Re: [NorCalFire] New CDF Name

  • K Broadbent
    Message 1 of 29 , Jan 31, 2007
      Well a name change could mean alot like a change from
      a resource agency budget that is gutted as needed for
      anything the politicians can dream up without a second
      look to that of a public safety budget that will
      hardly get touched and i think it better describes an
      all risk firefighting agency that does about as much
      in the way of the fire service as the closest
      department to its size the LA county fire department
      which was also renamed from a forestry agency.

      Try the free Yahoo! Mail Beta.
    • nitrobear@comcast.net
      Message 2 of 29 , Feb 6, 2007
        John,
        Yep, I missed that. Thanks! Hard to read when you are hibernating man! ;-)

        --
        Nitrobear

        From: John Fisher <thefishmail@...>
        You must've been hibernating early this year bear! ;)

        Logos, stationary, etc. will only be changed when "no longer serviceable"

        In other words, new engines will get the new logo, old ones won't unless they get repainted.

        JF

        From: <kimnoyes@...>

        ---- Dave <raven@...> wrote:
        > CDF is implamenting its new "CAL FIRE" name effective 1-19-07:
        >
        > 1. All new Nomex will be silk screened with the CAL FIRE moniker developed by the committee.
        > 2. All new mobile equipment (e.g. fire engines, bulldozers, emergency crew transports, aircraft, and other vehicles) typically used to meet our fire protection/emergency response and state fire marshal missions will have the CAL FIRE moniker and appropriate striping applied.
        >
        > 3. Use of the CAL FIRE name is appropriate for answering the phone and shall be started immediately - e.g. "CAL FIRE, Alder Point Station." Specific phone answering policies should be addressed by Unit Chiefs at the Unit level for Schedule A contracts to address the customer service needs.
        >
        > 4. CAL FIRE shall be used in the signature block of individual emails. The exact CAL FIRE moniker developed by the committee is available off the Intranet to be copied.
        >
        > 5. Use of the CAL FIRE moniker on new facilities (e.g. fire stations, conservation camps, air attack bases, helitack bases, operational unit headquarters) and/or new signs that are typically used to meet our fire protection/emergency response and state fire marshal missions will be used. Use of "California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection" is still appropriate for facilities such as state forests, nurseries, and others as approved by the director. The committee will be developing a statewide standard to be used for any signs being replaced or upgraded.
        >
        > It is important to remember that specific designs and methods to implement the CAL FIRE moniker will be developed by the committee; and the units, regions and other functions within CDF are not to implement this moniker until the design and methods have been developed and released. It is also very important to honor the directive of AB1423 not to destroy or alter existing signs, logos, or patches.
        >
        > Ruben Grijalva, Director
        >
        > Department of Forestry and Fire Protection

      • Cap Pennell
        Message 3 of 29 , Feb 7, 2007
          And now they're using CAL FIRE (without the hyphen).
          "The name CAL FIRE is spelled out in two words with all capital letters.
          There is no hyphen or any other punctuation mark between the words."
          http://tinyurl.com/37dkk9
          http://www.fire.ca.gov/

          Yes, the idea relates to hopefully improving public relations. That is,
          aiming to share the public prestige of "America's Heroes" the "Firemen",
          rather than being thought of as mere managers of the natural resources of
          California.

          It started with changing the department name from the "Department of
          Forestry" to the "Department of Forestry and Fire Protection" (but then they
          determined to keep using "CDF" for name recognition, instead of a lesser
          known "CDFFP").

          Same goes for the dark dark blue uniforms CAL FIRE now wears, a PR move so
          the employees will be viewed in the same glorious light in the public's eye
          as a city Fire Department. A few view it as a step _downward_ from State
          Resources Managers to City Firemen, from CDF to CAL FIRE, and are
          disappointed the dark blue uniforms increase heat stress on a hot day, but
          they were outvoted by those preferring to be considered heroes. There's
          more money in it!

          The CAL FIRE Mission:
          "CAL FIRE" protects the people of California from fires, responds to
          emergencies, and protects and enhances forest, range, and watershed values
          providing social, economic, and environmental benefits to rural and urban
          citizens.

