Re: [Nichiren Shu Buddhism] Re: Pilgrimage to Nichiren shu temples

  • Mikuriya Miho
    Message 1 of 14 , May 10, 2003
      Dear Don and Rory,

      Hi! I've translated the story about the Jotakuji temple and the seeds.

      Jotakuji is famed as a ginkgo temple.It's located about 5.5miles north
      east from Minobusan. It was originally an ashram for Shingon (esoteric
      Buddhism)sect.

      On the 17th of May in 1274, Nichiren shonin took up a challenge on
      discussion on the teachings of Buddhism with a powerful Shingon priest
      named Echo. Echo was defeated, and therefore to some extent, he surrendered
      to Nichiren shonin, however, he had a grudge against Nichiren shonin at
      heart and at Jotakuji temple, he conspired together with the head priest of
      Jotakuji, to kill Nichirenshonin by offering poisoned rice cakes.
      A white dog appeared from nowhere and Nichiren shonin kindly fed some of
      the rice cakes to the white dog. As soon as the white dog had the rice
      cake, it collapsed in agony.
      Echo and the chief priest saw what happened and they realised the
      greatness of Nichiren shonin and the Lotus Flower Sutra and they confessed
      and apologised for their wicked heart and they also asked to become
      disciples of Nichiren shonin again.
      Nichiren shonin gave the white dog antidote and it lived for 10 years (I
      think it lived about 10 years).
      The head priest realised this white dog was an incarnation of various gods
      and it protected Nichiren shonin, and when it died, the head priest buried
      it with a great care. Nichiren shonin put his stick made of ginkgo tree, on
      the mound as a grave marker.
      The stick started having its roots again and the tree has become a big
      tree as we can see today.

      Interestinglly, the seeds of this ginkgo tree are born on the surface of
      the leaves. The seeds are fang-shaped. The Ginkgo tree is well-known as
      spiritted ginkgo, which is very unique not only in Japan
      but also in outside of Japan.

      ネットを使うひとに有利な特典いっぱい MSN カード http://card.msn.co.jp/
    • hanlen1@aol.com
      Message 2 of 14 , May 10, 2003
        In a message dated 5/10/2003 10:03:27 AM Central Standard Time,
        mihokoala7@... writes:

        > Interestinglly, the seeds of this ginkgo tree are born on the surface of the
        > leaves. The seeds are fang-shaped. The Ginkgo tree is well-known as
        > spiritted ginkgo, which is very unique not only in Japan but also in
        > outside of Japan. >>

        As an interesting (to me, at least) aside, the gingko tree is one of the
        oldest species on the planet. There are fossil gingko leaves going back way
        before any other deciduous tress extant today, like hundreds of millions of
        years. I think they predate dinosaurs.

        Cheers!

        Andy

      • Don Ross
        Message 3 of 14 , May 10, 2003
          --- "Mikuriya Miho" wrote:
          > Dear Don and Rory,
          > Hi! I've translated the story about the Jotakuji temple and the
          seeds.

          THANK YOU for sharing! I always enjoy the ancient legends. It is a
          chance to set aside one's rational mind and see the world through the
          lens of faith of those who have come before.

          I have added a link in the Coffeehouse to your wonderful telling of
          this tale. (Since I don't find mention of this temple elsewhere in
          the Coffeehouse) I have added it to my list of Miraculous Tales,
          which is most apropos.

          http://campross.crosswinds.net/books/Miraculous.html
        • rory12001
          Message 4 of 14 , May 10, 2003
            Hi David;
            this is excellent. This weekend say hi to Pia from Denmark for me, as
            she should be at the temple too. You know Rev. Hirai visited me here
            in Ireland. He was so nice I really missed him when he left. I don't
            have his email but I bet you can find his temple in the hawaii
            section of the Nshu website & go from there or even better ask the
            NBIC. I'm really looking forward to meeting our sangha,
            gasso Rory

            In nichirenshubuddhism@yahoogroups.com, "David Alder"
            <dgalder66@t...> wrote:
            > Dear Miho-san and Rory
            >
            > Hello! I am also a member of Nichiren Shu London, although I have
            been out of the picture for a while. I visited the centre and
            introduced myself to Rev Tarabini last week.

            > I hope to see you all soon.
            >
            > Gassho
            >
            > David
            >
            > PS
            >
            > Has anyone Rev. Hirai's email address?

