2 Upcoming LLSA Events and Elections!

  • Iggy
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 24, 2010
      Hello all!

      It's been awhile since any news or notices have gone out, but here is our end of the year push to finish strong!

      Event #1 - Hernandez v. Texas film
      On March 31, we will be presenting the documentary and moot court re-enactment of Hernandez v. Texas, a little-known case which was the first case argued before the Supreme Court by the late Gus Garcia and Carlos Cadena, who led a team of five Mexican American lawyers to challenge Jim Crow-de facto discrimination against Mexicans and other Latinos that existed in the Southwestern U.S. states.

      I will provide chips and salsa for the event, which will be held in Room 205 at 12:30 on March 31.

      ---

      Event #2 - ACLU/LLSA/BLSA "De Facto Racism in Cocaine Sentencing" Discussion Panel

      Part of the ACLU's Civil Liberties' Week, LLSA is co-sponsoring the panel discussion on April 1 in Room 201, starting at 12:15. Below is a section from a recent NACCP Action Alert on the topic:

      "Everyone seems to agree that crack cocaine use is higher among Caucasians than any other group: most authorities estimate that more than 66% of those who use crack cocaine are white. Yet in 2006, 82% of those convicted and sentenced under federal crack cocaine laws were African American. When you add in Hispanics, the percentage climbs to above 96%. Since enactment of this law, the 100 to 1 ratio has had a devastating and disproportionate impact on the African American and Hispanic communities. The fact that this law carries a mandatory minimum jail sentence also means that people of color are being put in prisons at much higher rates than their Caucasian counterparts, and the judges have no discretion to mitigate the sentence for first-time or nonviolent offenders or in special circumstances."

      ---

      LLSA Elections

      We will be holding elections for the new executive board of LLSA for next year on Friday, April 1, prior to the ACLU panel discussion in Room 204. The available positions are: President, Vice-President, Secretary, Treasurer, Community Service Chair, Academics Chair, and Historian. Please consider nominees for these positions and send them to jose.tissera@.... On Friday April 1, I will have ballots available with all of the candidates' names. The results will be announced after the discussion panel. Traditionally, the Presidency is handed off to a rising 2L, so in that spirit, I will not be seeking re-election in that capacity - whether the next president is a rising 2L or not is up to you, the members. Nominations are due by Tuesday night.

      ---

      Thanks everybody for a great year!

      - Jose I. Tissera