Integral Naked: ITP, George Leonard, Michael Murphy & Ken Wilber

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 30, 2003

      A few weeks ago, I wrote all of you about a series of "unedited, uncensored,
      live, and taped-live conversations between the most influential,
      provocative, and important thinkers and leaders in today's world":

      I became a member of this forum immediately (the cost: 10.00 a month) and
      have been listening to many of the discussions that have taken place. Today
      I heard one that I thought was especially important and wanted to be sure
      all of you knew about. Today's interview was between Ken Wilber and George
      Leonard, who, along with Michael Murphy of Esalen fame
      l), is regarded as the co-founder of the Human Potential Movement.

      What follows is a brief introduction of Leonard, his work, and his 31 minute
      interview with Wilber. This, in turn, is followed by a description of a
      program that Leonard and Murphy have developed called the Integral
      Transformative Practice (ITP).

      In order to listen to the interview, you will need to become a member of the
      Integral Naked project (10.00 a month is a steal for the kind of high
      caliber people that are featured in these interviews):

      --- David Sunfellow

      June 30, 2003

      If the Human Potential Movement has founding parents, George Leonard and
      Mike Murphy are its grandfathers. In fact George, while an award-winning
      editor at Look magazine, named the movement and was instrumental in
      making it internationally known, as you will hear in this fascinating
      account of the history of the Human Potential Movement from its founding
      in the early sixties to its culmination in an Integral Transformative

      George Leonard, who is pushing eighty, has the energy of a twenty-year
      old and is surely a walking example of a healthy body, mind, and spirit.
      In the following account, George traces the history of the human
      potential movement back to its beginnings in the civil rights movement,
      and points out that the original human potential movement -- certainly as
      conceived by him and Mike -- was an integral movement, drawing on both
      interior development to higher and wider waves of consciousness, as well
      as exterior development to more inclusive political and social

      But somewhere along the rocky road, the movement splintered into several
      partial fragments -- just a political movement, or just exercises for
      inducing shamanic peak experiences, or just a social justice branch, or
      just personal transformation, or just an environmental movement. George,
      who named the movement, says that at this point, he and Mike felt that
      they "had to un-name the movement," so fragmented had it become.

      Then, in the early nineties, the pieces began to come together again,
      and the result was an Integral Transformative Practice (which, in this
      conversation, Ken summarizes as "the exercise of body, mind, and spirit
      in self, culture, and nature" -- all levels, all quadrants). The first
      formal version of an ITP was introduced by George and Mike in their
      ground-breaking book, "The Life We Are Given"
      <http://www.itp-life.com/books1NJS.html> .

      From the first firing of that "shot heard round the world" -- on February
      2, 1965 in George's house on California Street, San Francisco -- to the
      culmination of an Integral Transformative Practice in the mid-nineties,
      the life of George Leonard is the life of the human potential movement.

      The final result of an ITP is not a life more complex, but more simple.
      The last sentence on this clip, which is a little hard to hear because
      George whispers it, really says it all: "The whole key here is to
      simplify, to do less, not more, to that final point of artistry where
      all that needs to be done is done, and yet nothing more."

      transmission time: 31 minutes

      keywords: Look magazine, the Beatniks, the Human Potential Movement,
      Esalen Institute, the civil rights movement, rednecks, Martin Luther
      King, "The Human Potential," Feb. 2, 1965, desegregation, gay rights,
      the feminist movement, Bob and Carol and Ted and Alice, Will Schutz,
      Boomeritis, catharsis, peak experiences, altered states versus permanent
      traits, stages or waves of unfolding development, integral
      transformative practice (itp), Integral Transformative Practice (ITP, or
      George and Mike's version of itp), trans-intellectual versus
      anti-intellectual, the Naropa Institute, Oscar Wilde, inter-racial
      marathon, Education and Ecstasy, Leonard Energy Training (LET), aikido,
      the four quadrants (A Theory of Everything), states of consciousness and
      stages of consciousness, shamanic experiences, affirmations, The Life We
      Are Given, Dean Ornish, hatha yoga, Sex, Ecology, Spirituality.

      most memorable moment: "If you really want to be integral, you've got to
      include political and social movements." And, "One thing we learned in
      personal and social transformation: the quick fix doesn't work."

      headache scale: 2 sound quality: 2 audience rating: 4

      We hope you can join us in this lively and provocative discussion.

