Re: [njgf] New member and query about Veal family

  • Marilyn Phelps
    Message 1 of 34 , Mar 30 2:09 PM
      Wow - thank you so much for this!  I was missing some of the children of Nehemiah Veal and Phebe Platts - including my own gggg grandfather, it appears! This is amazing.  So this Andrew Veal latest of Cass County Indiana was the son of Enos Veal and husb of Dosha Kendall.  So the Enos Veal that's listed as his father in your tree is 1773-1835 (d Wayne Co Ind) and Andrew is saying that his oldest sibling was David Veal, who was the father of my Richard Perry Veal

      So, if I'm reading your WorldConnect/Rootsweb page with Andrew's notes correctly, it should go (sorry I don't know the correct formatting for this - putting my line in ALL CAPS and bold and color):
      • NEHEMIAH VEAL (1699-1744) with UNKNOWN wife had the following kids
        • Henry Veal
        • JOHN VEAL (bef 1727 - abt 1779) m. PHEBE PLATTS (b 28 Jan 1734)
          • Henry Veal (abt 1756 - abt 1780)
          • Hannah Veal (abt 1759)
          • DAVID VEAL (abt 1760) with UNKNOWN WIFE
            • RICHARD PERRY VEAL (1804-1866) m AILCEY AUSMAN (1811-1888)
              • David Veal (1831 - bef 1840*)
              • Esther Veal (1832 - abt 1872)
              • Deborah Ann Veal (1834 - 1923)
              • (Phebe A Veal b 1834 shows up in 1860 census only, but I think there is a strong possibility they wrote the name down wrong and the person was actually Deborah Ann Veal who is missing from all 1860 censuses.  Also in 1840 census, Richard P Veal states that there are 6 people in house - 4 children would be Esther, Deborah Ann, Rebecca and Louisa with David and Mary Jane already dead)
              • Rebecca Veal (1836 - 1894)
              • Mary Jane Veal (1838 - 1838)
              • Louiza M Veal (1839 - 1903)
              • Enos Baldwin Veal (1841 - abt 1843)
              • Abraham Wheeler Veal (1842 - 1907)
              • Cilcey/Ailcey Catherine Veal (1845 - 1845)
              • Eliza Hattie Veal (1846 - 1897)
              • James K Veal (1847 - 1847)
              • PETER LOUIS VEAL (1849 - 1947) m NANCY JANE WALTERS (abt 1858 - 1930)
                • Oliver Richard Veal (changed name to Vale about 1920) (1873-1943)
                • Easter L Veal (1878 - 1915) m1
                • RILEY JARRET "DECKER" VEAL (1881 - 1956)
                  • m1. Mary E Clark
                    • Garrette Louis Veal (1911 - 1973)
                    • Dewey Joseph Veal/Vale (1912 - 1999)
                    • Daisy D Veal (1913 - 1990)
                  • m2 MARY ELIZABETH THOMAS (1889 - 1969)
                    • Ellsworth Melvin "Buck" Veal (1917 - 2003)
                    • Mina Marie Veal (1920 - 2008)
                    • Richard Pete Veal (1921 - 1979)
                    • Margaret Rosemary "Maggie" Veal (1923 - 2001)
                    • ANNIE JANE VEAL b. 1925
                    • Dorothy Faye Veal b. 1927
              • Isaac William "Ike" Veal (1851 - 1924)
              • Nancy Paulina Veal (1854 - 1866)
              • George W Veal (1857 - 1888) ** Might have been grandson being raised as son
              • Richard P Veal (1858 - 1865)
          • Unknown Female Veal (abt 1763)
          • Unknown Female Veal (abt 1765)
          • Moses Veal (1767-1823)
          • John Veal (abt 1770 - 1842)
            • >> John Veal (Junior - the guy living near Richard P Veal) m . Christina Woolpert
          • Enos Veal (1773-1835) m Mary G Smith
            • >> Andrew Veal (the guy giving all this family info to Alfred Vail) m Dosha Kendle
          • Platts Veal (abt 1774 - btw 1834/1840)
          • Nehemiah Veal (b 1775)
        • Hannah Veal
        • James Veal
      (Orange means they moved to Princeton in pioneer days, red were born in Princeton)

      BUT - question for Joan Best: you have my Richard Perry Veal listed under Henry Veal b 1756) - is this a typo, or did I misread the Andrew Veal info?  Sounded like he was saying Richard and John were his first cousins - sons of his father Enos' brothers

      It does make sense that Richard P Veal's father was named David Veal as apparently his firstborn child was also named David....

