ActionAlert!

  • Alexandra Yurkiw
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 13, 2005
      -----Original Message-----
      From: penzelda@yahoogroups.com [mailto:penzelda@yahoogroups.com] On
      Behalf Of Zelda
      Sent: Tuesday, November 08, 2005 12:33 PM
      To: Penzel, Zelda
      Subject: [penzelda] ActionAlert! Egypt poisons homeless cats and dogs

      PLEASE FORWARD. TAKE ACTION - SEE BELOW: Sample letter to send to
      Egyptian Officials

      From: ITD <itd@...>

      <b>It's Their Destiny<b>
      <http://us.f505.mail.yahoo.com/ym/Upload?Data=upl1300252222>
      <http://www.2kat.net/itstheirdestiny>
      "It's Their Destiny"

      News items on Asian animal abuse

      7th November 2005

      Egyptian authorities poison campaign against strays

      Dear Friends

      The following request for assistance is from our friends at Society for
      Protection of Animal Rights in Egypt ( <http://www.sparealife.org>
      www.sparealife.org). Their struggle is particularly difficult. The
      Egyptian authorities have little regard for the suffering of animals,
      but they may respond to international pressure. Your emails can really
      help this time. Please join in this campaign and show our colleagues at
      SPARE that they are not alone.
      Mona at SPARE ( <mailto:Mona@...> Mona@...)
      states:
      "The Egyptian veterinary authorities in Giza announced today in AL
      AKHBAR the nation wide newspaper that it is starting its campaign to
      poison cats and dogs, despite the fact that the Giza area had
      spaying/neutering projectdone through vier pfoten organization from
      Austria in cooperation with the society for protection of animal rights
      in Egypt (SPARE & the Egyptian society for Animal friends ( ESAF), A 5
      year neutering project with WSPA to neuter animals in this governorate
      was discussed and agreed with the head of the veterinary department in
      Egypt, the project is due to start in few weeks.They are using
      strychnine that is prohibited world wide ( harmful for people &
      environment) and claim that the animal die in 5 minutes which is not
      true as the animal sometimes suffer for hours or days before it dies or
      otherwise we would not have received all these numbers of poisoned cats
      and dogs at our shelters and saved them.Following is ! the translation
      of the article and the Arabic article itself, please cross post and
      write to international organizations worldwide to help the animal groups
      in Egypt fighting this battle alone .An e-mail will follow with e-mail
      addresses and contacts of Egyptian embassies worldwide, please help us
      and do not ignore anything you can do to help those animals. Please
      Please help."
      _____

      Translation of Al Akhbar's report (30/10/05):
      "The veterinary authority of Giza governorate under the Chairman of Dr.
      Abdullah Badr established a committee to eliminate stray dogs and cats
      in Giza governorate due to complaints from some governmental and private
      entities. The committee is carrying out 10 campaigns daily within the
      framework of a plan to cover the whole governorate. They are using 10
      kg. daily of Strychnine for dogs and Temec for cats. They put half a
      gram of the poison on a piece of raw meat or fish weighing 70 grams and
      distribute it in areas where the cats and dogs gather. The meat and fish
      for dogs inside private areas are provided by the owners of these areas
      and the dogs and cats in the street get the meat from the leftovers of
      the slaughter houses. The members of the campaigns wear masks and each
      animal is surrounded by 4 persons as the poisoned animal suffer after
      eating from severe stomach-ache and dies in 5 minutes, after which
      police cars carry the dead animal to the burning house ! of the faculty
      of veterinary medicine of Cairo university to be burnt and later buried
      in the desert."
      _____

      Mona continues:
      "We are desperate for your help, animal organizations in Egypt are
      taking it upon themselves alone to carry on neuter programs and
      vaccinating strays to avoid this destiny for them, but it seems that all
      our efforts are not appreciated by the government or the vet authorities
      that are not carrying their main job of helping and treating animals
      instead of poisoning them.We are also calling upon Vier pfoten to
      protest to this action as many of the animals they worked on in May and
      June of 2005 will be the victims, not to mention that other areas as
      hurghada and sharm sheikh and dahab already had the same action carried
      on dogs that were already neutered and vaccinated."
      _____

      Sample protest email but, as always, please write an original if you
      can:

      Honorable Government Officials:
      Honorable Ladies and Gentlemen:

      Word has reached the world/global community that Egyptian veterinary
      authorities in Giza have announced a poison campaign against cats and
      dogs despite the fact that the Giza area has had a spaying/neutering
      project done through Vier pfoten, an organization from Austria, in
      cooperation with the Society for Protection of Animal Rights in Egypt
      (SPARE) and the Egyptian Society for Animal Friends (ESAF).

