Re: [NorCalFire] Hwy 70&149 incident

  • Mark Ward
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 31, 2007
      On 7/31/07, Pamela Alley <rnrq@...> wrote:
      > When they said on the news video that they (CHP and
      > CDF) had actually practiced for this specific situation, I was floored.
      > Talk about contingency planning!! GOOD WORK, GUYS!!

      Off-topic but along the same lines, there was an OIS in Ridgecrest
      yesterday that also was preceded just last weekend by a simulation of
      a similar (to it) active-shooter incident:

      http://ridgecrestca.com/articles/2007/07/31/news/news02.txt

      Practice pays off.

      --
      Mark Ward
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 1, 2007
        Isn't falsework all welded together, or is it just Tinkertoys on a large
        scale?

        PA
      • fcdl36x7s3
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 1, 2007
          --- In norcalfire@yahoogroups.com, "Pamela Alley" <rnrq@...> wrote:

          > Isn't falsework all welded together, or is it just Tinkertoys on a
          large
          > scale?
          >
          > PA

          This is an interesting comment that I received from a friend of mine
          that does a lot of Fly-over work like this. The "he" that is referred
          to is the contractor: "Guys: This is a falsework design utilizing
          pipe colums and cable x bracing. Although cheaper than conventional
          beam and angle bracing, there is no serious redundancy, hence when a
          cable is loosened or slips, bad shit happens fast. He refuses to use
          the system."
        • cmsq62
          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 1, 2007
            Does anyone know if 149 is opened yet?
          • Mark Ward
            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 1, 2007
              Apparently it is. According to Caltrans at dot.ca.gov, as of
              Wednesday August 1, 2007 at 17:38, "no traffic restrictions are
              reported for this route" (SR 149).

              SR 70 has only its pre-existing construction delays 5 miles north of
              Marysville and north of the Butte/Plumas County line and at other
              locations forther northeast.

              --
              Mark Ward