Re: [nmrpipe] Mac X11 and nmrDraw

  • Ryan McKay
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 23 1:41 PM
      Dito for me, as in everything works with X11 2.5.1 under Mac OSX 10.6 Snow leopard.

      I suspect that if you check carefully X11 2.5.1 is separate for Mac OSX 10.6 versus 10.5.

      I believe there is/was a separate download for 10.5.

      My understanding was that newer versions of X11 had to be installed in separate directories for 10.6 and exists as a complementary entity beside the default X11 included in Mac OSX 10.6, whereas the X11 in 10.5 basically just overwrote and took over functionality.

      Double check you've got the correct version of X11 for your operating system.

      If not you can re-install X11 from the Mac OS installation disc from the "optional installation" folder (or something to that effect).

      best wishes,
      Ryan

      On 2010-07-23, at 8:40 AM, Adams, Kristie (NIH/NCI) [F] wrote:

      So I was definitely a little surprised to see this thread pop up, as my NMRPipe works fabulously, even after the update to X11 2.5.1 on my iMac (and X11 2.5.2 on my MacBookPro). Both systems are running OS 10.6.4.

      I've had no issues at all since the X11 updates. Is it because I am using Xquartz for X11, or because I haven't yet installed the June 25th release of NMRPipe?

      Kristie Adams

      *****************************
      Kristie M. Adams, Ph.D.
      CRTA Postdoctoral Fellow
      Chemical Biology Laboratory
      National Cancer Institute-Frederick
      376 Boyles St, Room 117
      National Institutes of Health
      Frederick, MD 21702
      USA
      Phone: 301-846-5962
      Fax: 301-846-6033
      *****************************

      On 7/22/10 11:37 PM, "Frank Delaglio" <delaglio@...> wrote:

      Greetings all ...

      The latest versions of X11 for Mac OS X (2.5.1 and 2.5.2) can't be
      used with NMRDraw. We're working on a fix, and will announce it when
      it's available.

      In the mean time, avoid the upgrade if you can, or re-install
      X11 version 2.5.0 ...

      cheerful regards,

      "bug" fd

      Quoting jamesgruschus <jamesgruschus@... <mailto:jamesgruschus%40yahoo.com> >:

      > Recently, nmrDraw on my Mac stopped displaying peak pick variables.
      > Some colors were off too, so after rebooting my computer didin't
      > help, I tried updating my old X11 (Xquartz 2.5.0) on my Mac
      > (10.5.8). After updating to Xquartz 2.5.1 nmrDraw aborts at startup
      > with the message:
      >
      > Assertion failed: (ret != inval_id), function _XAllocID, file
      > xcb_io.c, line 461.
      > Abort

      Ryan T. McKay, Ph.D. -     Scientific Director

      NANUC - Canada's National High Field NMR Centre

      Room 105                           Email:  ryan@...

      NANUC Bld.                        Phone: (780) 492-2700

      University of Alberta            Fax:     (780) 492-9174

      Edmonton, Alberta              Cell:     (780) 920-8871

      Canada T6G 2E1                AIM:     ryanmckaynmr

                           http://www.nanuc.ca

    • jamesgruschus
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 27, 2010
        Thanks Frank! I'll let you know how the new, adjusted version works out.

        Jim Gruschus

        --- In nmrpipe@yahoogroups.com, Frank Delaglio <delaglio@...> wrote:

        > H U Z Z A H !!!
        >
        > Dear Pipers,
        >
        > New versions of NMRPipe have been posted, with suitable adjustments
        > to the Mac OS X version. If anyone who saw problems before with
        > Mac's X11 2.5.2 tries this new version of NMRPipe, please let me
        > know how it goes.
        >
        > For those fortunate colleagues like Kristie who experienced no
        > problems, carry on.
        >
        > Cheerful Regards,
        >
        > big fd
        >

        > Quoting "Adams, Kristie (NIH/NCI) [F]" <adamskm@...>:
        >
        > > So I was definitely a little surprised to see this thread pop up, as
        > > my NMRPipe works fabulously, even after the update to X11 2.5.1 on
        > > my iMac (and X11 2.5.2 on my MacBookPro). Both systems are running
        > > OS 10.6.4.
        > >
        > > I've had no issues at all since the X11 updates. Is it because I am
        > > using Xquartz for X11, or because I haven't yet installed the June
        > > 25th release of NMRPipe?
        > >
        > > Kristie Adams
        > >
        > > *****************************
        > > Kristie M. Adams, Ph.D.
        > > CRTA Postdoctoral Fellow
        > > Chemical Biology Laboratory
        > > National Cancer Institute-Frederick
        > > 376 Boyles St, Room 117
        > > National Institutes of Health
        > > Frederick, MD 21702
        > > USA
        > > Phone: 301-846-5962
        > > Fax: 301-846-6033
        > > *****************************
        > >