          Cap
        • Kim Noyes
          Message 4 of 29 , Feb 7, 2007
            *Cap, *
            *Thanks for the additional explanation.*
            *I fully understand the reasons for the change, but I'm still not excited
            about them.*
            *With our society unhealthily hell-bent on changing things as often as
            possible, often just for the sake of change itself, I've become a curmudgeon
            (although still a young man) to unnecessary change. *
            *What's in a name?*
            *To me the CDF is what it is regardless of what they call themselves and
            what color uniform they wear.*
            *Perhaps the old name and uniform gave the wrong impression to regular
            "sheeple" but I'm not a regular "sheeple" and I don't care how regular
            "sheeple" think, anyway. *
            *I don't think too many people think the USFS fire service is not a fire
            department or perhaps I'm wrong and they wear green.*
            *Also, being I'm a curmudgeon about change I also hold tradition in high
            esteem and to me the CDF is the CDF and you know what? I'm going to keep
            referring to it as such. *
            *I always felt "CDF Fire" was more than good enough to convey the
            "non-forestry" nature of the CDF.*
            *These are just my opinions of course and I'm not saying any other opinion
            is wrong but this is just how I feel it. *

            *Kim*

            --
            Check out my Myspace Profile at http://www.myspace.com/kimusinteruptus
            Check out http://www.atascaderoalumni.org if you attended Atascadero High
          • Tim Chavez
            Message 5 of 29 , Feb 8, 2007
              Kim

              Here here! Well said.

              Tim Chavez

            • nitrobear@comcast.net
              Message 6 of 29 , Feb 8, 2007
                Kim,
                Excellent thoughts. I am in complete agreement...it will always be CDF to me too!
                In every single other western state fire service, CDF is a legendary name, service and example of excellence pretty much known world wide!
                Thanks Kim....

                --
                Nitrobear

                From: "Kim Noyes" <kimnoyes@...>
                *Cap, *

                Message 7 of 29 , Feb 8, 2007
                  Kim:

                  Beautifully put.

                  PA
                • John Fisher
                  Message 8 of 29 , Feb 8, 2007
                    Actually Kim, they're "Forestry Technicians" unless you're a politician referring to them at a funeral, and then they're firefighters.

                    JF

                    Message 9 of 29 , Feb 8, 2007
                      John,
                      You mean forest technicians with pulaskis, shovels, chainsaws, helmets,
                      steel-tipped boots, goggles, gloves, baked potato bags and Nomex everything
                      riding Type 3 engines equiped with small-bore hoses? ;-p
                      Forest "technicianing" sounds awful exciting to me! ;-)

                      Der Kimster

                      Message 10 of 29 , Feb 9, 2007
                        Hi,

                        Unless you have worked in the field you wouldnt know
                        the stigmatism that goes along with having any part of
                        forestry in your name... Although it may seem to you
                        that follow the fire circuit, it is often a thankless
                        meaningless job rolling into medical aids and having
                        people ask why your their to count trees or if their
                        is an injured tree... being called parked rangers or
                        sheriffs, being treated as a second class citizen,
                        although their is no way for the Forest Service to
                        climb out of their hole which they are forestry
                        technicians which do thinning and trail cleaning
                        projects when not assigned to fires, CDF on the other
                        hand i dont know how many times i be out in the
                        wonderfully ignorant public and had to try to explain
                        i'm not part of the forest service and I'm a well
                        trained firefighter just as with any municipal
                        department, and not just some ditch digger or tree
                        counter..
                        --- Kim Noyes <kimnoyes@...> wrote:

                        > John,
                        > You mean forest technicians with pulaskis, shovels,
                        > chainsaws, helmets,
                        > steel-tipped boots, goggles, gloves, baked potato
                        > bags and Nomex everything
                        > riding Type 3 engines equiped with small-bore hoses?
                        > ;-p
                        > Forest "technicianing" sounds awful exciting to me!
                        > ;-)
                        >
                        > Der Kimster
                        >

