Fwd: From Friends of Animals: Oppose the "Secure Fence Act of 2006"

  • nonhumanavenger@animalrightsveganprinces
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 3, 2006
      -----Original Message-----
      From: feral@...
      Sent: Mon, 2 Oct 2006 5:40 PM
      Subject: From Friends of Animals: Oppose the "Secure Fence Act of 2006"

      For Immediate Release: 3 October 2006 Friends of Animals 777 Post Road Darien, CT 06820

      Contact: Priscilla Feral, President
      Tel: 203.656.1522
      E-mail: feral @ friendsofanimals.org

      Senate Passes Fence Bill;
      Call and Urge George W. Bush Not to Sign Bill

      Darien, Conn., U.S. -- In addition to asking our members, supporters and guests to strongly oppose the Animal Enterprise Terrorism [sic] Act, we
      request that you ask the White House NOT to Sign the "Secure Fence Act of
      2006."

      On Friday 29 September the U.S. Senate passed this bill, which authorizes
      700 miles of new, double-layered fencing along the U.S.-Mexico border. The
      bill was originally introduced in the House of Representatives as a piece of
      their authoritarian approach to border control.

      Barriers don't selectively obstruct the movement and survival of one species
      alone. Migration happens with every species, such as the nectar bats and
      pronghorn whose migration corridors are put at risk as border construction
      continues.

      This fence would damage protected lands and break up the habitat of jaguars
      and desert bighorn sheep.

      Sonoran pronghorn antelopes are now unique to the Arizonan and Mexican
      flatlands. The three main threats facing pronghorns surviving into adulthood
      are the loss of habitat associated with construction, being hit by vehicles,
      and fencing: Pronghorn don't jump. Construction also affects plant life,
      including the agave, a critical food source for migrating bats.

      On behalf of all species -- our own and others -- we oppose spending
      precious resources on fencing the border.

      White House phone number is: 202.456.1414. Call today. Tell the White
      House:

      * Do not sign the "Secure Fence Act of 2006."
      * No amount of additional fencing addresses the root causes of migration.
      * The fence will not guarantee anyone's security, but it will further
      imperil a number of animal and plant species already at risk.
      * Comprehensive immigration approach respects the civil rights and civil
      liberties of everyone, and it respects our environment. This fence endangers
      all of that.

      Friends of Animals, headquartered in Darien, Connecticut, has been a global
      leader in animal-rights advocacy since 1957.

      - 30 -