n 26 for sale portland or

  • dagmagashley
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 12, 2005
      recently looked at n26 in portland and think it could be a boat i might be interested in.. I
      HAVE SEVERAL QUESTIONS are the 26's a fairly stiff boat ,,, how are they in 12 to 17
      kn ..what are the phrf handicaps and are they competitive.. does anyone race them in
      portmouth ratings again are they competitive...are they bolsa cored and where? Any areas
      where they are vulnerable to breakdown or deteriorate? thank you for any help don granger
      in medford or...dagranger2gmail.com
    • TERRY BUSBY
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 14, 2005
        Don: I am fairly new to the N26 having bought mine last summer. I was on the Columbia river last weekend with a southeasterly at about 10 to 12 with full main and about a 135 rolled out on the genoa. The boat is wonderful to sail, she healed between 10 and upto 20 degrees with just the right amount of weather helm. Just a little. The boat sails great , but depending on your experience, you may want reef abit early. I hope others will see your questions from the fleet in Ontario Canada. Have a good marine surveyor do a complete survey. I used Alison Mazon in Portland. I believe the deck is balsa cored. Be sure to check around the compression post top and bottom. I sailed and raced lightnings for 25 years, and this is a wonderful sailing boat with no bad tendencies.
        good luck
        Terry Busby

        dagmagashley <dagmagashley@...> wrote: recently looked at n26 in portland and think it could be a boat i might be interested in.. I
        HAVE SEVERAL QUESTIONS are the 26's a fairly stiff boat ,,, how are they in 12 to 17
        kn ..what are the phrf handicaps and are they competitive.. does anyone race them in
        portmouth ratings again are they competitive...are they bolsa cored and where? Any areas
        where they are vulnerable to breakdown or deteriorate? thank you for any help don granger
        in medford or...dagranger2gmail.com

        Georgian bay ontario Georgian bay Sail boat

        ---------------------------------

      • Hoyt, Mike
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 16, 2005
          Don

          If you want a stiff boat then this is not the boat for you. In the whole
          stiff/tender (I prefer responsive/sluggish) scale this boat would be
          considered tender. If you are familiar with C&Cs of the era this would be
          like the 27 vs the 30 (30 described as stiff).

          As it utilizes a fractional rig you use the mainsail to change gears. This
          gives you a lot of options without having to always change the headsail.
          Most have 150 and 100 rather than a 135. The 100 is the prefered sail of
          most N26 in Nova Scotia where there is a fleet of over 15. The compensation
          you get for giving up the 150 is far greater than the performance loss
          (PHRF).

          The N26 has what many consider a favourable PHRF rating in most
          associations. Is 182 in Northumberland Strait Yachting Association where I
          sail and is competitive at that rating. If racing crew weight on the rail
          really helps overcome the tenderness of the boat to perform better. Is a
          wonderful boat to sail.

          The Hinterhoeller built boats (1979-81) are cored deck and solid hull.
          Small areas of wet core are easily fixed if you know a capable boat repair
          shop or are very handy yourself. The big problem is mast step compression
          according to may owners. Also easily fixed. The only reported problem
          other than that is the original rudder pindles (or whatever they are called
          - is December so I am out of sailing mode).

          If you want a 26 foot boat to race and like having a usable cabin then you
          will love this boat. Sails extremely well and can sleep up to 4 in
          reaonable comfort (for a 26 foot boat). If you want a boat that does not
          heel easily then forget the Niagara 26. This is basically a very good club
          racer that has a usable cabin. It is not a cruising boat that timid sailors
          would prefer.

          Mike
          Full Tilt 2
          N26 #002
          recently looked at n26 in portland and think it could be a boat i might be
          interested in.. I
          HAVE SEVERAL QUESTIONS are the 26's a fairly stiff boat ,,, how are they in
          12 to 17
          kn ..what are the phrf handicaps and are they competitive.. does anyone race
          them in
          portmouth ratings again are they competitive...are they bolsa cored and
          where? Any areas
          where they are vulnerable to breakdown or deteriorate? thank you for any
          help don granger
          in medford or...dagranger2gmail.com

          Georgian
          <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Georgian+bay+ontario&w1=Georgian+bay+on
          tario&w2=Georgian+bay&w3=Sail+boat&c=3&s=59&.sig=XXjMfdM3XxDAGxfZYLV6Og> bay
          ontario Georgian
          <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Georgian+bay&w1=Georgian+bay+ontario&w2
          =Georgian+bay&w3=Sail+boat&c=3&s=59&.sig=WVRFKyaA-qD3R5vxjd5GUw> bay Sail
          <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Sail+boat&w1=Georgian+bay+ontario&w2=Ge
          orgian+bay&w3=Sail+boat&c=3&s=59&.sig=b-uFYZj0HswtrSsWiMU4dA> boat

          _____

          YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

          * Visit your group " niagarasailboatownerspage
          <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/niagarasailboatownerspage> " on the web.

          cribe>

          <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

          _____