                        > On 2/8/07, John Fisher <thefishmail@...>
                        > wrote:
                        > >
                        > > Actually Kim, they're "Forestry Technicians"
                        > unless you're a politician
                        > > referring to them at a funeral, and then they're
                        > firefighters.
                        > >
                        > > JF
                        > >
                        > > Kim Noyes <kimnoyes@...
                        > <kimnoyes%40gmail.com>> wrote:
                        > > *I don't think too many people think the USFS fire
                        > service is not a fire
                        > > department or perhaps I'm wrong and they wear
                        > green.*

                        > removed]
                        > >

                        > --
                        > Check out my Myspace Profile at
                        > http://www.myspace.com/kimusinteruptus
                        > Check out http://www.atascaderoalumni.org if you
                        > attended Atascadero High
                        > School.
                        > Check out

                        > Check out my late grandfather teach the Word of God
                        > at http://www.ttb.org

                        > removed]

                        > mail directly at norcalfire-owner@yahoogroups.com
                        > Yahoo! Groups Links

                        http://mobile.yahoo.com/mail
                      • John Miller
                        Message 11 of 29 , Feb 9, 2007
                          Oh boy.

                          --- Kim Noyes <kimnoyes@...> wrote:

                          > John,
                          > You mean forest technicians with pulaskis, shovels,
                          > chainsaws, helmets,
                          > steel-tipped boots, goggles, gloves, baked potato
                          > bags and Nomex everything
                          > riding Type 3 engines equiped with small-bore hoses?
                          > ;-p
                          > Forest "technicianing" sounds awful exciting to me!
                          > ;-)
                          >
                          > Der Kimster
                          >

                          > On 2/8/07, John Fisher <thefishmail@...>
                          > wrote:
                          > >
                          > > Actually Kim, they're "Forestry Technicians"
                          > unless you're a politician
                          > > referring to them at a funeral, and then they're
                          > firefighters.
                          > >
                          > > JF
                          > >
                          > > Kim Noyes <kimnoyes@...
                          > <kimnoyes%40gmail.com>> wrote:
                          > > *I don't think too many people think the USFS fire
                          > service is not a fire
                          > > department or perhaps I'm wrong and they wear
                          > green.*

                          > removed]
                          > >

                          > --
                          > Check out my Myspace Profile at
                          > http://www.myspace.com/kimusinteruptus
                          > Check out http://www.atascaderoalumni.org if you
                          > attended Atascadero High
                          > School.
                          > Check out

                          > Check out my late grandfather teach the Word of God
                          > at http://www.ttb.org

                          > removed]

                          > mail directly at norcalfire-owner@yahoogroups.com
                          > Yahoo! Groups Links

                        • Kim Noyes
                          Message 12 of 29 , Feb 9, 2007
                            *Dear Sir, *
                            *I'm sorry you have you been "stigmatized" by being erroneously mistaken for
                            Ranger Rick.*
                            *Many of Joe Citizens like me have never been under any false impressions
                            about the mission of the CDF or USFS for that matter. *
                            *I hope the name change makes your career more enjoyable but, unfortunately,
                            it won't make dumb sheeple any less dumb.*
                            **
                            *Kim
                            *

                            --
                            Check out my Myspace Profile at http://www.myspace.com/kimusinteruptus
                            Check out http://www.atascaderoalumni.org if you attended Atascadero High
                            School.
                          • Dave Blackmon
                            Message 13 of 29 , Feb 9, 2007
                              ".and not just some ditch digger or tree counter."

                              Pretty damning statement and prime display of The CDF arrogance over
                              Forestry. Sad situation, it takes both sides to tend the forest.

                              Dave Blackmon

                              Former full time tree counter & ditch digger, part time fire fighter.

                            • George.Cusack@alldata.com
                              Message 14 of 29 , Feb 9, 2007
                                Uh oh. This is getting ugly. I don't know a single person down here in Amador who doesn't have total respect for the USFS, CDF, and local FPD firefighters. There are some folks who don't know the difference and frankly don't care about the difference, but they do care that you men and women are out there.
                                If you need a hug, I just gave you one.

