Re: [nllsa_dcsl] UPDATE: Taste of L.Am. MEETING

  • Melanie Acuna
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 19, 2008
      GREAT job Dago in planning!!!

      --- On Thu, 9/18/08, dzavala_j <dzavala_j@...> wrote:
      From: dzavala_j <dzavala_j@...>
      Subject: [nllsa_dcsl] UPDATE: Taste of L.Am. MEETING
      To: nllsa_dcsl@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Thursday, September 18, 2008, 9:17 PM

      Hello Everyone,

      The Taste of Latin America Committee met today to finish up a few
      things to get everything ready for the fundraiser.

      We'll have a menu of a variety of entrees, sides and dessert from
      which each person will have a choice of one entrée, two sides and
      dessert. Each plate will be selling for $5.00.

      We'll also have be selling drinks for $1.00

      So far the following people have confirmed to do the following:
      • Melanie: Arroz con Pollo (Chicken and Rice) for 15-20
      • Diana: Empanadas (Chicken and Cheese [vegetarian option]) for 15-20
      • Dago: Enchiladas 15-20 and Rice 25-50
      • Yessenia: Flan for 100
      • Jessenia: Puerto Rican Rice or something else
      • Gustavo: Tortillas Chips for 100
      • Diana and Viviana: Plates, Napkins and Utensils
      • Melissa: Beverages

      Unconfirmed:
      • Jose Ignacio: Argentinean Empanadas*
      • Christopher Thomas: Tamales** or Enchiladas
      • Other Idea: I noticed that our menu doesn't have a vegetable.
      Perhaps we could offer a small salad (shredded lettuce and tomato
      as a side or place it below a main food item. [Feedback welcomed]

      Things we need:
      • Cash Box
      • Ice and Ice Chests (Talk to Melissa)
      • Set-Up/Servers/ Clean-Up

      I reserved Room 203 for Thursday, October 2nd, 2008 from 8:00am to
      2:00pm. It was mentioned that the Dean also announced her intention
      to have a town-hall meeting at the same time. Although I see the
      scheduling conflict, I don't see it as something necessarily bad for
      our event. Rather, I think it would actually help with our sales,
      since many people will be drawn to the area and they won't be able to
      resist the smell of Latin Food. Come on, everyone loves the spice
      Latina/os bring to their mouth. Good Food, Good Food.

      *It doesn't matter if someone else is bringing empanadas, we'll have
      Salvadorian and Argentinean empanadas, everyone loves'em.

      **I know making tamales can be a lot of work so we talked about having
      a tamale party (forgot the Spanish word) so people will meet up the
      night before and help make a lot of tamales. At least 3 said they
      would help out.

      REMINDER: Please keep you receipts.

      Thanks,
      Dago

    • ceciblue2000@comcast.net
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 19, 2008
        Hi,

        About the empanadas I can make 15 cheese and 15 beef (30 total).
        I also counted what we had left from the other event and there are:
        160 + plates
        250+ napkins
        196+ forks
        I don't think we need to buy more, maybe some knifes?

        Regarding lack of veggies, maybe some of the people in the committee who expressed a desire to help but don't know how to cook can volunteer, lettuce and tomato salad should not be that hard.

        Great Job..Dago!!

        From: Melanie Acuna <joizee21@...>