      This is awesome - these letters are exactly the kind of thing I was hoping somebody had.  I actually did run across some genealogy books on Dosha Kendle/Kendall's family (this Andrew Veal's wife) that had a lot of Veal genealogy in it on Google Books, but it only got me so far.

      Thank you Thank you Thank you!!!!

      On Tue, Mar 29, 2011 at 9:36 AM, joan best <joanbest1@...> wrote:

      Hi, cousin,

      I have made the connection between Richard and the rest of the Veals and the information is on WorldConnect, which is a free site.  If you click down a couple of generations to John Veal and Phebe Platts, founding couple of the Veals of southern NJ you will see a note about Andrew Veal and the information that he provided in 1858 which included information about Richard.

      I would love to have you look over the information that I have on Richard and his descendants and make any corrections or comments.  I may have used some of your postings when I was gathering the information.  My goal is to do a complete descent tree for John and Phebe.

      Joan Best

      Message 34 of 34 , Apr 8, 2011
        Mike,

        It is a private group working on a publication. It has some of the basis for information that Joan Best has published on her website, especially about the Veals. Other areas of the research we are trying to organize to publish elsewhere, and whenever that happens, njgf will be the first to know.

        Glenn

        From: Marilyn Phelps <mjphelps@...>
        To: njgf@yahoogroups.com
        Date: Friday, April 8, 2011, 5:15 AM

        Hi Glenn,

        thanks!
        Marilyn

        On Mon, Apr 4, 2011 at 10:55 AM, glenn bingham <buckbingham@...> wrote:

        Actually, Joan and Marilyn, all that information is on the Garpadove list, but Marilyn is welcome to join that one as well.

        Glenn

        From: Marilyn Phelps <mjphelps@...>
        To: njgf@yahoogroups.com
        Date: Friday, April 1, 2011, 9:43 PM

        Hi Glenn - If you meant Annie Jane Veal, then I am her granddaughter, so I guess it would be the second one.   So the second John you list is the one that was married to Christina Woolpert and lived next to Richard P Veal in Miami County, Indiana (1793-1885), right?  Did your family stay in Indiana after RPV & family moved from there out to Minnesota in the mid-1860s?

        So, are you descended from that John Veal's second wife Rebecca Harter? I have a son listed for them as "David Sorran" Veal, but maybe that middle name and the death date I have are wrong for him?

        [If you are descended from Rebecca Harter, I have some questions about the Harters, too.  Some Harters moved with the Veals to Princeton, Minnesota in 1866 from Miami co Indiana and show up on the 1870 and later censuses.  Specifically, Richard P Veal's daughter Deborah Ann Veal (1834-1923) shows up with a son named George William Harter (1857-1914).  So, I don't know if Deborah Ann was married to a Harter while they were in Indiana or if she had him out of wedlock (or who the husband or father is), and how they are related to John Veal's second wife Rebecca Harter, either.  The main newspaper for Princeton, Minnesota has been digitized for the Library of Congress's Chronicling America project, so you can see George William Harter's obituary online at http://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/beta/lccn/sn83016758/1914-02-12/ed-1/seq-1/
        Since it was a small town, the obits are sometimes like articles, and this one gives a nice picture of the man, but doesn't say much about the Harters from Indiana.]

        I think I have come across mention of the Veal Inn you mention (thank you for writing the pronunciation, I was reading it the other way in my head).  After Ancestry, I started doing some research on GoogleBooks, and I think I came across mention somewhere (I can't find it now) of a Veal Inn, which I think must be what you guys were researching.

        Do you have a webpage or anything with your research and tree? I'd love to look at your findings and correct my own tree, too :)

        thanks,
        Marilyn
        On Thu, Mar 31, 2011 at 10:38 PM, glenn bingham <buckbingham@...> wrote:

        Marilyn,

        If you are the daughter of Mary Jane, then we appear to be 5th cousins, twice removed.. If you are her granddaughter, then we are 6th cousins, once removed.

        Nehemiah
        John
        John
        David R.
        John
        Caroline m. TC Souder
        Harry
        Caroline m. Ralph Bingham
        Lowell
        Me

        I know it is plastered all over everywhere, but we are convinced that Phebe Platts did not marry Nehemiah Veal. She married John Veal of a generation later. We suppose that Nehemiah was John's father. Phebe married second Benjamin Parsons, and Joan, descendant Mark Parsons, and I have discovered and plotted all the early deeds for all the Parsons-Veal people surrounding what is now the Midway Inn in Buena (BYOO-nuh) in Atlantic County, formerly Gloucester County. We have discovered the progression of ownership of the Midway Inn, a story much different from what has been published various places. The inn was owned by Enos Veal, son of John and Phebe, at one time.

        We're happy that you have connected.

        Glenn