                                Message 15 of 29 , Feb 9, 2007
                                  Thanks George, I feel much, much better now.
                                  danfromord

                                  George.Cusack@... wrote: Uh oh. This is getting ugly. I don't know a single person down here in Amador who doesn't have total respect for the USFS, CDF, and local FPD firefighters. There are some folks who don't know the difference and frankly don't care about the difference, but they do care that you men and women are out there.

                                  Message 16 of 29 , Feb 10, 2007
                                    CDF digs ditches?

                                    I agree with George; most people don't give a darn if you are 'FORESTRY' or
                                    'FIRE'....you're there when it counts, doing what matters most.

                                    I still prefer CDF though. LOL!!! :)

                                    PA
                                  • Butte County Public Safety Scanner
                                    Message 17 of 29 , Feb 10, 2007
                                      I agree with Pamela. The name "CDF" has special meaning for me too. When my
                                      father joined CDF in 1987, he was very proud to have done so and he had a
                                      habit of pointing out CDF fire trucks to the whole family every time he saw
                                      one rolling down the street by saying "CDF!" It then became a family thing
                                      and every time one of us saw any CDF equipment, we would yell out "CDF!" Sad
                                      to see it go.

                                      Thomas Miller

                                      Butte County Public Safety Scanner

                                      "Serving Our Community Through Information Sharing"

                                      http://www.thenet411.net

                                      _____

                                      Message 18 of 29 , Feb 10, 2007
                                        In CDF Fire, we used to explain the difference between CDF and USFS as,
                                        "We're ForesTREE, they're Forest SERVICE."
                                        And of course both agencies have had nicknames (we won't mention).

                                        Fire suppression related activities (including medical aid and hazmat) are
                                        _one aspect_ of CAL FIRE's mission of protecting and enhancing forest,
                                        range, and watershed values providing social, economic, and environmental
                                        benefits to rural and urban citizens. Fire is a part of earth's natural
                                        cycles we humans foolishly try so hard to combat or ignore.

                                        There's more to "protecting and enhancing" than putting out fires.

                                        Cap

                                      • Kim Noyes
                                        Message 19 of 29 , Feb 10, 2007
                                          *Cap, *
                                          *No!*
                                          *Tell us what they used to nickname you guys and the "Forest SERVICE"!?*
                                          *;-p*
                                          **
                                          *Kim*

                                          Message 20 of 29 , Feb 10, 2007
                                            Uh uh. Suffice it to say (for both agencies) they were usually derogatory,
                                            sometimes profane, and not at all conducive toward today's vital objective
                                            of interoperability (under ICS and NIMS), especially in our "post 9/11"
                                            world.

                                            And this is a "family" forum! <grin>

                                            Cap

                                            <snip>
                                          • goldwinger16@comcast.net
                                            Message 21 of 29 , Feb 10, 2007
                                              this thread is getting BORING

                                              From: "Cap Pennell" <ke6afe@...>
                                              Uh uh. Suffice it to say (for both agencies) they were usually derogatory,
                                              sometimes profane, and not at all conducive toward today's vital objective
                                              of interoperability (under ICS and NIMS), especially in our "post 9/11"
                                              world.

                                              And this is a "family" forum! <grin>

                                              Cap

                                            • Don Root
                                              Message 22 of 29 , Feb 10, 2007
                                                goldwinger16@... wrote:
                                                > this thread is getting BORING

                                                Hint: "Delete" key.
                                              • Kim Noyes
                                                Message 23 of 29 , Feb 10, 2007
                                                  Actually, I find it rather fascinating.
                                                  There are plenty of threads on here and on all Yahoogroups I'm on that I
                                                  could give a rat's ass about but I simply ignore them.
                                                  Yahoogroups are like individual parties: some folks are the life of the
                                                  party and some are party poopers and some conversations are of interest to
                                                  oneself and some are not and one simply involves oneself in those convos
                                                  that are of interest and ignores those that are not by taking Don's advice.

                                                  Der Kimster