            London.
            > I'm
            > > Japanese, but I used to study in the UK. I'd be very glad to
            send
            > the
            > > seeds by airmail. Could you give me your address?
            > > if you don't want to publish your address on the site, please
            send
            > your
            > > email to my email address
            > > mihokoala7@h...
            > > Please keep in touch!!!
            > > Gassho,
            > > Miho

            > > ¥Ï¥¤¥»¥ó¥¹¤Ê¾¦Éʤòµ¤·Ú¤Ë¹ØÆþ MSN
            > ¥·¥ç¥Ã¥Ô¥ó¥° http://shopping.msn.co.jp/
            >

            > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            Service.

          • rory12001
            Message 5 of 14 , May 10, 2003
              Dear Miho-san;
              thank you so much for translating that wonderful story. It is very
              inspiring and I notice that Nichiren Shonin was very kind to animals,
              such as his white horse and now the white dog. I think sometimes
              people don't realize what a compassionate heart Nichiren Shonin has.
              Anyway I will treasure those seeds & make my way to visit the Temple
              in the future,
              gassho, Rory

              In nichirenshubuddhism@yahoogroups.com, "Don Ross" <campross@f...>
              wrote:
              > --- "Mikuriya Miho" wrote:
              > > Dear Don and Rory,
              > > Hi! I've translated the story about the Jotakuji temple and the
              > seeds.
              >
              > THANK YOU for sharing! I always enjoy the ancient legends. It is a
              > chance to set aside one's rational mind and see the world through
              the
              > lens of faith of those who have come before.
              >
              > I have added a link in the Coffeehouse to your wonderful telling of
              > this tale. (Since I don't find mention of this temple elsewhere in
              > the Coffeehouse) I have added it to my list of Miraculous Tales,
              > which is most apropos.
              >
              > http://campross.crosswinds.net/books/Miraculous.html
            • sstroutdc
              Message 6 of 14 , May 10, 2003
                Hi There,

                Thank you for sharing this account. What a terrible thing to
                conspire to kill another Buddhist priest. Yet, history is full of
                such stories. Am I correct in believing that Shingon was very tied
                to the government at that time? This is only another proof why
                religion and state should NOT mix.

                Gassho,
                Shawn

                <mihokoala7@h...> wrote:
                > Dear Don and Rory,
                >
                > Hi! I've translated the story about the Jotakuji temple and the
                seeds.

                > Jotakuji is famed as a ginkgo temple.It's located about 5.5miles
                north
                > east from Minobusan. It was originally an ashram for Shingon
                (esoteric
                > Buddhism)sect.
                >
                > On the 17th of May in 1274, Nichiren shonin took up a challenge on
                > discussion on the teachings of Buddhism with a powerful Shingon
                priest
                > named Echo. Echo was defeated, and therefore to some extent, he
                surrendered
                > to Nichiren shonin, however, he had a grudge against Nichiren
                shonin at
                > heart and at Jotakuji temple, he conspired together with the head
                priest of
                > Jotakuji, to kill Nichirenshonin by offering poisoned rice cakes.
                > A white dog appeared from nowhere and Nichiren shonin kindly fed
                some of
                > the rice cakes to the white dog. As soon as the white dog had the
                rice
                > cake, it collapsed in agony.
                > Echo and the chief priest saw what happened and they realised the
                > greatness of Nichiren shonin and the Lotus Flower Sutra and they
                confessed
                > and apologised for their wicked heart and they also asked to become
                > disciples of Nichiren shonin again.
                > Nichiren shonin gave the white dog antidote and it lived for 10
                years (I
                > think it lived about 10 years).
                > The head priest realised this white dog was an incarnation of
                various gods
                > and it protected Nichiren shonin, and when it died, the head priest
                buried
                > it with a great care. Nichiren shonin put his stick made of ginkgo
                tree, on
                > the mound as a grave marker.
                > The stick started having its roots again and the tree has become a
                big
                > tree as we can see today.
                >
                > Interestinglly, the seeds of this ginkgo tree are born on the
                surface of
                > the leaves. The seeds are fang-shaped. The Ginkgo tree is well-
                known as
                > spiritted ginkgo, which is very unique not only in Japan
                > but also in outside of Japan.

