Re: [nikitie] Nicatie Cherokee Acord O'Neal

  • Richard Wilson
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 15, 2011
      I think Rachel Combs is in my Combs line. It is amazing how you keep finding different ways these folks are all connected. The stuff about Daniel Boone also brings in my Choctaw line. My Choctaw ancestor John Harper (Hopiah) helped Boone survey the area, as did another one of my ancestors, Abraham Hanks, maternal grandparent of Abe Lincoln. It seems they are all just connected in so many crazy ways.

                                                                                                                                                        Richard

      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 15, 2011
        Jo,

        Just in case you are not aware, "Zur" is how many, including my grandfather pronounced Isaiah. His grandfather's name was Zur Smith, but when I had him spell it, it was actually Isaiah Smith :) I spent years looking for a Zur Smith from up there, lol.

        Deb

        http://www.brightstarcherokeedoxietribe.com/

        To: nikitie@yahoogroups.com
        From: imafo.hopiah@...
        Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2011 18:58:07 -0800
        Subject: Re: [nikitie] Nicatie Cherokee Acord O'Neal

        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 22, 2014
          Nicatie b. 1836 Logan Co, W VA
          Her parents John Acord/Akers and Nancy Harper. On her son's death record last name given as Akers; this line seems to have been Dutch/German; earlier records found as Eckert.

          John Acord seems to have been the son of "Old" John/Jack Acord and Rachel Combs.

          Nancy Harper I believe was born in Lawrence Co, OH; parents Hamilton Harper and Catherine/Katherine Adkins. This is what World Connect gives; and her death record 1886 Raleigh Co, W VA gives father as Hamilton.

          At WC; Catherine Adkins given as b. Greenbrier Co, VA. This is very interesting because of the Cornstalk history in that region. Chief Cornstalk made a raid on the Muddy Creek and Clendenin settlements; he is believed to have had a daughter named Greenbrier, and another daughter named Oceana who the town in Wyoming County was named for.

          I have found evidence of three other females with the 2nd name of Cherokee;
          Nicati Cherokee Tennessee Florida French b. 1845 GIles Co, VA
          Nicati Cherokee Lester b. 1850 Tazewell Co, VA
          Nickatie Cherokee O'Neal (d/o John O'Neal and Nicatie Acord)

          I have found no other tribal name affiliated with these Nikitie females.

          It seems to me that there was probably a Shawnee/Cherokee settlement in present-day Greenbrier County, and that's why Cornstalk made the raid on the white settlers.