Paul Vallas Email: Additional Report on Summer School

  • Ed Schwartz
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 3, 2003
      School District of Philadelphia - Friday Emails
      July 30, 2003

      Friday Email

      Dear Colleagues,

      As the 2003 summer school program winds down, I wanted to take this opportunity to once again thank you all for your hard work and dedication to the children of this District. I am proud to report that we have served over 30,000 students in District-run summer school programs and over 8,000 students in partner programs. All told, through your service, we have given the opportunity to nearly 40,000 students to make significant academic gains in these past eight weeks.

      We will have the post-summer school test results back in approximately two weeks, but I think we can safely say that this year's program has been a success. We have had only a handful of discipline incidents, relatively few procedural glitches, and an overwhelmingly positive response from parents and community members. This simply would not have been possible without the hard work and sacrifice of thousands of teachers, administrators, support staff, and members of our school communities. For this I cannot thank you enough.

      Finally, I would like to again thank Senator Arlen Specter for his unyielding support in securing the funding for not only this and next year's summer school programs, but for his commitment to seek funding for an additional third year of summer programming. He has been a consistent supporter of the School District of Philadelphia, and we are grateful for his advocacy.

      Please have a restful remainder of this summer break; you have all earned it!

      All the best,

      Paul Vallas