus idetifies their Engines by calling their Department
                        name then the unit number (I.E. Modesto 6, or Stanislaus 21).

                        CT

                      • K B
                        Message 11 of 26 , Sep 2, 2008
                          Sacramento solved this issue with the many mergers that took place..

                          Sacramento City Stations 1-20, 56, 57
                          Sacramento Metro 21-68, 101 - 111
                          Cosumnes River 44-75

                          think these are pretty accurate.

                          Message 12 of 26 , Sep 2, 2008
                            This is untrue. Individual resources (engines) will never change their
                            identification. What is painted on the engine is what they are. When
                            outside their local response area as an individual resource, they
                            will/should add the three-letter designator of their department as
                            appointed by firescope(?). Every fire department in CA has a unique 3
                            letter designator. So RDN Engine 3 is different than RBU Engine 3.

                            When part of a strike team or task force, they will be referenced as
                            that particular team's 4-digit designator, because dispatchers don't
                            care about the individual resources on that team, just the team itself
                            as one whole resource. So XTE-3345C might have RDN Engine 3, RBU Engine
                            1, OAK Engine 3 and ABC Engine 4. The only time you'll hear those
                            engines referenced by their engine numbers outside of their local area
                            would be by their strike-team leader.

                            Ben wrote:

                            > All dept's in Ca have 4 digit #'ing for uses such as when they go out on
                            > ST's.. no I'm not talking about the actual ST #'s. Even though placer
                            > county eng 49 may use that within county, if they go somewhere else they
                            > do use a # digit numbering system like Cal fire does, and other counties
                            > in the Bay Area.

                          • Ben
                            Message 13 of 26 , Sep 2, 2008
                              We have several dept (mostly county agencies) that subscibe to a
                              particular numbering system. First 2 numbers are the department
                              designator, 3rd number is vehicle type, last number is what station the
                              piece of equipment resides at. Most departments designator do not change
                              when going out of the jurisdiction but for instance Hayward Fire used to
                              go by the 4 digit designator, then went back the normal E-1, E-2 etc.
                              but when a piece of equipment goes out of the city limits, they switch
                              to 36xx to differentiate themselves from other E-1's, E-2's or E-3's
                              that may be on a multi-jurisdictional fire where you could have (7) E-1
                              or T-1's onscene.

                              Message 14 of 26 , Sep 2, 2008
                                So does this happen just within the county? While in city limits they're
                                E1 etc, but in Alameda Co they do 36xx? Any other cities in Alameda do this?

                                Ben wrote:

                                > We have several dept (mostly county agencies) that subscibe to a
                                > particular numbering system. First 2 numbers are the department
                                > designator, 3rd number is vehicle type, last number is what station the
                                > piece of equipment resides at. Most departments designator do not change
                                > when going out of the jurisdiction but for instance Hayward Fire used to
                                > go by the 4 digit designator, then went back the normal E-1, E-2 etc.
                                > but when a piece of equipment goes out of the city limits, they switch
                                > to 36xx to differentiate themselves from other E-1's, E-2's or E-3's
                                > that may be on a multi-jurisdictiona l fire where you could have (7) E-1
                                > or T-1's onscene.
                                >
                                > Jake H wrote:
                                > >
                                > > This is untrue. Individual resources (engines) will never change their
                                > > identification. What is painted on the engine is what they are. When
                                > > outside their local response area as an individual resource, they
                                > > will/should add the three-letter designator of their department as
                                > > appointed by firescope(?) . Every fire department in CA has a unique 3
                                > > letter designator. So RDN Engine 3 is different than RBU Engine 3.
                                > >
                                > > When part of a strike team or task force, they will be referenced as
                                > > that particular team's 4-digit designator, because dispatchers don't
                                > > care about the individual resources on that team, just the team itself
                                > > as one whole resource. So XTE-3345C might have RDN Engine 3, RBU Engine
                                > > 1, OAK Engine 3 and ABC Engine 4. The only time you'll hear those
                                > > engines referenced by their engine numbers outside of their local area
                                > > would be by their strike-team leader.
                                > >
                                > > Ben wrote:
                                > > >
                                > > > All dept's in Ca have 4 digit #'ing for uses such as when they go
                                > out on
                                > > > ST's.. no I'm not talking about the actual ST #'s. Even though placer
                                > > > county eng 49 may use that within county, if they go somewhere
                                > else they
                                > > > do use a # digit numbering system like Cal fire does, and other
                                > counties
                                > > > in the Bay Area.

