13104File - NCFposting.txt

  • norcalfire@yahoogroups.com
    Apr 1, 2008
      How and what to post on NorCalFire.

      1. Northern California Fire Radio

      Any and all questions regarding how to monitor fire radio are welcome on NorCalFire. This may include how certain agencies work, their frequencies, methods of operation, and any other info to better our listening hobby. This list is also used for incident information for fires in Northern California.

      2. Common Sense:

      We know it's a fire. We know it's a new fire. So don't post New Fire or New Start in the subject line. By the 2nd message about the fire, it isn't new anymore. We'll see a new fire started by seeing a post with a new subject line. This is a pet peeve of mine, and many others. Expect it enforced.

      3. Subject Lines:

      Get at least the following: County or Jurisdiction, general location, incident name. Example subject lines that please everybody include:
      Butte - Honey Run Canyon
      SHF Bolli Incident
      Timber Fire, Lassen USFS Turner Mtn
      Calavaras - Alpine Lake fire?

      4. No one-liners, or one-acres, or thank-yous, or you're-welcomes.

      This goes for the "play-by-play" posters. Please combine the information that you've gathered into a larger post. If you're posting sooner than every 15-30 minutes about a fire, you're posting too much. Wait for a size-up of the fire before posting. If it sounds like a large incident with lots of radio monitoring potential, then post it.

      No Strike Team deployments, unless they're going to a Northern California fire that isn't posted on the list yet.

      Don't send thank you's (or if one gets through, don't send you're welcomes back") to the list. If a large fire got covered nicely on the list, and it is quiet on the list, and you were directly affected by the posts regarding that fire, you may thank the list or the particular people. If this is abused, you will be asked to stop. This just adds to an already busy list.

      5. Replying

      Read all messages before replying. You might be replying to a question that got answered ten times already. Also use one message to reply to all items for any particular topic.\

      6. Acronyms
      Learn them. Do not complain about them. Too many people on the list use these acronyms in their daily lives. They do not need to stop when posting to this list. It is expected of you to learn these acronyms if you want to enjoy fire radio of any degree. Acronyms are readily available on the Internet. There is a link to acronyms etc. at the bottom of every post. Use it.
      http://fire.norcalscan.org/glossary.html
    • Show all 104 messages in this topic