                > ¥Í¥Ã¥È¤ò»È¤¦¤Ò¤È¤ËÍ­Íø¤ÊÆÃŵ¤¤¤Ã¤Ñ¤¤ MSN ¥«¡¼¥É
                http://card.msn.co.jp/
              • Mikuriya Miho
                Message 7 of 14 , May 11, 2003
                  Dear Andy,

                  Ginkgo is also used as medicine in Japan. Jotakuji temple sell special
                  medicine made from the ginkgo leaves and seeds.

                  >From: hanlen1@...
                  >To: nichirenshubuddhism@yahoogroups.com
                  >Subject: Re: [Nichiren Shu Buddhism] Re: Pilgrimage to Nichiren shu
                  temples
                  >Date: Sat, 10 May 2003 11:11:22 EDT
                  >
                  >In a message dated 5/10/2003 10:03:27 AM Central Standard Time,
                  >mihokoala7@... writes:
                  >
                  > > Interestinglly, the seeds of this ginkgo tree are born on the surface
                  of the
                  > > leaves. The seeds are fang-shaped. The Ginkgo tree is well-known as
                  > > spiritted ginkgo, which is very unique not only in Japan but also in
                  > > outside of Japan. >>
                  >
                  >As an interesting (to me, at least) aside, the gingko tree is one of the
                  >oldest species on the planet. There are fossil gingko leaves going back
                  way
                  >before any other deciduous tress extant today, like hundreds of millions
                  of
                  >years. I think they predate dinosaurs.
                  >
                  >Cheers!
                  >
                  >Andy

                  HP やメールアドレスを自分だけのオリジナルに MSN ドメイン
                  http://onamae.msn.co.jp/
                • Mikuriya Miho
                  Message 8 of 14 , May 11, 2003
                    Thank you for adding my story to the coffehouse. I hope my English was
                    okay! I still need to improve my writing in English a lot!

                    >From: "Don Ross" <campross@...>
                    >To: nichirenshubuddhism@yahoogroups.com
                    >Subject: [Nichiren Shu Buddhism] Re: Pilgrimage to Nichiren shu temples
                    >Date: Sat, 10 May 2003 15:37:38 -0000
                    >
                    >--- "Mikuriya Miho" wrote:
                    > > Dear Don and Rory,
                    > > Hi! I've translated the story about the Jotakuji temple and the
                    >seeds.
                    >
                    >THANK YOU for sharing! I always enjoy the ancient legends. It is a
                    >chance to set aside one's rational mind and see the world through the
                    >lens of faith of those who have come before.
                    >
                    >I have added a link in the Coffeehouse to your wonderful telling of
                    >this tale. (Since I don't find mention of this temple elsewhere in
                    >the Coffeehouse) I have added it to my list of Miraculous Tales,
                    >which is most apropos.
                    >
                    >http://campross.crosswinds.net/books/Miraculous.html

                    自宅の PC で英語力をアップ MSN 英会話 http://englishtown.msn.co.jp/
                  • Mikuriya Miho
                    Message 9 of 14 , May 11, 2003
                      I need to study the history of Japanese Buddhism! I don't know if the
                      Shingon sect was very tied to the government at that time...can anybody
                      help?

                      最新のファイナンス情報とライフプランのアドバイス MSN マネー
                      http://money.msn.co.jp/
                    • ryuei2000
                      Message 10 of 14 , May 11, 2003
                        mihokoala7@h...> wrote:
                        > I need to study the history of Japanese Buddhism! I don't know if
                        the
                        > Shingon sect was very tied to the government at that time...can
                        anybody
                        > help?

                        The Tendai and Shingon schools were the religious establishment at
                        that time. The 6 Nara schools had long since been overshadowed, and
                        the Pure Land movement was not yet a recognized sect of Buddhism
                        seperate from Tendai. And while Zen was beginning to get official
                        recognition as a seperate school from the shogunate, they were still
                        in the early stages of getting established. You might even notice that
                        up to at least the Kaimoku Sho, Nichiren sometimes refers to the
                        Shingon and Tendai schools together insofar as they both had the power
                        and responsibility to stem the tide of Honen's version of
                        exclusivistic Pure Land Buddhism. Nichiren groups them together
                        because those two schools officialy controlled all the major temples.

                        Namu Myoho Renge Kyo,
                        Ryuei

                        sadhkfjdshkjshkfshdkfjdsfhkdsjhfkdsajfhkdsahfkdsahfksdaj