                                > > Checked by AVG.
                                > 9/2/2008 6:02 AM

                              • Ben
                                Message 15 of 26 , Sep 2, 2008
                                  All cities within Alameda county have the 4 digit designator except for
                                  Hayward. Hayward uses E-1,E-2, etc.. They used to use 36xx. They now
                                  only use that when sending units out of city limits. For example
                                  Hayward engine E-1 goes on a 3rd alarm assignment out of city. That
                                  engine now turns into Hayward Eng. 3641. Dept's using the 4 digit
                                  designator uses that all the time. whether in or out of their
                                  jurisdiction. I always thought the 4 number designator was something
                                  setup within OES.

                                  Oakland 25xx
                                  Alameda County 34xx
                                  Livermore Lab 18xx
                                  Union city 37xx
                                  Fremont 38xx
                                  Newark 39xx
                                  Camp Parks Dublin 56xx
                                  Alameda City 27xx
                                  Berkeley 22xx
                                  Piedmont 21xx

                                • k9jbs@SUREWEST.NET
                                  Message 16 of 26 , Sep 2, 2008
                                    Many years ago when CAD Computer aided dispatch we ran into a problem the system wanted four digits and this small departments chief was against having dispatchers say engine one;truck one so we put in E-0001 so like most agencies they by they best and. Do not use it to its full potential
                                    James "Doc" Stewart

                                    From: Jake H <yahoo@...>

                                    Date: Tue, 02 Sep 2008 22:04:49
                                    To: <norcalfire@yahoogroups.com>

                                    Ben wrote:

                                    > We have several dept (mostly county agencies) that subscibe to a
                                    > particular numbering system. First 2 numbers are the department
                                    > designator, 3rd number is vehicle type, last number is what station the
                                    > piece of equipment resides at. Most departments designator do not change
                                    > when going out of the jurisdiction but for instance Hayward Fire used to
                                    > go by the 4 digit designator, then went back the normal E-1, E-2 etc.
                                    > but when a piece of equipment goes out of the city limits, they switch
                                    > to 36xx to differentiate themselves from other E-1's, E-2's or E-3's
                                    > that may be on a multi-jurisdictiona l fire where you could have (7) E-1
                                    > or T-1's onscene.
                                    >
                                    > Jake H wrote:
                                    > >
                                    > > This is untrue. Individual resources (engines) will never change their
                                    > > identification. What is painted on the engine is what they are. When
                                    > > outside their local response area as an individual resource, they
                                    > > will/should add the three-letter designator of their department as
                                    > > appointed by firescope(?) . Every fire department in CA has a unique 3
                                    > > letter designator. So RDN Engine 3 is different than RBU Engine 3.
                                    > >
                                    > > When part of a strike team or task force, they will be referenced as
                                    > > that particular team's 4-digit designator, because dispatchers don't
                                    > > care about the individual resources on that team, just the team itself
                                    > > as one whole resource. So XTE-3345C might have RDN Engine 3, RBU Engine
                                    > > 1, OAK Engine 3 and ABC Engine 4. The only time you'll hear those
                                    > > engines referenced by their engine numbers outside of their local area
                                    > > would be by their strike-team leader.
                                    > >
                                    > > Ben wrote:
                                    > > >
                                    > > > All dept's in Ca have 4 digit #'ing for uses such as when they go
                                    > out on
                                    > > > ST's.. no I'm not talking about the actual ST #'s. Even though placer
                                    > > > county eng 49 may use that within county, if they go somewhere
                                    > else they
                                    > > > do use a # digit numbering system like Cal fire does, and other
                                    > counties
                                    > > > in the Bay Area.

                                    > > Checked by AVG.
                                    > 9/2/2008 6:02 AM

                                  • sffdmedicwanttobe
                                    Message 17 of 26 , Sep 3, 2008
                                      What are those new OES type 3 engines numbered? And when they are sent
                                      a a strike team, what are they called?
                                    • Jordan Hayes
                                      Message 18 of 26 , Sep 3, 2008
                                        > Oakland 25xx