      A five year neutering project with WSPA to neuter animals in this
      governorate was discussed and agreed upon with the head of the
      veterinary department in Egypt; the project is due to start in a few
      weeks. Moreover, it has been learned that they are using strychnine, a
      poison that is prohibited world wide because it is so harmful for people
      and the environment, and have made the specious claim that the animal
      dies in 5 minutes. Evidence shows that this is not true as the animal
      sometimes suffers for hours or days, causing a horrible, lingering and
      painful death, before the animal finally dies. There is no doubt that
      many innocent animals, people's pets, birds and wildlife, will also be
      doomed to accidental poisoning as a result of this inhumane plan.

      Compassionate citizens everywhere are mindful of the issues and problems
      posed to a community when there are large numbers of stray animals.
      Nevertheless this is not a proper or humane solution and the price to be
      paid by innocent creatures is unacceptable in a civilized society. It
      goes without saying, that the cruel killing animals will not be viewed
      positively, by anyone considering visiting Egypt. We therefore urge you
      to take prompt action to cease the barbaric poisoning of innocent
      animals and to make every effort to work with the volunteer
      organizations that are anxious and willing to help.

      We look forward to your reply.

      Sincerely,
      (Name/Country)

      Honorable Ambassador/Counsel of Egypt

      Please send to:

      info@...,
      ConsularSection@...,
      consgeneg@...,
      embassy.egypt@...,
      Embassy@...,
      embassy@...,
      egyptemb@...,
      cetech@...,
      ambassadedegypteaparis@...,
      egyptembassyvienna@...,
      educult.eg@...,
      Counsellor@...,
      commercial@...,
      ambegyptvatican@...,
      drfadia@...,
      Mot@...

      You can also leave online messages on the following sites:

      http://www.egypt.org.au <http://www.egypt.org.au/>
      http://www.agri.gov.eg <http://www.agri.gov.eg/>
      http://www.egypttourism.org <http://www.egypttourism.org/>

      _____

      Our thanks to Zelda for the sample email.

      Our continued thanks to all of you for your support and for caring
      enough to want to make a difference.

      From all the team at ITD

      If not through another list, you will have received this email because
      you either have helped with a campaign or requested to receive these
      emails in the past. We have no wish to send "spam", so if you do not
      want to receive similar news items from us , just send a blank email to
      <mailto:itd@...> itd@... with subject line "Unsubscribe".
      Our updates are sent as html - if you receive in simple text through
      another list and would like to receive in the original format, email
      itd@... with subject line "Subscribe".

      <http://itstheirdestiny.2kat.net/> http://itstheirdestiny.2kat.net

      if you want to be taken off this list, please respond with the word
      remove

      Thanks,
      Ruma Singh
      USA Coordinator
      It's Their Destiny
      itd-usa@...
      &
      On Loan to:
      Elly Maynard
      Chairman
      Sirius GAO Charitable Trust
      http://sirius.2kat.net <http://sirius.2kat.net/>
      _____

      Yahoo!
      <http://us.lrd.yahoo.com/_ylc=X3oDMTFqODRtdXQ4BF9TAzMyOTc1MDIEX3MDOTY2OD
      gxNjkEcG9zAzEEc2VjA21haWwtZm9vdGVyBHNsawNmYw--/SIG=110oav78o/**http%3a/f
      arechase.yahoo.com/> FareChase - Search multiple travel sites in one
      click.

      Animal
      <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Animal+rights&w1=Animal+rights&w2=A
      nimal+right+shirt&w3=Animal+rights+activists&c=3&s=72&.sig=Nkmdf1LJJDhrQ
      8f5xy7N5A> rights
      Animal
      <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Animal+right+shirt&w1=Animal+rights
      &w2=Animal+right+shirt&w3=Animal+rights+activists&c=3&s=72&.sig=vGMJpJON
      gJaj9uVW6PPzoA> right shirt
      Animal
      <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Animal+rights+activists&w1=Animal+r
      ights&w2=Animal+right+shirt&w3=Animal+rights+activists&c=3&s=72&.sig=_eM
      HewuJWqHmfeJUyjQn2g> rights activists

      _____

      YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

      * Visit your group "penzelda