Re: [ninjava] Re: (keitai-l) Multi-tasking applications on Keitai - NinJava meeting Thursday 26th June

  • Sam Joseph
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 19, 2003
      J. David Beutel wrote:

      >>The Bullant Remote is an 'application browser'. Using the Bullant
      >>Remote, end-users can connect to and surf applications just like users
      >>of a web-browser can connect to and surf web-pages. Just like a web
      >>browser, an application is identified by a URL and, just like a web
      >>browser, giving the Bullant Remote a different URL will cause an
      >>entirely different application to be displayed. In the case of web-pages
      >>and JRAP applications, the content resides on networked server - an
      >>innovation that has dramatically reduced the cost of provisioning
      >>applications to large, disparate and geographically diverse user base.
      >>

      >So it's a special-purpose browser that runs in Java on the keitai?

      Right - and from the demo's I've seen its a bit like web-start - you
      have a number of applications you can switch between and it each of the
      them will sync with similar applications on your PDA, laptop or whatever.

      >>Bullant's model of 'application-browsing' enables the creation of a new
      >>breed of rich server-based applications that provide all of the benefits
      >>of the traditional 'fat' two-tier client-server model with the benefits
      >>of manageability, scalability and accessibility usually associated with
      >>the 'thin' three-tier model. GUIs indistinguishable from a native
      >>fat-client application can be created and deployed on a networked server
      >>without the need to download any code to the device.
      >>

      >I guess a 'fat' client isn't an option on a keitai.

      well I guess it's all a matter of degree, since the clients I write for
      503s are thinner than those I write for 504s ...

      CHEERS> SAM