Re: jumper struts

  • Douglas
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 26, 2006
      Hi John,
      The jumpers stiffen the mast left to right. The Niagara mast is
      already so stiff that I don't think this would make any difference,
      esp. with rod rigging (which many have).
      Doug

      --- In niagarasailboatownerspage@yahoogroups.com, "ragingwind2003"
      <john.comeau@...> wrote:

      > I have noticed more than one niagara 26 with masts that have
      > jumper struts similar to those on a Shark. Can anyone explain
      > the benefits of this arrangement assuming that there are benefits.

    • wavewalker_16
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 9, 2006
        John,

        The shark is 3/4 rig and the jumpers helped to keep the mast straight
        above the upper shrouds in strong winds.

        Niagara 26 hull #6 is the only one I have seen with jumper struts. The
        original owner of it was a friend of George and it was an experiment
        they tried.

        Since the Niagara 26 is a 7/8 rig and carry's a lot more sail than the
        shark, in stonger winds I like the fact that the mast tip bends to
        leward spilling air out of the top of the main. I find that this is a
        natural way to depower without having to make adjustments.

        Cheers,
        Martin
        Niagara 26 #16
        EYC

        <john.comeau@...> wrote:

        > I have noticed more than one niagara 26 with masts that have
        > jumper struts similar to those on a Shark. Can anyone explain
        > the benefits of this arrangement assuming that there are benefits.

      • ragingwind2003
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 9, 2006
          --- In niagarasailboatownerspage@yahoogroups.com, wavewalker_16

          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 9, 2006
            Martin, The N26 mast is quite substantial and not being tapered
            may not need any extra stiffening at the top. The jumper setup
            may make it harder to bend the mast and flatten the main to depower it
            in heavy winds. Take a look at the picture of hull number 69, Brass
            Tacks, it looks like double spreaders plus jumper and obviously
            other custom features.