The Lifeboat Foundation

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 24, 2002

      THE LIFEBOAT FOUNDATION
      August 31, 2002

      http://www.spacenstuff.com/exploringstuff/news.php?id=71

      A matter of life and death.....

      Space N Stuff has recently learned of the existence of the above Foundation,
      as a result of a Guest who visited Space N Stuff and contacted me.

      An email request was made and Mr. Eric Klien, Founder and President of
      Lifeboat Foundation, generously agreed to an interview. As a matter of fact,
      once Mr. Klien responded to the questions in this interview, I discovered
      this is like eating potato chips, you can't be satisfied with just "one". At
      a later date, Space N Stuff will again contact Mr. Klien for a follow-up to
      this initial query.

      Please understand that this is a very complex subject and due to space
      constraints, not all of the details can be presented, however, we are
      providing LINKS at the bottom of this Interview so that you can check their
      site for yourselves.

      In a nutshell, the purpose of Lifeboat Foundation is to research technology
      in a serious effort to build vehicles, or "Arks" that will house permanent
      residents, away from Earth. In essence, self-sustaining colonies would be
      established, one at a time, in an effort to save Humanity. Lifeboat
      Foundation's basic concept of leaving Earth ... as a "matter of life and
      death."

      This premise is a result of facts that cannot be denied. Human Beings are
      finding more and more ways to destroy the Earth, and each other.

      Their goals are straight forward:

      By 2004, they hope to educate the public as to 'coming dangers', promote
      efforts to preserve life, encourage advancement in Space Technology and fund
      SETI research.

      By 2010, the efforts to develop self-sustaining technologies will be in full
      swing.

      By 2018, complete the development above, launch a for-profit Corporation
      that would have as its primary goal, to put the first self-sustaining Space
      Colony in orbit, 248 miles above the Earth, and have subsequent colonies,
      further from Earth.

      By 2020, to promote free enterprise in the conquest of Space.

      INTERVIEW:

      Space N Stuff: Mr. Klien, your site provides a great deal of background
      information regarding your goals. However, I do have a series of questions
      to pose:

      Space N Stuff: If I understand correctly, based on your current projections,
      people will not be off this planet until approximately 2020. In view of the
      seemingly endless strikes of Terrorism globally, will your "Arks" be too
      late?

      Mr. Klien: It will be a close call.

      In a technology timeline produced by British Telecommunications (a
      multibillion dollar conglomerate based in the United Kingdom) which we have
      a copy of at <http://research.lifeboat.com/btexact.pdf>, it was predicted
      that in as little as three more years terrorists will unleash dangerous
      bioweapons on the public. It stands to reason that creating self-sustaining
      space stations during the time between this prediction and total extinction
      will be a non trivial task.

      Space N Stuff: It is my interpretation that each 'Ark' will be
      self-sufficient to accommodate 1,000 permanent residents and 500 visitors.
      In addition, those who are chosen will be the winner(s) of a lottery or
      benefit from "Lifeboat scholarships". While security is one of the top
      priorities for The United States, will that be a priority onboard an Ark?
      Will Lifeboat screen those who enter/win said lottery or scholarships? In
      other words, will criminals either present or future be included? If not?
      Would that be discrimination?

      Mr. Klien: Needless to say, each passenger will undergo an intense screening
      process before being allowed to board. Someone like Martha Stewart, who may
      have done a little insider trading, would still be considered a potential
      candidate. But a convicted murderer would have little chance of being
      accepted as a candidate.

      Space N Stuff: Human Nature, being just that, "human" ... presents many
      obstacles. Even if no weapons would be allowed, terrorism could flourish in
      the Colonies, in other ways. Currently, rules and regulations prevail in
      civilizations here on Earth. Governments here have impossible tasks and in
      the United States, laws vary by state. How would this be handled within the
      colonies?

      Mr. Klien: Each colony will be free to create its own laws and standards of
      conduct. Security officials will have the benefit of a confined station and
      its finite number of passengers when monitoring suspicious or malicious
      behavior. And, of course, the use of practical safeguards such as
      psychological testing will have to be in place for those onboard who have
      access to dangerous technologies.

      Space N Stuff: On this planet, we have various means to cope with and handle
      death. Since these colonies have no capability of returning to Earth, how
      would deceased individuals be cared for?

