network user on Lion running nmrDraw gets "Bus error"

  • Yu
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 6, 2011
      Hello,

      I am testing the latest nmrPipe with Lion, 10.7.1. If I use local user, everything is fine. But if I login as a network user servered from Snow Leopard Open Directory, when running nmrDraw, I will get "Bus erro", and nmrDraw just crash. "Bruker" runs fine under both conditions. Anybody has any idea about this?

      Thanks in advance for the help.

      Chen
    • delaglio@nmrscience.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 8, 2011
        This is related to the long-known (and not yet understood by me) problem
        with XView-based graphics (i.e. nmrDraw) under Mac OS X. nmrDraw will
        work if launched one way, and not work if launched another. In other
        cases, it was launching via xterm versus launching via "terminal" app.
        So, try these cases to see if it makes a difference.

        It also seems to make a difference whether X11 is started already,
        or X11 gets started automatically by the graphics application.

        In one test case I've seen, once I was able to launch nmrDraw from
        a "terminal" application, it no longer failed when used from an
        xterm (!).

      • delaglio@nmrscience.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 13, 2011
          Greetings Dear Pipers,

          Version 6.0 of NMRPipe has been posted ... in particular, this version
          might fix nmrDraw problems noted on Mac OS X.

          If you try the new version, let us know how it goes.

          Cheerful Regards,

          Frank

          Quoting Yu <nj_chenyu@...>:

          > Hello,
          >
          > I am testing the latest nmrPipe with Lion, 10.7.1. If I use local
          > user, everything is fine. But if I login as a network user servered
          > from Snow Leopard Open Directory, when running nmrDraw, I will get
          > "Bus erro", and nmrDraw just crash. "Bruker" runs fine under both
          > conditions. Anybody has any idea about this?
          >
          > Thanks in advance for the help.
          >
          > Chen

        • Yu
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 20, 2011
            Thank you Frank! Yes, it works! Now I have no problem running nmrDraw in Lion.

            Best regards,
            Chen