Re: [NorCalFire] Shasta/Trinity: Control burn over whiskeytown?

  • hosgs1@webtv.net
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 8, 2006
      didnt see any flames but just the smoke. maybe with the anticipation of
      the rain they squeezed one in.

      -Ron
    • nitrobear@comcast.net
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 8, 2006
        I have heard a lot of USFS troops today reporting in on control burns on the Lassen and Shasta Trinity.
        Sounds like they are getting the burns done with no issues and from what I've heard at least, 15-35 acres of "piles" which sound like brush maybe?
        Temps falling like a rock in NW Chico tonight down to 49 now and low 40's tonight. Time to light the wood stove finally.
        Heard Butte county on an incident up near Yankee Hill/Hwy 70 this afternoon. Apparently a big rig.tanker over the edge. Full hazmatt response. I wasn't able to follow the traffic but did hear one of the initial response units report "just diesel" smell and looks like that was it.
        Later, like about 2 hours or more, I heard the IC reporting the Medi-vac had just taken off with the driver to Enloe in Chico.
        The technical rescue must have been pretty ugly as that is very steep country. Any details?

        Thanks!
        --
        Nitrobear

        From: hosgs1@...

        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 8, 2006
          I looked up in the area today and figured it was south of Bully Choop
          along the ridge. It was twilight when I first spotted it and the Bully
          Choop peak was hidden in the smoke so I couldn't get an exact location.
          Today there was absolutely nothing and the air was crystal clear. In
          fact we had some veggie calls in TGU today. So must have been a control
          burn on that ridge. I know we don't get much "fall" up here so they like
          to get these burns in as fast as possible while the vegetation is still
          burnable. Otherwise they're pressed against fire season when the grasses
          are still wet but fire season started and they can't burn.

          Don't know about the Hwy70 call. That does sound ugly, and
          multi-discipline with the hazmat, traffic, medical, and tech rescue all
          involved probably.
          Jake