        > > On 7/22/10 11:37 PM, "Frank Delaglio" <delaglio@...> wrote:
        > >

        > > Greetings all ...
        > >
        > > The latest versions of X11 for Mac OS X (2.5.1 and 2.5.2) can't be
        > > used with NMRDraw. We're working on a fix, and will announce it when
        > > it's available.
        > >
        > > In the mean time, avoid the upgrade if you can, or re-install
        > > X11 version 2.5.0 ...
        > >
        > > cheerful regards,
        > >
        > > "bug" fd
        > >
        > > Quoting jamesgruschus <jamesgruschus@...
        > > <mailto:jamesgruschus%40yahoo.com> >:
        > >
        > >> Recently, nmrDraw on my Mac stopped displaying peak pick variables.
        > >> Some colors were off too, so after rebooting my computer didin't
        > >> help, I tried updating my old X11 (Xquartz 2.5.0) on my Mac
        > >> (10.5.8). After updating to Xquartz 2.5.1 nmrDraw aborts at startup
        > >> with the message:
        > >>
        > >> Assertion failed: (ret != inval_id), function _XAllocID, file
        > >> xcb_io.c, line 461.
        > >> Abort

      • jamesgruschus
        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 2, 2010
          Works just like new. Thanks again!

          --- In nmrpipe@yahoogroups.com, "jamesgruschus" <jamesgruschus@...> wrote:

          > Thanks Frank! I'll let you know how the new, adjusted version works out.
          >
          > Jim Gruschus
          >
          > --- In nmrpipe@yahoogroups.com, Frank Delaglio <delaglio@> wrote:
          > >

          > > H U Z Z A H !!!
          > >
          > > Dear Pipers,
          > >
          > > New versions of NMRPipe have been posted, with suitable adjustments
          > > to the Mac OS X version. If anyone who saw problems before with
          > > Mac's X11 2.5.2 tries this new version of NMRPipe, please let me
          > > know how it goes.
          > >
          > > For those fortunate colleagues like Kristie who experienced no
          > > problems, carry on.
          > >
          > > Cheerful Regards,
          > >
          > > big fd
          > >

          > > Quoting "Adams, Kristie (NIH/NCI) [F]" <adamskm@>:
          > >
          > > > So I was definitely a little surprised to see this thread pop up, as
          > > > my NMRPipe works fabulously, even after the update to X11 2.5.1 on
          > > > my iMac (and X11 2.5.2 on my MacBookPro). Both systems are running
          > > > OS 10.6.4.
          > > >
          > > > I've had no issues at all since the X11 updates. Is it because I am
          > > > using Xquartz for X11, or because I haven't yet installed the June
          > > > 25th release of NMRPipe?
          > > >
          > > > Kristie Adams
          > > >
          > > > *****************************
          > > > Kristie M. Adams, Ph.D.
          > > > CRTA Postdoctoral Fellow
          > > > Chemical Biology Laboratory
          > > > National Cancer Institute-Frederick
          > > > 376 Boyles St, Room 117
          > > > National Institutes of Health
          > > > Frederick, MD 21702
          > > > USA
          > > > Phone: 301-846-5962
          > > > Fax: 301-846-6033
          > > > *****************************
          > > >

          > > > On 7/22/10 11:37 PM, "Frank Delaglio" <delaglio@> wrote:
          > > >

          > > > Greetings all ...
          > > >
          > > > The latest versions of X11 for Mac OS X (2.5.1 and 2.5.2) can't be
          > > > used with NMRDraw. We're working on a fix, and will announce it when
          > > > it's available.
          > > >
          > > > In the mean time, avoid the upgrade if you can, or re-install
          > > > X11 version 2.5.0 ...
          > > >
          > > > cheerful regards,
          > > >
          > > > "bug" fd
          > > >
          > > > Quoting jamesgruschus <jamesgruschus@

        • Michael Osborne
          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 4, 2010
            Hello Frank
            I have a problem trying to convert a 4D nmrpipe spectrum to nmrview format. It is related to the size of the file: I do have enough disk space; however when I try to LP in two of the dimension, the nmrpipe script to convert to nmrview, no longer works. I remember this being a problem some time ago, nd my searches on the mailing list have not helped. I'm using the latest nmrPipe verion on a mac os x. Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.
            Thanks
            MIke

            --
            Mike Osborne
            Iric-Institut de Recherche en Immunovirologie et Cancérologie

          • Frank Delaglio
            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 4, 2010
              Hi Michael,

              Thanks for writing, and sorry for any problems.

              I expect that there is currently an upper file size limit at
              2GB or so. You might try writing our good colleague Bruce Johnson
              to see if he has any info or news.

