LLSA Update!

  • Iggy
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 30, 2009
      Hello LLSA members!

      Here's a quick update on what's been going on:

      I. Taste of Latin America

      Our first Taste of Latin America event was a HUGE success! In total, LLSA made $450 - a great start to the school year. Thanks to everyone who contributed the delicious food and efforts to serve and clean up. A lot of positive feedback was received, including a suggestion that we do this weekly. Great job, everyone!

      II. AFI Latin Film Festival

      Throughout the Latin Heritage Month, AFI Silver Theatre in Silver Spring, MD, will be showcasing well-known and award-winning Latin films. For movie schedule and tickets, visit the AFI Silver Theatre website here: http://www.afi.com/silver/new/nowplaying/2009/v6i4/latin09.aspx

      The films run until Oct. 12, so if anyone is interested in organizing a group outing, feel free to do so.

      III. Cuban Music Festival

      More details are being confirmed by Alex Beraud. The Cuban Music Festival will be held Saturday, Oct. 10, at GWU from 12 noon to 9 PM. LLSA-UDC will have a table there to promote the organization and the UDC law school. Admission is FREE and seeks to raise awareness about Cuban heritage through musical performances and collect humanitarian aid to send to Cuba.

      THIS Saturday, Oct. 3, there will be a fundraising event The Salsa Room, located at 2619 Columbia Pike in Arlington, VA, beginning at 8 PM. The purpose of this fundraiser is to raise funds for the Cuban Music Festival which is going to be a free-admission, all-day event that has two goals.

      Live performance by Orquesta Ashe and DJ EricB spinning bachata, merengue, salsa, and timba.

      Salsa Classes by Jennifer Gonzalez of SAOCO
      *8pm-8:45pm Beginners
      *8:45pm-9:30pm Intermediate

      For more information, visit the website: http://www.cubanmusicfestival.org

      IV. LLSA-Catered Health Care Debate

      The Federalist Society, National Lawyers' Guild, and Women's Law Society are co-sponsoring a debate about the future of Health Care, tentatively on Thursday, Oct. 29, at 12:30 in Rm. 201. Following the huge success of our first Taste of Latin America, the President of the Federalist Society has asked if LLSA would cater the event. FedSoc will reimburse each person who contributes a dish to the event. If anyone would like to contribute to the event, please email Iggy Tissera (jose.tissera@...) and include what dish you will prepare. Please keep a record of your receipts in order to be compensated for your costs.

      V. Next LLSA General Body Meeting

      The next LLSA meeting will be next week Thursday, Oct. 8, at 12:30 PM in Rm. 202.

      There are still many members who have yet to pay their dues. Please bring $10 to the meeting and Treasurer Richie Luchs will make note of it.

      See you all there!