Binningup Desal Action Group PER Submission uploaded to site

  • Michael Derry
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 3, 2008
      Dear all desalination concered people

      I have just uploaded the Binningup Desalination Action Group's PER
      submission to the Western Australian Environmental Protection Authority
      dated 13th of June 2008.

      (click on groups concerned or opposed)

      This submission is packed with 86 pages of information about the
      environmentally harmful impact of building a massive desalination plant
      in a remote coastal ecosystem.

      The plant will threaten a number of rare and endangered species
      inhabiting the plant site however it will also have the same adverse
      impacts on the environment as any other plant planned to be constructed
      in Australia such as:
      -air pollutants
      -marine pollutants
      -solid waste disposal
      -hypersaline discharges
      -low disolved oxygen levels in ocean depressions near the plant
      -noise and vibration
      -construction impacts on the community
      -construction dewatering
      -seawater intrusion
      -acid sulphate soils
      -energy use
      -powerline hazards
      -access to land from powerlines and pipelines
      -effects on residents
      -property values
      -visual amentity
      -beach access
      -social problems form large construction workforce
      -effect on seagrass
      -effects on, fish and tiny biota
      -effects on cetaceans, turtles, penguines etc
      -effects on land animals, tiny and microscopic soil creatures
      -effects on migratory birds
      -carcinogenic THM's in the product water
      -risk assessment
      -attracting heavy industry
      -etc

      I suggest you read this and post any comments to the group.

      Please load in any submissions to the yahoogroup that you or other
      groups have prepared on the same issue.

      Regards

      Michael Derry
      Western Australia
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/nodesalination/
    • perth_water
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 12, 2008
        See Perth catchment rainfall updated at;
        http://www.warwickhughes.com/blog/?p=187
        There never was a rain shortage to justify seawater desalination