Linder Town Hall Meeting - Hinson Notes

  • Jim Bennett
    Message 1 of 1 , May 2, 2008
      Linder Town Hall Meeting

      Congressman Linder held a teleconference town hall meeting on Tuesday night @ 7 pm on the FairTax. I did not find out about it until a few hours ahead of time and did not have a chance to put the word out on the Yahoo! groups. I have since added my e-mail to his list so that I have more advance notice and will make sure that everyone is alerted in advance in the future.

      I asked his staffer Derrick Corbett if the recording could be made available by phone or online and he said that they don't have that capability.

      Here are a few notes which I took which may be of general interest.

      He said that we are up to 72 co-sponsors in th house now, which is more than any tax reform proposal in many years (10-20?).

      In response to a question, he acknowledged that the 22% imbedded cost figure which has been used in the past is in error in that it includes individual payroll taxes withheld. Those taxes withheld cannot be used to both (a) bring prices down and (b) increase take-home pay. He did not go so far as to acknowledge that consumption prices would be higher in a post FairTax world, but that is the end result.

      That acknowledgment BTW is also included in the new book on page 141.

      He also said that he has agreed to add language to the bill to delay implementing the FairTax until after the 16th amendment is repealed. That would mean a delay of several years between when the bill is passed by congress and is signed into law by the President and when it actually becomes operational. It was not clear to me whether he is going to make that change before the next session of congress begins next January. In the past, he has decided against making changes between sessions because of the difficulties surrounding informing all of the co-sponsors.

      Congressman Linder says that the bill will not come out of committee this year. He says that while Chairman Rangel has been verbally supportive, he isn't taking any action.

      He also said that the "flatter" tax proposal that Senator McCain has proposed isn't revenue neutral.

      Phil Hinson
      Regional Director