Al Gore Debutes TV for Web Generation

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 1, 2005

      AL GORE DEBUTING TV FOR WEB GENERATION
      By David Bauder
      Associated Press
      July 31, 2005

      http://tinyurl.com/96cpe

      NEW YORK - Much of the talk around Al Gore's new Current TV network
      <http://current.tv> has been broadly philosophical, like the former vice
      president's statement that "we want to be the television home page for the
      Internet generation." With its debut Monday, Current TV will be judged by
      the same mundane standards as other networks ‹ on whether its programming
      can hold a viewer's interest.

      Gore and his fellow investors envision Current as a sounding board for young
      people, a step beyond traditional notions of interactivity. They want
      viewers to contribute much of the network's content now that quality video
      equipment is widely available.

      Based on material previewed on its Web site, Current at first glance seems
      like a hipper, more irreverent version of traditional television
      newsmagazines.

      Most of its programming will be in "pods," roughly two to seven minutes
      long, covering topics like jobs, technology, spirituality and current
      events. An Internet-like on-screen progress bar will show the pod's length.

      Its short films include a profile of a hang glider and a piece on working in
      a fish market. One contributor talked about what it was like to have his
      phone number on a hacked Internet list of Paris Hilton's cell phone
      contacts, saying that dealing with curiosity seekers was like "hosting your
      own radio call-in show."

      Every half-hour, Current promises a news update using data from Google on
      news stories most frequently searched for on the Web.

      "We have no illusions about the fact that our product has to be compelling,"
      said David Neuman, Current's programming director. "We also believe it has
      to be unique. Who wants to watch the seventh clone of a different network?"

      Despite suspicions created by his former profession, Gore promises the
      network won't be advancing a political point of view.

      "I think the reality of the network will speak for itself," he told
      reporters in Los Angeles two weeks ago. "It's not intended to be partisan in
      any way and not intended to be ideological."

      Gore's name may help attract the curious, at least initially.

      "People may not have heard of Current TV, but they will have heard that Al
      Gore has a television station," said J.D. Lasica, co-founder of Ourmedia.org
      and an expert on digital media.

      Gore's team bought the former Newsworld International channel to ensure it
      has at least some initial distribution. About 20 million homes (out of about
      110 million nationally) will get Current TV right away. Success depends on
      more than doubling that within a couple of years, said analyst Mark
      Mackenzie of Sanford Bernstein.

      To do that, Current must successfully straddle the rapidly changing worlds
      of television and the Web.

      "Current TV is important not for what it is today as for what it heralds
      tomorrow," Lasica said. "What is important about Current TV is that it's
      opening up the world a crack to Internet television becoming mainstream."

      Current's relationships with cutting-edge content providers haven't been
      completely smooth.

      The initial enthusiasm that Josh Wolf, a 23-year-old filmmaker from San
      Francisco, felt for Current has cooled. Last year Current said it was going
      to hire 200 video journalists and give them low-cost equipment. Some 2,000
      people applied, but Current abandoned the plan, causing some bad blood, he
      said.

      Neuman said Gore decided the approach wasn't democratic enough; if he truly
      wanted to open Current up to everyone, it didn't make sense to create an
      elite 200.

      Current is also requiring its filmmakers to sign an agreement giving the
      network three months' exclusive use of material it has accepted for air.
      Leaders of the rapidly growing video blogging community have resisted, Wolf
      said. Those filmmakers most likely to fill Current's stable of independent
      contributors don't want to be told they can't use their best material on
      their own Web sites.

      The network, which had initially sought six months' exclusivity but softened
      after the complaints surfaced, is trying to balance satisfying these
      potential contributors while being able to give viewers something they can't
      see anywhere else, Neuman said.

      "We can't apologize for doing what we need to do to get this business off
      the ground," he said.

      Only about 25 percent of Current's initial material is truly
      audience-generated; the rest has been done by staff members or solicited
      from professionals. That's disappointingly small to some people who bought
      into Current's utopian visions; Neuman said he expects more amateur
      contributions once the network is established.

      Wolf remains interested in what Current is doing. It won't be his television
      home page, however ‹ just one button he programs on his remote.

      "I have this sense that Current is not really looking for content that does
      not go in line with what their advertisers and investors are interested in
      seeing," he said. "It's still television that you can zone off to."

      Because America Online's widely praised coverage of the Live 8 concerts less
      than a month ago proved a landmark in the acceptance of Internet television,
      Current runs one risk it could not have anticipated: potentially becoming
      obsolete just as it's starting. Unlike television, the Internet allows
      consumers to hunt specifically for material it wants to see, and skip
      through it at their leisure, Mackenzie said.

      But Lasica said lying on a couch still beats sitting at a desktop.

      "Most people still want to watch television in the living room or the family
      room," he said, "and that's where Current TV has an advantage over any of
      the Internet startups."

      Years of planning, of anticipating what its target audience wants, is now
      about to be tested on millions of screens. Current is set up to reflect how
      its operators believe young viewers experience TV, in short bursts with an
      eye always on what's next.

      "We're not relying on what we think is cool or interesting or happening,"
      Neuman said. "We're holding up a mirror to our audience. That, to me, is our
      insurance policy."