Congressman Mike Ferguson on the Fair Tax

  • Jim Bennett
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 1, 2007
      Here is a reply from Congressman Mike Ferguson (R)
      (NJ-07), on the Fair Tax. He does not commit to it,
      but he does not oppose it. I think Mr. Ferguson does
      not want any mis-information about the Fair Tax to
      become a campaign issue against him in 2008. At least
      his staff now has read the bill. I shall reply to his
      citation of opposing views shortly, but these views do
      not appear to be the Congressman's.
      ~Jim

      From:"The Office of Representative Mike Ferguson"
      <nj07ima.pub@...>

      To:<james@...>
      Subject:Re: IMA MAIL ON TAX
      Date:Thursday, March 01, 2007 3:06:46 PM

      Thank you for contacting me regarding H.R.25, the Fair
      Tax Act of 2007. I appreciate hearing from you and
      having the benefit of your views.

      Rep. John Linder (R-GA), on January 4, 2007,
      introduced H.R. 25, which would establish a national
      sales tax to replace other taxation methods,
      including income, employment, estate, and gift.

      H.R. 25 is meant eliminate the confusing Tax code and
      increase revenue based on spending. Supports feel
      like this will be the solution to the Social Security
      and Medicare funding shortfall. However, opponents
      believe the will unfairly pinch the middle class into
      paying more taxes.

      Specifically, H.R. 25 renames the Internal Revenue
      Code of 1986 to the Internal Revenue Code of 2007. In
      doing so, the legislation also repeals the federal
      income, employment, estate, and gift taxes. The
      revenue for the federal government would instead come
      from a national sales tax. The sales tax would tax
      all property and service that are consumed or used in
      the United States. Businesses, investors, and State
      governments would be exempt from such tax. Also,
      individuals below the poverty line would be able to
      receive monthly reimbursements for their spending.

      The legislation would eliminate the Internal Revenue
      Service altogether and replace it with two bureaus for
      administrative purposes, which would be placed inside
      the Treasury Department. The two bureaus are the
      Excise Tax Bureau and the Sales Tax Bureau (to
      specifically monitor the national sales tax).

      State Governments would be charged with the
      collection, accounting and administration of the
      national sales tax. The revenue would be directed to
      the Treasury to be allocated into one of four
      accounts: the general revenue fund, the insurance
      trust fund, the disability trust fund, and the federal

      supplementary medical insurance trust fund.

      Should H.R.25 reach the House floor for a vote, I will
      reflect further on your well-stated views.

      Again, thank you for taking the time to share your
      opinions with me and please visit my website at
      www.house.gov/ferguson for more information on
      issues important to New Jersey’s 7th Congressional District.

      ~Jim Bennett
      38 Fairview Ave
      Summit NJ 07901-1728
      USA