Re: [NorCalFire] Care Package for Fire Fighters?

  • Chris Nichols
    Message 1 of 13 , Jul 3, 2008
      The normal issued drink in the sack lunch usually has two cans of some sort of juice. Lemonade has been sent out a lot on the Indians fire.

      Chris Nichols

      This message was sent via Verizon Wireless Blackberry

      For up to date Fire Information and immediate notifications visit:

      From: "Pamela Alley" <rnrq@...>

      Date: Thu, 3 Jul 2008 21:08:48
      To: <norcalfire@yahoogroups.com>
      Subject: Re: [NorCalFire] Care Package for Fire Fighters?

      Um, isn't Red Bull one of those drinks that acts like ephedra? Nasty to do
      on a fire...and I know it's a diuretic.

      What about powdered tea or lemonade?

      Message 2 of 13 , Jul 3, 2008
        Wouldn't you want drinks more fortified with sodium, calcium, potassium, or magnesium? The electrolytes...
        Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T
      • Chris Nichols
        Message 3 of 13 , Jul 3, 2008
          There are many options available to us on the line. Primary is water and gatorade. The latest thing is Vitamin water that was provided on the Indian fire.

          Message 4 of 13 , Jul 3, 2008
            Thats like saying avoid coffee, good luck!
            I am talking about a gift not everyday! and besides I have seen it in Cal
            Fire Camps this Year and last, so we agree to disagree.
            Bob

            --
            Editor CAL FIRE NEWS - http://calfire.blogspot.com

          • Lisa Saldano
            Message 5 of 13 , Jul 3, 2008
              HOLY COW everyone on here is AWESOME! Look at all the replies! Thanks so much!
              I did already have the jerkey, and I'm making him his favorite brownies as we speak...
              As a matter of fact, he IS working the lightening fires, Craig! He's just moved from the Antelope fire to the Mill Creek Fire I believe he said...truck 2551...he's stationed at Tehama/Glenn unit. First day on the job was last Friday, hasn't been home since.
              Fantastic ideas about the foot powder and stuff, made me giggle...and my son and I DO talk about that kinda stuff...giggle...he mentioned "where" he had poison oak...poor guy...I had to stifle my giggle and just say, "ok son, that might be too much info right there..." but he did say how fantastic Cal Fire is about the medical attention they get...he's been given the technu stuff, and basic first aid care for all their cuts, scrapes, etc...
              I will send him a travel pillow, he's been sleep'n on the ground...gosh, you all had fantastic ideas for me, thanks again! He has a pair of whites (boots) that he broke in while he was in the academy, but I will try to send him some of the items mentioned for other issues...heh heh
              I was gonna get him the red bull stuff but it's expensive! I thought it would be nice to have a cold one waiting for him when he came off the line. He did mention they get the vit water...
              To any Cal Fire bosses on here, thanks for take'n care of my only son.
              Lisa Saldano
              Proud Cal Fire Mom to
              Jordan Saldano
              T/G Unit Paynes Creek

              Message 6 of 13 , Jul 4, 2008
                Travel pillow?, Poor guys been made sleep'n on the ground? And
                how�d he get poison oak down there. Hasn�t been home since Friday. That�s way
                to long. Gee, just what are these Fire Boss�s�
                puten our sons through!! Go Getem -Jordan Saldano!!! hehe

                Ex fire fighter 1978 - Mike Barbour

                Sawyer crew 3, Plumb Creek

                Transferred Vina Helatack

                �Fighten 79!�

                Be sure to stop by our MSC site at:

                http://msc.nmvm.com

                And also always support your local Boy Scouts

                --Any questions about GPS training and or

                Boy Scouts-Please email me at this email.

                There had better be a shower in base camp, or I know some people that will be seriously PO'd (like me)...

                Here are some of the items I've had personnel ask for when I was staffing a

                campaign fire:

                Socks.

                Bandanas.

                Sunscreen.

                Tecnu (poison oak remover).

                Ibuprofen.

                Sudafed (nothing which will make you drowsy).

                Moleskin (by the roll if you can find it).

                Toilet paper.

                Baby wipes.

                Baby powder.

                Travel-sized pillows.

                Cheap flip-flops (in case they see a shower in base camp).

                I like "No Rinse"-brand body bath and shampoo. (I know REI carries it.)

                Of course, home-made cookies!

                Chris

                On Thu, Jul 3, 2008 at 9:47 AM, FM #17 <curleequet@ yahoo. com> wrote:

                > Can someone give me ideas of what they need, want, so I can take a

                > care package to the fire fighters at my son's unit? He text me saying

                > he needed 'stuff' but didn't mention anything but shampoo and snacks

                > they can eat on the line. I went to cash n carry and they said the

                > fire fighters bought all their granola bars, so at least I know that

                > is ONE thing they are eat'n out there. I just need some ideas.

                > Thanks!

                Acronyms and More!

                http://fire. norcalscan. org/glossary. html