              Cheerful Regards,

            • Ramon Campos-Olivas
              Message 6 of 11 , Oct 7, 2010
                Hi,

                Maybe someone gave already the answer but just in case I remember having a
                similar problem under linux and it had to do simply with a upper limit
                imposed by the system on the size of files. Just updating the operating
                system to a higher version (that had a larger upper size limit for files)
                removed the problem.

                Regards,

                Ramón

                On Monday 04 October 2010 18:11, Michael Osborne wrote:
                > Hello Frank
                > I have a problem trying to convert a 4D nmrpipe spectrum to nmrview
                > format. It is related to the size of the file: I do have enough disk
                > space; however when I try to LP in two of the dimension, the nmrpipe
                > script to convert to nmrview, no longer works. I remember this being a
                > problem some time ago, nd my searches on the mailing list have not
                > helped. I'm using the latest nmrPipe verion on a mac os x. Any pointers
                > would be greatly appreciated.
                > Thanks
                > MIke
                >
                > On 8/9/10 6:19 PM, Frank Delaglio wrote:
                > > H U Z Z A H !!!
                > >
                > > Dear Pipers,
                > >
                > > New versions of NMRPipe have been posted, with suitable adjustments
                > > to the Mac OS X version. If anyone who saw problems before with
                > > Mac's X11 2.5.2 tries this new version of NMRPipe, please let me
                > > know how it goes.
                > >
                > > For those fortunate colleagues like Kristie who experienced no
                > > problems, carry on.
                > >
                > > Cheerful Regards,
                > >
                > > big fd
                > >
                > > Quoting "Adams, Kristie (NIH/NCI) [F]" <adamskm@...
                > >
                > > <mailto:adamskm%40mail.nih.gov>>:
                > > > So I was definitely a little surprised to see this thread pop up, as
                > > > my NMRPipe works fabulously, even after the update to X11 2.5.1 on
                > > > my iMac (and X11 2.5.2 on my MacBookPro). Both systems are running
                > > > OS 10.6.4.
                > > >
                > > > I've had no issues at all since the X11 updates. Is it because I am
                > > > using Xquartz for X11, or because I haven't yet installed the June
                > > > 25th release of NMRPipe?
                > > >
                > > > Kristie Adams
                > > >
                > > > *****************************
                > > > Kristie M. Adams, Ph.D.
                > > > CRTA Postdoctoral Fellow
                > > > Chemical Biology Laboratory
                > > > National Cancer Institute-Frederick
                > > > 376 Boyles St, Room 117
                > > > National Institutes of Health
                > > > Frederick, MD 21702
                > > > USA
                > > > Phone: 301-846-5962
                > > > Fax: 301-846-6033
                > > > *****************************
                > > >

                > > > On 7/22/10 11:37 PM, "Frank Delaglio" <delaglio@...
                > >
                > > <mailto:delaglio%40nmrscience.com>> wrote:
                > > > Greetings all ...
                > > >
                > > > The latest versions of X11 for Mac OS X (2.5.1 and 2.5.2) can't be
                > > > used with NMRDraw. We're working on a fix, and will announce it when
                > > > it's available.
                > > >
                > > > In the mean time, avoid the upgrade if you can, or re-install
                > > > X11 version 2.5.0 ...
                > > >
                > > > cheerful regards,
                > > >
                > > > "bug" fd
                > > >
                > > > Quoting jamesgruschus <jamesgruschus@...
                > >
                > > <mailto:jamesgruschus%40yahoo.com>

                Ramon Campos-Olivas. Spectroscopy and NMR Unit
                Structural and Computational Biology Program
                Centro Nacional de Investigaciones Oncologicas
                C. Melchor Fernandez Almagro, 3. Madrid E-28029.Spain
                Tel:+34-91-7328000(ext.3040).Fax:+34-91-2246976

                **NOTA DE CONFIDENCIALIDAD** Este correo electr�nico, y en su caso los ficheros adjuntos, pueden contener informaci�n protegida para el uso exclusivo de su destinatario. Se proh�be la distribuci�n, reproducci�n o cualquier otro tipo de transmisi�n por parte de otra persona que no sea el destinatario. Si usted recibe por error este correo, se ruega comunicarlo al remitente y borrar el mensaje recibido.
                **CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE** This email communication and any attachments may contain confidential and privileged information for the sole use of the designated recipient named above. Distribution, reproduction or any other use of this transmission by any party other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient please contact the sender and delete all copies.
              • Mueller, Geoffrey (NIH/NIEHS) [E]
                Message 7 of 11 , Oct 7, 2010
                  I also experienced this problem several years ago and seem to remember:

                  1. Linux was better than the Mac, but can't recall the exact details. It was also related to RAM and swap limits.
                  2. LP in a 4D frequently gave more noise than resolution, because in a 4D signals are effectively pretty sparse. So you may not really need a matrix that big.

                  Geoff

                  --
                  Geoffrey A. Mueller, Ph.D.
                  Staff Scientist, NIEHS