PhillyBlocks at Block Captains Rally; News Story on Bush Budget Cuts in Philadelphia; News and Updates on Schools, Crime, and Housing.

  • Ed Schwartz
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 3, 2006

      PhillyBlocks Gets Strong Response at Philadelphia More Beautiful Rally

      More than 180 people signed up with PhillyBlocks at the Philadelphia More Beautiful Rally on Saturday, including at least 40 who participated in our workshop. We will be inviting all the people who signed up to the PhillyBlocks list. I was also given the opportunity to speak the entire group when the rally itself got underway. When I asked how many people had internet access and used email, an overwhelming majority raised their hands. Clearly, we now have the ability to strengthen and expand this network significantly in the coming year. Public thanks to the Streets Department and the Philadelphia More Beautiful Committee for giving us this opportunity.

      Philadelphia Daily News Runs Strong Story on Impact of Bush Budget Cuts on Philadelphia

      With a little prodding, we were able to persuade the Philadelphia Daily News to run a story today on the impact of Bush Budget Cuts on Philadelphia. It appears on page 8 of the print edition--you know what we used just to call the paper. You can access the story online via http://bushbudget.com. Just click on the banner at the top of the page. Beyond our own data, the story quotes Mayor Street as saying, "Unfortunately, we don't know exactly the impact of the cuts, but I can you the cuts are dramatic. The worst part of it is there doesn't seem to be any end in sight." Rob Dubow--the City's former Finance Directory who is the now the Executive Director of the Pennsylvania Intergovernmental Cooperation Authority (PICA) points out that federal reimbursement costs for youth programs dropped by 45% betweeen 2005 and 2006. Our Senators and Congresspeople are back in Philadelphia for the next several days. We should be letting them know what we think about all this.

      Neighborhood News and Notes Stories in March-Early April

      Neighborhoods  News and Notes  links to the Philadelphia Inquirer School Report Card (check out how your school is doing), and stories about the rising price of homes, the consolidation of City housing agencies, drug use in the schools and the City's dropout rate, and gentrification East of Broad.

      Ed Schwartz, Institute for the Study of Civic Values, 1218 Chestnut St.,
      Rm. 702, Philadelphia, Pa. 19107 215-238-1434 edcivic@...

      ISCV web site: http://www.iscv.org
      Also Check out  "Neighborhoods Online" at http://www.neighborhoodsonline.net.
      Or in Philadelphia: http://www.phillyneighborhoods.org

      "Citizenship is the American ideal. There may be an army of actualities
      opposed to that ideal, but there is no ideal opposed to that ideal."
                                     --G.K. Chesterton