Re: [NorCalFire] BUTTE: Multiple incidents

  • Dan Newman
    Message 1 of 15 , Mar 29, 2008
      Plus in Butte, most watertenders are driven by the "company"... so it
      takes a volunteer, who is also an engineer, to leave his/her house,
      drive to the station, and pick up the rig.
      -Dan

    • twobells2@charter.net
      Message 2 of 15 , Mar 30, 2008
        Also water Tenders have air brakes, which takes time to build up the air to a operating pressure. It's mading sitting there for the 2 minitutes or so waiting to go.
        Joe Lacey

      • twobells2@charter.net
        Message 3 of 15 , Mar 30, 2008

        • twobells2@charter.net
          Message 4 of 15 , Mar 30, 2008

          • twobells2@charter.net
            Message 5 of 15 , Mar 30, 2008

            • twobells2@charter.net
              Message 6 of 15 , Mar 30, 2008

                ---- Dan Newman <yahoo@...> wrote:
                > Plus in Butte, most watertenders are driven by the "company"... so it
                > takes a volunteer, who is also an engineer, to leave his/her house,
                > drive to the station, and pick up the rig.
                > -Dan
                >

                > Pamela Alley wrote:
                > >
                > > Ah! Thank you! It was bugging me something awful...LOL!
                > >
                > > PA

              • Mark Ward
                Message 7 of 15 , Mar 30, 2008
                  But what about the water tenders, Joe???? I think your SEND button
                  got the hiccups.

                  --
                  The Other Mark

                  Message 8 of 15 , Mar 30, 2008
                    Very sorry about whatever I did to cause that.
                    Joe

                    Message 9 of 15 , Mar 30, 2008
                      LOL...we've all done it at one time or another....

                      So..what's it take to be an engineer, and what makes an engineer different
                      from Ye Olde Volunteer with experience driving a truck?

                      (Okay, seriously stupid questions but I am curious....Jake, please feel free
                      to duct tape me if it's too far off topic?)

                      PA
                    • Tim Tribble
                      Message 10 of 15 , Mar 30, 2008
                        --- In norcalfire@yahoogroups.com, "Pamela Alley" <rnrq@...> wrote:

                        > LOL...we've all done it at one time or another....
                        >
                        > So..what's it take to be an engineer, and what makes an engineer
                        different
                        > from Ye Olde Volunteer with experience driving a truck?
                        >
                        > (Okay, seriously stupid questions but I am curious....Jake, please
                        feel free
                        > to duct tape me if it's too far off topic?)
                        >
                        > PA

                        Pam,

                        An Engineer is a firefighter who has received extra training in the
                        operation of Fire Apparatus. This includes pumping water, aerial
                        operations, and Emergency Vehicle Operations. They are responsible
                        for the apparatus they are assigned to on their shift. Some
                        departments take this as far as having two classifications, one for
                        engines and one for aerials. They have a Commercial Driver's License
                        (CDL) equal to the apparatus they operate. Most Fire Engines and
                        some Water Tenders require a class "B" license. Aerial Trucks and
                        some Water Tenders require a class "A" license. There is also a
                        restricted license for each class that restricts the licensee to
                        Fire Vehicles Only.

                        Tim
                      • john
                        Message 11 of 15 , Mar 30, 2008
                          I am a volunteer in Tehama county...and I can drive an Engine, but not
                          a Water Tender, because on my Class B I can only drive an
                          Automatic...If a Water Tender is a manual transmission, I am not
                          license to drive it.