      The IN Team

      WHAT IS ITP?
      From the Integral Transformative Practice (ITP) Website

      We Americans have tried them all -- the quick-fix solutions, the crash
      diets, the "ten easy steps" to fitness or health or enlightenment -- and
      we've found they simply don't work. Worse yet, our search for short cuts and
      our relentless pursuit of climactic moments have contributed not only to
      self-destructive, addictive behavior but also to disillusionment with the
      very idea of positive human change. The truth of the matter is that
      long-term change requires long-term, diligent practice and that such
      practice can produce results that seem nothing less than magical.

      After many years experience in various forms of transformative processes,
      human potential pioneers George Leonard and Michael Murphy have created a
      long-term practice for busy people involving mind, body, heart, and soul, a
      practice that produces positive change in practically everyone who follows

      Integral Transformative Practice (ITP) grew from a two-year experimental
      class in human transformation conducted by Leonard and Murphy, beginning in
      1992. The class met for two hours on Saturday mornings and also held
      overnight retreats. The Saturday classes included group support, discussion
      of assigned readings, transformative work in Leonard Energy Training (LET)
      (http://www.itp-life.com/let1M.html),and a 40-minute mind-body-spirit series
      of exercises called the ITP Kata (http://www.itp-life.com/kataM.html). In
      addition to meeting every Saturday as a group, the fifty participants in the
      experimental class agreed to follow The Eight ITP Commitments:

      Each member of the ITP class also made four affirmations of positive change.
      The fourth affirmation for everyone was "My entire being is balanced, vital,
      and healthy." The affirmations were not casually tossed off, but
      thoughtfully considered over a period of weeks before being signed. Careful
      records were kept concerning the participant's condition in regard to each
      affirmation at the time the affirmation was signed and again at the year's
      end. (Instructions for making affirmations can be found in "The Life We Are
      Given", Chapters Four and Five.)

      Leonard and Murphy kept careful records of all changes in the class members'
      conditions and engaged the services of a statistician to analyze the
      figures, which showed a strong correlation between adherence to the program
      and success in realizing affirmations, along with significant improvements
      in overall health. There were also some unexpected findings that suggested
      the importance of what we call "mind" or "intentionality" in positive human
      change. For example, how focused participants were while doing the ITP Kata
      seemed to be even more important than the number of times they did the Kata,
      and how conscious they were of what they ate more important than exactly
      what they ate -- though both were important.

      In addition, there were positive changes that challenged conventional
      explanation. A 45-year-old woman with a long family history of cataracts
      reversed her own cataracts over the two years of the program. A 57-year-old
      woman who suffered from functional epilepsy was averaging one gran mal
      seizure a month when the program started. She has had none since. A
      46-year-old man increased his leg strength by 140 percent without changing
      his physical exercise regimen. The positive changes were by no means
      entirely physical. For example, one woman manager significantly increased
      the amount of time she could spend in the "flow state" while on the job.

      Leonard and Murphy's 1995 book, "The Life We Are Given", describes the
      program and gives full instructions to readers who wish to follow it. In the
      same year, Leonard produced a videotape, "The Tao of Practice"
      (http://www.itp-life.com/videoM.html), on which he leads viewers through the
      ITP Kata . Since then, over 40 groups have formed around the U.S. and
      overseas to practice ITP. Though ITP can be practiced alone, group support
      makes it easier to stay on the path. To locate a group in your area or start
      one, see Group Network: