New Fire - Tom Head Lookout?

  • sh9730
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 1, 2006
      Ok, Im bored today...nothing happenin down south here yet, so I see
      CHP CAD incident reporting LARGE fire behind Tom Head lookout in the
      MNF (Oh yea, Mendocino Natl Forest!).

      Anything good?
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 1, 2006
        I believe this is the Harvey Incident that was discussed earlier with
        the picture of the plume from the valley. I'm sure CHP just put it on
        CAD since they were getting lots of calls from travellers. It is a good
        column. This fire, as seen from the valley, is behind Tomhead peak. It
        is actually deeper into the wilderness and as far as I know,
        isn't/shouldn't be threatening the lookout (well, 5ish miles as crow
        flies northeast of fire.) I haven't been listening to anything for 1.5
        days though (wedding in family) so things could have changed. I have
        been keeping an eye on the smoke up there - definitely grew in size and
        might be seeing flames from the valley along the ridge (if it is indeed
        threatening Tomhead.)

        I think I heard last week a few strikes right below the lookout and that
        she had to stay awake and active until a crew got there or an airdrop
        occurred so it wouldn't sneak up on her. She was stating something
        Friday about being relieved shortly (after 3 days of probably 24hour
        eyes-open, squatting on the lightning stool, I'd want a relief too.)

        Jake

      • nitrobear@comcast.net
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 1, 2006
          Not to drag this out but I heard the lookout say she was on the stool for awhile and was pulling the plug because stirkes were within a mile She, fairly quickly came back on and said she was back on the air. MNF, (Mendocino National Forest), dispatch was concerned that the cell had passed and she said it had lost it's punch and was moving east.
          A little later, maybe 10 minutes, she came on and I think might have been talking to a mobile MNF unit and told him that she would be on until 24:00 and would leave the radio on in case anyone needed help or a relay.
          I've been up to that lookout. It's a great radio location and just sees about everything from Redding to Yuba City +/- haze and smog. I suspect it really attracts strikes too! ;-(
          If the lookout is 5 NE of the fire, that probably puts it in the vicinity of the old Patton Mills area doesn't it Jake? I had a repeater up there in the brush field many years ago and that area was always ripe to burn. I doubt it was there or we would see it clearly from Chico.

          Nitrobear

          From: Jake H <yahoo@...>

          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 2, 2006
            Harvey Complex Fire is 5 miles SW of Tomhead at 200 acres. There are
            five fires in the Complex, with Harvey and Harvey 2 burning together and
            being used for fire benefit in the Yolla Bolla Wilderness. The Ceder
            fire is being suppressed and two other fires have possibly burnt out.
            Patton Mills radio site is about 14 miles south of Tomhead. I've hiked
            to that little shack-in-the-woods. :)

            Jake

          • nitrobear@comcast.net
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 2, 2006
              Ok, I guess my memory of the distance was flawed. I drove up to the shack once in my Jeep. Coming back down scared the #e!! out of me and I never did it again!

              Nitrobear

              From: Jake H <yahoo@...>