New Project Proposal: FairTax Resolutions in State Legislatures

  • Jim Bennett
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 1, 2010
      Steve Bang, a FairTax-er in Washington State, has given me an idea for those of us who live in states where the FairTax is not so far along as it is in Missouri, and who want to engage their state-level elected officials. The idea is to ask members of your state legislature pass a joint resolution of support for the FairTax. Since a resolution is non-binding, it is also non-threatening and could be easier to accomplish. It also would add some flair to our movement. Here is suggested language for such a resolution which I put forth with an invitation for edits and comments:

      FAIR TAX [JOINT] RESOLUTION OF THE [STATE] [COMMONWEALTH] OF THE [STATE] [COMMONWEALTH]

      WHEREAS
      The federal Internal Revenue Code is complex and lacking in transparency, making it impossible for citizens of our [STATE] [COMMONWEALTH] to know whether they are in compliance and masking favors to special interests, and

      WHEREAS
      The federal Internal Revenue Code is inefficient, costing our [STATE] [COMMONWEALTH] three to six percent of its gross domestic product annually for none other than federal tax compliance, causing each household in our [STATE] [COMMONWEALTH] to expend unnecessarily each year an average of 37.6 hours in paying federal income tax, and facilitating evasion, and

      WHEREAS
      The federal  Internal Revenue Code is biased against economic growth, and

      WHEREAS
      The federal Internal Revenue Code is a playground for special interests and lacks fairness, and

      WHEREAS
      The FairTax Bill, HR25 and S296 in the 111th Congress of the United States, to replace the federal Internal Revenue Code, is transparent, efficient, friendly to economic growth and fair,

      NOW THEREFORE BE IT RESOLVED

      That the [SENATE] and [HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES] [GENERAL ASSEMBLY] [NEBRASKA UNICAMERAL LEGISLATURE] of the [STATE] [COMMONWEALTH] of [STATE] [COMMONWEALTH] call for the Congress of the United State of America to pass and transmit to the President of the United States the Fair Tax Act of 2009, known as HR25 and S298 in the 111th Congress of the United States, and any and all re-introductions of this bill in subsequent Congresses, and it is further

      RESOLVED
      That the  [SENATE] and [HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES] [GENERAL ASSEMBLY] [NEBRASKA UNICAMERAL LEGISLATURE] of the [STATE] [COMMONWEALTH] of [STATE] [COMMONWEALTH] call for the President of the United States to sign  the Fair Tax Act of 2009, known as HR25 and S298 in the 111th Congress, or any and all re-introductions of this bill in subsequent Congresses, and it is further

      RESOLVED
      That the Clerk of the [SENATE] [HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES] [GENERAL ASSEMBLY] [NEBRASKA UNICAMERAL LEGISLATURE] be, and hereby is, instructed to transmit a certified true and correct copy of this [JOINT] resolution to each Senator representing this [STATE] [COMMONWEALTH] and to each member of the Congressional Delegation of this [STATE] [COMMONWEALTH] and to the President of the United States.

      Done at [STATE CAPITOL] this [DATE] day of [MONTH], 2010.

      ~Jim Bennett
      38 Fairview Ave
      Summit NJ 07901-1728
      USA