      Mr. Klien: Long term, we intend for the colonies to repopulate other planets
      -- including the Earth. As for those permanently living on space stations,
      burial traditions would be unlikely. The departed could, in the fashion of a
      sailor's burial at sea, be ceremoniously launched into the sun. Simple
      cremation and cryonic suspension are additional possibilities. In all cases,
      memorials could also be created to both honor those who have passed and
      provide comfort to those who have lost loved ones.

      Space N Stuff: Although the world has made significant progress with various
      Space Programs, we still find 'glitches' that delay progress, at great
      expense. How will Lifeboat be different in this regard? Since the colonies
      are forever 'out there' how will replacement parts be stored? It would seem
      to be quite difficult to predict in advance, how many of each, would be
      needed to keep the Arks functioning at tip top performance.

      Mr. Klien: The development of self-sustaining technologies is essential to
      this project. We certainly don't want to replicate the Skylab and Mir
      experiences where they had to toss their junked space stations into the
      ocean.

      To create effective self-sustaining technologies will require, at the very
      least, the primitive beginnings of nanotechnology. This technology, which
      enables the manipulation of matter, atom by atom, could be used to stop a
      ship's entropy. Also, whatever plagues, fallout or weaponry was used by
      terrorists to wipe out life on Earth could be removed by this technology,
      thereby making the planet habitable again.

      For the record, while it will take hundreds of billions of dollars, if not
      more, to create nanotechnology, we will let others handle the cost. (Over a
      billion dollars was spent on nanotechnology development just this year.) We
      will just slightly adjust such technologies so they are useful to
      self-sustain a space station. And that is what we will spend ten years
      doing.

      Space N Stuff: For the first time since Man has walked on Earth, scientists
      and engineers are capable of mind boggling research and results. Yet, our
      Universe is constantly changing. Solar storms are perhaps altering many of
      our 'normal' weather patterns. Discoveries are being made faster than the
      press can report. Wouldn't it be difficult to plan now, with so many
      unknowns?

      Mr. Klien: It is always difficult to make plans based on educated guesses,
      but no plan to preserve mankind seems premature when you consider the
      consequences. Stephen Hawking warns that "You can't regulate every lab in
      the world. The danger is that either by accident or design, we create a
      virus that destroys us." With this in mind, can we afford to wait? Can we
      afford not to make plans?

      Space N Stuff: Finally Mr. Klien, mankind survives in 'groups.' Families,
      friendships, coworkers. Would Colonies provide employment? How would normal
      everyday expenses be handled? Would entire families qualify to climb onboard
      at the same time? Those who find living in space, is NOT their 'cup of tea'
      will face great stress, since it appears they will not be able to return,
      assuming there is a planet here still in existence. Can you elaborate?

      Mr. Klien: The more arks we are able to build, the more room will be
      available to house entire families. And considering that only a few thousand
      people will be in such close proximity onboard the station, meaningful bonds
      will be forged, new families will spring up and, with time, a sense of
      community will grow strong.

      As to employment, consumerism will not die alongside our planet. There will
      still be financial reward for services rendered. A new frontier offers new
      opportunity. Everyone will be encouraged to stimulate creativity and to
      provide the goods, services and entertainment needed for the station to
      flourish.

      Comments: Mr. Klien? Feel free to add whatever you wish.

      Mr. Klien: The idea that advanced technologies are not an appropriate match
      for our primitive culture is an obvious one, but it wasn't until recently
      that I figured out why few people are worrying about it. The answer is that
      non-scientists are oblivious to potential dangers, while on the other hand,
      those who worship at the altar of science live by the precept that future
      advancements will cure all the world's problems.

      We are currently working on phase 4, the technical credibility, of our ARK I
      design and, in two weeks, I will be flying off to England to meet with a
      multibillionaire. Within a year or two, we expect our project to really gain
      some momentum!

      Space N Stuff wishes to extend its sincere gratitude to Mr. Klien for his
      timely response and the use of his valuable time. In the near future, we
      will pursue additional information in the form of a follow-up interview.
      In the meantime Mr. Klien, have a safe journey to England and back.
      Nancy, Director of Operations, Editor

      http://www.spacenstuff.com

      RESOURCES:

      Home Page: http://lifeboat.com/ex/