[nolphiladelphia] *NON-voting Youth Focus Groups: A Second Appeal for Participants

  • Ed Schwartz
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 4, 2000
      As we posted last week, on January 12th and 13th ISCV will be conducting
      focus groups for young people (not all *that* young, however--between
      20 and 24 years old) who aren't in college and don't vote.

      The national group known as the "Democracy Project"
      that we're working with wants to get a better
      idea of *why* young, eligible voters don't vote --so that we can
      find ways to make the political process more relevant to them.

      We have had quite a lot of response to our original notice on this.
      THE PROBLEM IS THAT OUT OF 80 YOUNG PEOPLE WHO HAVE
      CALLED, ONLY 6 HAVE QUALIFIED.

      Most of them either:
      a) vote; are b)in college. Or both.

      So..let me repeat what we need again:

      We need people between the ages of 20 an 24 who DO NOT VOTE.

      They must be Philadelphia residents who are NOT IN COLLEGE.

      Since the national project is already conducting focus groups of its own
      involving Hispanic and Asian-American non-voters,
      here the participants must be either AFRICAN-AMERICAN or CAUCASIAN.

      Those are the requirements. No one else need apply.

      THOSE NON-VOTING YOUNG PEOPLE WHO *DO* FIT
      THIS DESCRIPTION SHOULD CALL KELLY GREEN AT
      215-238-1434.

      She will conduct
      a five-minute interview to determine if they do qualify.
      They will be given the exact time and place for the focus
      group. And each participant will be paid a stipend for
      taking part in the group.

      So here-again is the challenge:

      There are 400+ activists, agency staff, and people
      who work for government receiving this notice.

      At meeting after meeting, we hear speeches about the importance
      of "reaching out" to young people.

      So..between everyone here..and every *program* represented here,
      can we find 74 AFRICAN-AMERICAN OR CAUCASIAN
      YOUNG PEOPLE BETWEEN 20 AND 24 YEARS OLD,
      (BUT NOT IN COLLEGE) WHO DO NOT VOTE?

      That number to call again is 215-238-1434. Ask for Kelly Green.

      Ed Schwartz, Institute for the Study of Civic Values, 1218 Chestnut St.,
      Rm. 702, Philadelphia, Pa. 19107 215-238-1434 edcivic@...

      The ISCV home page can be reached at
      http://libertynet.org/~edcivic/iscvhome.html
      Also check out "Neighborhoods Online" at http://libertynet.org/nol/natl.html.

      "Citizenship is the American ideal. There may be an army of actualities
      opposed to that ideal, but there is no ideal opposed to that ideal."
      --G.K. Chesterton