RESTORE Reentry Services! Call Your Council Person Today!

  • Ed Schwartz
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 1, 2009

      rom: Hannah Zellman [ mailto:zellman@...]
      Sent: Tuesday, March 31, 2009 1:55 PM
      To: Prison Summit; prhcn@...
      Cc: 'Laura McTighe'; shull@...
      Subject: URGENT! Call Your Council Person Today!

      Forgive Duplicates and Forward Widely to Your Networks!

      Please take a moment and make this important phone call! Tell city council to vote for a budget that MAINTAINS and RESTORES critical reentry supports and services. Attached and below please find a call script that you can use to help frame your argument. Attached is contact information for city council members.

      Take Action! Call Your Councilperson on TUESDAY, MARCH 31ST
      Tell Your Councilmember to RESTORE Reentry Services!
      “Hi. My name is (your name) and I live in (your neighborhood)/ or my Councilmember is (name of councilmember)”
      #1 Personal Touch
      #2 Issue Detail
      #3 “The Ask”
      My experience coming home from prison/jail showed me just how important reentry services are (personal story)…
      The Mayor’s budget assumes that we will fail in diversion, recidivism, and reentry programs in our city. The budget cuts or eliminates the very programs that could help reduce recidivism and enable ex-offenders to reenter their communities.
      Please tell Councilperson _________ to vote for a city budget that prioritizes programs that will reduce recidivism and help ex-offenders successfully reenter our neighborhoods – restore/don’t cut essential services such as GED degree programs, OPTIONS and FIR drug treatment, mentorship programs and vocational and job training supports.
      As an ex-offender/loved one of someone behind bars/advocate who works in criminal justice, it is important to me that we take every step to support folks coming home from prison and jail, which means we need to maintain critical services that ease the often difficult transition…
      The Mayor’s Budget plan assumes fewer inmates will receive GED degrees than in 2005 or 2006; it assumes that 500 fewer inmates will participate in the OPTIONS program in FY 09 than did in FY 05.  It assumes that 200 fewer inmates will receive employment and vocational training in FY 09 than did in FY 05.
      Please ask Councilperson __________ to vote for a city budget that prioritizes programs that will reduce recidivism and help ex-offenders successfully reenter our neighborhoods – restore/don’t cut essential services such as GED degree programs, OPTIONS and FIR drug treatment, and vocational and job training supports.
      As a person of faith, I am deeply concerned about the impact of reentry on my community. I am calling to urge Councilperson (______) to meet the challenge and restore reentry services that will be slashed in the Mayor’s budget plan…
      The City’s Prison Budget is the only expenditure projected to increase in the first version of the Mayor’s five-year plan. These continuing increases, more than any other expenditure, paralyze our efforts to address city services, the economic crisis and neighborhood renewal.
      Please tell Councilperson________ to vote for a budget that makes supporting returning inmates a priority. This is the ONLY way to reduce recidivism and renew our communities.
      I / My community / family / friend is impacted by reentry and we need you to vote for a budget that restores reentry services and supports neighborhood renewal by supporting returning prisoners…
      Currently, close to 10,000 people are incarcerated in the Philadelphia Prison System, and the population is growing.  Mayor Nutter’s own Philadelphia Prison System Strategic Plan recommended alternatives to incarceration, proposed increased services for ex-offenders, and suggested a comprehensive strategy to address recidivism.
      It’s important to me and to my [community/ church/ support group / organization] for Councilperson __________ to vote for a budget that restores critical reentry services, such as job and vocational training, GED programs, faith based mentorship programs, and drug treatment programs.

      __________________________________
      Hannah Zellman, MSW
      Director of Prison Services
      Lead Instructor, Project TEACH Outside
      Philadelphia FIGHT
      1233 Locust St, 5th floor
      Philadelphia, PA 19107
      tel. 215.985.4448 x162
      fax.215.985.4952
      zellman@...

      www.fight.org

      Important: This e-mail message and any attachments is intended for the exclusive use of the recipient(s) named above.  It may contain information that is protected, privileged, or confidential, and it should not be disseminated, distributed, or copied to persons not authorized to receive such information.  If you are not the intended recipient, any dissemination, distribution, or copying is strictly prohibited.  If you think you have received this e-mail message in error, please notify the sender immediately.

      Ed Schwartz, Institute for the Study of Civic Values, 1218 Chestnut St.,
      Rm. 702, Philadelphia, Pa. 19107 215-238-1434 edcivic@...

      ISCV web site: http://www.iscv.org
      Also Check out  http://www.phillyneighborhoods.org
      Or http://PhillyBlocks.org

      "Citizenship is the American ideal. There may be an army of actualities
      opposed to that ideal, but there is no ideal opposed to that ideal."
                                     --G.K. Chesterton