var2pipe -in ./fid -swap

  • liwenfu24
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 10, 2007
      Dear all,

      I run NMRPipe on my PC (Red Hat Linux 9 on x86). Recently, I've found
      that some people use the "-swap" option for "var2pipe".

      var2pipe -in ./fid -swap -aqORD 1 \

      Must I use the option too? Why should I use this option?

      And should I use this option when processing Bruker data?

      i.e.,
      bruk2pipe -in ./ser -bad 0.0 -swap -DMX -decim 24 -dspfvs 12 \

      Thanks in advance!

      Regards,

      Liwen
    • Frank Delaglio, Ph.D. (CONTRACTOR)
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 12, 2007
        This is from the bruk2pipe/var2pipe manual page:

        -swap or -noswap: depending on the computer platforms
        involved, spectrometer format data may require each
        four bytes of input to be reversed before conversion.
        This is called byte-swapping. It can be enabled or
        suppressed via these flags. Having the byte-swap mode
        set incorrectly will cause large numbers of "Bad
        Points", which will have unusually large intensities.
        More recently, complementary options -aswap and
        -noaswap have been added; these are system-dependant
        byte-swap options whose meanings change depending on
        the computer platform. The intent is that conversion
        commands which use the -aswap and -noaswap options
        should work consistantly when given the same input
        data, regardless of the computer platform used for the
        conversion.

        The conversion utilities "bruker" and "varian" should set the
        byte swap flags automatically.

        On 10 Mar 2007, liwenfu24 wrote:

        > Dear all,
        >
        > I run NMRPipe on my PC (Red Hat Linux 9 on x86). Recently, I've found
        > that some people use the "-swap" option for "var2pipe".
        >

        > var2pipe -in ./fid -swap -aqORD 1 \
        >
        > Must I use the option too? Why should I use this option?
        >
        > And should I use this option when processing Bruker data?
        >
        > i.e.,
        > bruk2pipe -in ./ser -bad 0.0 -swap -DMX -decim 24 -dspfvs 12 \
        >

        > Thanks in advance!
        >

        > Regards,
        >
        > Liwen

      • liwenfu24
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 13, 2007
          Dear Frank,

          Thank you very much! Following what you mationed, I've tested these
          four options with a cbca(co)nh spectrum acquired on Bruker AVANCE 500
          MHz spectrometer, processed on Intel PC running Red Hat Linux 9.
          The results are:

          "-swap" = "-aswap" = "-noswap" : correct
          "-noswap" = "": "unusually large intensities"

          Thanks again!

          Regards,

          Liwen

          --- In nmrpipe@yahoogroups.com, "Frank Delaglio, Ph.D. (CONTRACTOR)"