Non-windsurfing post: Conejo Bravo Memorial White Rim Ride

  • barrywind
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 1, 2006
      Conejo Bravo Memorial White Rim Ride

      The 100-ish mile mountain bike ride around Utah's Island in the Sky,
      partially encircled on three sides by the Green and Colorado rivers,
      is probably one of the most scenic 100 mile rides in America. To
      even consider riding White Rim in one day, many factors come into
      play. A full range of emotional and physical attributes will be
      called upon during the ride. They can range from confidence and
      strength, for the well conditioned, to hope and dumb luck, for the
      ill prepared and unlucky. The goal is to finish before the sun sets
      and avoid making the local newscast.
      One personal attribute that can have a double edged impact is
      bravery. Huge obstacles can be overcome with a little bravery. And
      it can also cause misfortune. If you're a jack rabbit that's poised
      to cross the road in the blackness of predawn, as a MINI Cooper and
      two crazed mountain bikers blasts down the dirt road at a high rate
      of speed, bravery not might be the best card to play. Or maybe it's
      just a matter of timing. There are times when bravery can bring
      major reward. And there can be a time when bravery causes a rabbit
      to leap into the door of a MINI Cooper, unfortunately creating one
      less live meal for the local coyote. Yep, bravery can sometimes just
      be stupidity in disguise.
      Having only ridden a handful of multi hour bike rides since knee
      surgery a half-year ago, and really only one looong ride in the last
      three months, the reality of doing White Rim in one day, with the
      perspective of hindsight, was probably a lot more stupid that brave.
      However, the powers of peer pressure and misery [me] loves company
      [Peter Wilson] can be a powerful combination to overcome.
      Nothing like having to throttle the calf muscles, for the last 30
      miles, to keep from cramping. It is kinda cool to have calves that
      feel like they are covered in crawly insects, as the muscles
      constantly and randomly fire away on the verge of total lock-up.
      Basically we both, guiltier on my part than Peter's, didn't carry
      enough water. Peter was kind enough to split his last water bottle
      with me. But with opver 15 miles to go and a big climb to end the
      ride, we were both riding sans water. Riding totally dry makes me
      feel to very vulnerable. Time for bravery? No. Time to ride
      intelligently, avoiding total body meltdown, and hopefully cash in
      on a bit of luck. Long story short, and stating the obvious, we
      completed the First Annual Conejo Bravo White Rim Mountain Bike
      Ride. Brother, or sister, rabbit, may you rest in peace.

      FYI -- Total mileage ridden: 100 miles
      Ride time [turning the pedals]: 9:07
      Total elapsed [clock] time: 11:33
      Estimated weight loss, due to dehydration: 8 pounds
      Total caffeine consumed: 350 mg
      Total water drank: 140 oz
      Extra water I'll take next time [if there is a next time]: 30-50 oz

      -Barry

      PS-- Thanks goes out to Peter [a confirmed alien-class athlete] for
      tolerating my caffeinated banter and being the tour guide.
    • Randy Klein
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 1, 2006
        Huge Kudo's to you both, Barry and Peter.  Thank you for sharing the experience.  Randy

        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 2, 2006
          It was a great ride, a couple of thing stand out - Barry winding his 200hp MINI Cooper up to about a million rpm's with a manaical gleam in his eye - (never knew he was such a motor head), of course the scenery on the ride was amazing - we were taking if kind of easy and gawking and I was resting - Barry was doing headstands and stuff when we stopped (see attached photo) ... and Barry's amazing stamina driving us back to NM that night (thanks man, my family really appreciated it)

          On a windsurfing note - we stopped by Morgan and confirmed that it does have water in it, and looked kinda sailable at the time....

          peace,
          Peter

          barrywind <barrywind@...> wrote:

          "If the horse represents slavery and the car represents indolent consumption, the bike represents nothing but the honest profit of inventive genius" - Zoe Williams

        • Lars W. Hansen
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 2, 2006
            You guys are insane. Must have been nice!

            Lars

            > It was a great ride, a couple of thing stand out - Barry winding his 200hp
            MINI Cooper up to about a million rpm's with a manaical gleam in his eye -
            (never knew he was such a motor head), of course the scenery on the ride was
            amazing - we were taking if kind of easy and gawking and I was resting - Barry
            was doing headstands and stuff when we stopped (see attached photo) ... and
            Barry's amazing stamina driving us back to NM that night (thanks man, my
            family really appreciated it)

            > On a windsurfing note - we stopped by Morgan and confirmed that it does
            have water in it, and looked kinda sailable at the time....

            > peace,
            > Peter
            >
            > barrywind <barrywind@...> wrote:
            >

            > "If the horse represents slavery and the car represents indolent
            consumption, the bike represents nothing but the honest profit of inventive
            genius" - Zoe Williams

            countries) for 2¢/min or less.