Bush 2005 Budget: Domestic Programs Must Be Cut

  • Ed Schwartz
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 1, 2004
      We will be hearing a great deal about the Bush administration's second term domestic agenda over the next few days.

      Below is what the Bush administration''s 2005 Budget says about future growth in 'discretionary' programs (meaning housing, job training, kids, health protection, crime,etc.).

      On September 10th, we will be getting  detailed information from the Center for Budget and Policy Priorities  about what the administration really wants to do with domestic programs over the next five years. This is not what *we* say. It is what the administration itself says (in the fine print, to be sure).

      Register for the Federal Cutbacks Town Meeting  now: Friday, September 10th, from 8:30-12:30 PM, National Constitution Center, 525 Arch St., Kirby Auditorium, 2nd Floor.

      Register here and join us:

      http://www.phillyneighborhoods.org/FederalCutbacks

      Bush 2005 Budget on Domestic Programs----------:

                                                GROWTH IN DISCRETIONARY SPENDING DECLINES

      Percent Growth in Non-Defense, Non Homeland Security Budgetary Authority Including Supplementals:

      2001   15%
      2002     6%
      2003     5%
      2004     4%
      2005     1%

      Spending discipline is also critical to keeping the deficit on a declining path. Even as the Administration has increased funding in the critical areas of defense and homeland security, it has sought to ensure that spending outside these key areas is held to minimal growth. In 2001, the last budget year of the previous Administration, domestic spending unrelated to defense or homeland security grew by 15 percent. With the adoption of President Bush’s first budget, for 2002, that number was reduced to six percent and has declined steadily thereafter, as the accompanying chart illustrates. This Budget continues the trend of increasing restraint on non-security related spending.

          The current Budget proposes a 3.9-percent increase in overall discretionary spending for 2005, less than the average rate of growth in American family income and in keeping with the need to exercise responsible spending restraint. This includes a 7.1-percent increase in spending authority for defense, 9.7 percent for homeland security, and 0.5 percent­or below the rate of inflation­outside these areas.

      Ed Schwartz, Institute for the Study of Civic Values, 1218 Chestnut St.,
      Rm. 702, Philadelphia, Pa. 19107 215-238-1434 edcivic@...

      ISCV web site: http://www.iscv.org
      Also Check out  "Neighborhoods Online" at http://www.neighborhoodsonline.net.
      Or in Philadelphia: http://www.phillyneighborhoods.org

      "Citizenship is the American ideal. There may be an army of actualities
      opposed to that ideal, but there is no ideal opposed to that ideal."
                                     --G.K. Chesterton