Job Announcement - Please Circulate

  • Ed Schwartz
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 3, 2004
      Dear Colleagues:

      LDIR stands for Leadership Development in Interethnic Relations, a program coming to Philadelphia from Los Angeles via the Charles Stewart Mott Foundation and the Philadelphia Foundation. Fellowship Farm is one of the local co-sponsors of this project, along with Asian Americans United, CEIBA, Community Leadership Institute, Institute for Development of African-American Youth, Northwest Interfaith Movement and Open Borders Project.

      This is a position for an experienced person committed to organizing for social change and well-versed in understanding power, privilege and oppression.  The program is a Train-the-trainer model that leads participants to undertake community projects relating to various forms of oppression: racism, sexism, homophobia etc.

      The deadline to apply for this exciting job is August 20th.

      Thanks you for circulating the announcement.

      Herb

      Herb Levine, Ph.D.
      Executive Director
      Fellowship Farm
      An Educational Center in Human Relations
      610-326-3008 (Voice) 2488 Sanatoga Road
      610-970-6889 (Facsmile) Pottstown, PA 19464
      director@...
      http://www.fellowshipfarm.org/

      PROGRAM COORDINATOR JOB DESCRIPTION

      Leadership Development in Interethnic Relations (LDIR) is a program that works to equip and mobilize people to work for positive social change in their communities and institutions.  Co-sponsored by Asian Americans United (AAU), CEIBA, Community Leadership Institute (CLI), Fellowship Farm Inc., Institute for the Development of African American Youth (IDAAY), Northwest Interfaith Movement (NIM), and Proyecto Sin Fronteras , LDIR develops networks to encourage and sustain multi-cultural collaborations.

      POSITION TITLE:                        LDIR Program Coordinator
      DEPARTMENT:                        NA
      FLSA:                                        Exempt
      POSITION REPORTS TO:                LDIR Operations Board

      FULL TIME/PART TIME:        Full time

      Position Summary:

      Provides programmatic oversight and direction for the Philadelphia LDIR Program.  Organizes and facilitates LDIR workshops. Works with the LDIR Operations Board and/or Advisory Council to meet adopted program goals and objectives. Job performance will be reviewed by, and must meet the expectations of the LDIR Operations Board.

      Duties and Responsibilities (essential job functions):

      Coordinate LDIR, a human relations leadership development program addressing issues pertaining to racism, sexism, religious bigotry, heterosexism, classism, ableism and other forms of oppression;
      Organize and facilitate LDIR workshops in Philadelphia;
      Ensure adherence to LDIR guiding principles and philosophy in all LDIR workshops and programming;
      Seek out and involve individuals/organizations with expertise in anti-oppression work;
      Assist LDIR Philadelphia's Operations Board and Advisory Council to develop program objectives and implement strategic vision for the Philadelphia LDIR Program;
      Work with LDIR national staff to organize and build the Philadelphia LDIR program;
      Recruit, train, and supervise LDIR facilitators for workshops;
      Develop and maintain strong working relationships with LDIR volunteers and facilitators;
      Recruit participants for LDIR 6-month program;
      Maintain records that document the work and activity of the LDIR program;
      Research possible funding sources and work with the Operations Bvoard to secure funding for the sustainability of the LDIR program;
      Other duties as assigned

      Qualifications (education, knowledge, skills and abilities):

      Strong commitment to social justice;
      Strong understanding of human relations issues and practices;
      Strong facilitation and workshop experience around issues regarding institutional/structural oppression;
      Experience, ability and commitment to working with diverse groups in terms of gender, race, sexual orientation, religion, ability, age, class and immigrant status;
      Experience coordinating community-based or intergroup relations programs;
      In-depth knowledge and understanding of racism and the other isms/oppressions, both as manifested historically and in the present;
      Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work in a team-oriented environment;
      Experience in and commitment to consensus decision-making;
      Strong oral and written communication skills;
      Ability to implement strategies for change via community organizing;
      Working knowledge of computer technology; skilled in word processing and database management;
      Five or more years of related experience in leadership development, social justice, human relations, or similar field of work;
      Capacity to manage complex priorities within mandates of mission-driven work; and
      Familiarity with Philadelphia preferred.

      Working Conditions (environment within which the work is performed):

      Normal office working environment
      Off-site work is a regular part of the job
      Required to work some weekend and evenings
      Requires attention to details and deadlines and concentration for extended periods of time
      Handle multiple demands

      Welcome & Introductions

      II.        Overview of Interview Session

      III.        Questions:

      Please tell us what you know about the LDIR program.

      Please share your overall combination of skills and qualifications that make you an ideal candidate for this position.

      What is your ability to work flexible hours, and some weekends?
      Do you have other commitments that would prevent you from being available to work during normal working hours?
      What would your ideal work schedule look like?
      What kind of transportation issues or concerns might arise for you?

      How do you replenish yourself to prevent burnout?

      As a program committed to social justice in regards to gender, race, sexual orientation, ability, religion, and all the ways in which individuals might feel marginalized, please share with us how you live those ideals. (please be specific.)
      How would you deal with a community volunteer who refused to work with someone because they were gay or lesbian?

      Tell us about a time when you had to handle conflict in the workplace. What happened and how did you deal with it?

      How would you characterize your communication style?

      How do you see this position different from a community organizing position?

      Are there any other aspects about yourself you would like to share?

      IV.        Participant Questions

      V.        Review Search Timeline
      Asian Pacific American Legal Center
      EMPLOYMENT APPLICATION

      Position Applying For
      Last Name

      First and Middle Names  Social Security Number
      Mailing address

      Day Phone Evening Phone  City

      State Zip Code                                                            E-mail

      WORK EXPERIENCE
      Please describe your paid work experience in the space provided. Do not attach job descriptions.
      1) Job Title

      From (MM/YY) To (MM/YY) Salary Per Hours worked per week
      Employer's Name

      Supervisor's Name  Employer's Address

      Employer's Phone  List Job Responsibilities and Duties Relevant to the LDIR Position You Are Applying For

      2) Job Title
      >From (MM/YY) To (MM/YY) Salary Per Hours worked per week
      Employer's Name

      Supervisor's Name  Employer's Address

      Employer's Phone  List Job Responsibilities and Duties Relevant to the LDIR Position You Are Applying For

      3) Job Title
      >From (MM/YY) To (MM/YY) Salary Per Hours worked per week
      Employer's Name

      Supervisor's Name  Employer's Address

      Employer's Phone  List Job Responsibilities and Duties Relevant to the LDIR Position You Are Applying For

      EDUCATION
      Please list schools attended. Do not attach transcript unless requested.

      Last High School attended
      Name, Address, City, State

      Diploma or GED received ?

      Yes           No
      Please list all colleges, universities, or trade schools attended. Do not attach transcript unless requested.

      Name, Address, City, State

      Type of Degree or certificate

      EDUCATION Cont.
      Please list additional colleges, universities, or trade schools attended.

      Name, Address, City, State

      Field of Study Type of Degree or certificate   Name, Address, City, State

      Field of Study Type of Degree or certificate

      Additional Questions
      Please respond with a detailed answer within the spaces provided:

      What specifically motivated you to apply for this position?

      What is your understanding of "human relations" and/or "intergroup relations"?  How broadly or narrowly would you define work in this area?

      Share your experiences developing and/or conducting workshops that address intergroup relations and/or the "isms" (please state specific topic areas.)

      How do you define "racism" and how do you see it operating in the U.S.?

      How do you define "heterosexism" and how do you proactively address this issue? (Please give specific examples.)