UFO: ICAR: Abduction Questions & Answers

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 5, 2002

      THE INTERNATIONAL CENTER FOR ABDUCTION RESEARCH

      http://www.ufoabduction.com/

      STRAIGHT TALK ABOUT UFO ABDUCTIONS

      The International Center for Abduction Research (ICAR) is an organization
      devoted to the dissemination of trustworthy information about UFO
      abductions. The ICAR will provide accurate information to therapists and lay
      individuals who are interested in abductions, and help cope with the myriad
      of problems that arise from the use of hypnosis and other memory collection
      procedures. David M. Jacobs is the Director of the ICAR and there is a small
      Board.

      A personal note from David M. Jacobs:

      "I wrote most of the information on this website based on thirty-four years
      of UFO research and over twelve years of hypnotic regressions with
      abductees. I have tried to be as objective and as 'agenda free' as possible,
      sticking close to the evidence that I have gathered over the course nearly
      800 hypnotic regressions. However, there is no possibility that I have
      avoided error. The reader must be skeptical of what I say and what all
      others say in this difficult arena of abductions, hypnosis, popular culture,
      and cultural expectations. We are all amateurs doing our best to get to the
      truth knowing that objective reality may elude us."

      A bio of Dr. David M. Jacobs is included below.

      ------------

      FAQ: DAVID M. JACOBS RESPONDS TO YOUR QUESTIONS:

      http://www.ufoabduction.com/faq.html

      "Are hybrids living among us now?"

      JACOBS: Although one cannot prove a negative, I do not believe that hybrids
      are walking around with us now. At least, we have very little evidence to
      suggest that this is the case. When abductees describe hybrids seen in
      "normal life," they are almost always describing them functioning within an
      abduction scenario.

      "How could it be possible for a UFO to come to the SAME location that many
      times, yet not be observed by others or the military?"

      JACOBS: The abduction phenomenon is a clandestine operation. They take
      people through walls, windows, and ceilings. During this part of the
      abduction scenario, the UFOs, the aliens, and the abductees have been
      rendered "unseeable." This is advanced technology at work. Thus, neighbors,
      military personnel, and others do not see the events. However, this is a
      fallible phenomenon. Sometimes "bystanders" do see people being abducted. We
      are seeing this more and more with Independent Hybrid Activity. Recently one
      abductee's neighbors asked her why her house was all lit up at night and
      they wanted to know who the people were walking around outside her house
      during the illumination. They interpreted it as a "fire" and "firemen" were
      there. In fact, the abductee inside was involved with abduction activity and
      the fire and firemen were not there.

      "Are their any typical personality characteristics that abductees have?"

      JACOBS: From what we can tell, there is nothing "typical" in the
      personalities of most abductees. They don't seem to view the world any
      differently than others. However, many abductees who are unaware of their
      abductions "know" that they are in touch with some sort of "other reality"
      or "different dimension." Some of them tend to become more involved with New
      Age material and they consider themselves to be more "spiritual." Once they
      learn from a competent investigator what the phenomenon is all about, they
      tend to become less interested in the New Age world and more "grounded" in
      the reality of their situation.

      "If this phenomena 'cuts across every class' do we have a ratio of
      heterosexual to homosexual abduction experiences?"

      JACOBS: Right now we do not have a ratio for homosexual/heterosexual
      abduction involvement. I have worked with a number of homosexual men and
      women. The procedures that they describe are no different than those
      outlined by heterosexual men and women. Their sexual orientation seems to
      have no bearing on the focus of the abduction.

      "Is there any way of preventing this from happening in the future?"

      JACOBS: Right now we have not been able to stop abductions. Some researchers
      have claimed that through thought processes (e.g. prayer, negotiation, etc.)
      abductions have been stopped or aborted. I have to emphasize that I have not
      been able to verify this. In general, people do not know when they were
      abducted and if they do remember, the memories tend to be very fragmentary.
      Thus, when an abduction starts, they may start praying and then remember
      that the beings turned round and left. What they are actually remembering is
      the first few seconds of the abduction and the last few seconds. They have
      forgotten the two hours in the middle. That allows some researchers to claim
      wrongly that the abductee "stopped" the abduction.

      "What is the annual percentage of abductions out of the U.S.?"

      JACOBS: This is an easy one to answer because we really don't know the
      number of abductions in and out of the United States. We do know that about
      2 percent (at least) of the American public have had possible abduction-like
      experiences, but how many of those are actual abductees has yet to be
      determined. We also know that thousand of people from around the world have
      contacted UFO and abduction researchers indicating that they might have had
      abduction events as well. The United States does not have a corner on the
      abduction market. One thing is clear: this is a world-wide problem and
      tremendous numbers of people might be involved with it.

      "Do vasectomies and hysterectomies prevent abductions?"

      JACOBS: Unfortunately, these procedures do not stop abductions. Women with
      hysterectomies are still abducted and used as "hosts" for the incubation of
      hybrid fetuses. The fetuses are contained in what I call extra-uterine
      gestational units which I discuss in THE THREAT. Men with vasectomies are
      also still abducted. From what we can tell, sperm is extracted by an
      needle-like device directly from its area of production rather than from
      ejaculate.

      "How is it possible for aliens to get here?"

      JACOBS: Critics of the UFO and abduction phenomenon often point out the vast
      distances in space and the enormous amount of time it would take to traverse
      them. At this point we cannot know the levels of science and technology that
      ultimately led to the development of a method of transportation to Earth
      that surmounted what we presently see as insuperable difficulties. The more
      appropriate question to ask is not, "How did they get here?", but rather,
      "Are they here?" How they got here is ultimately an engineering question and
      it cannot yet be answered.

      "Why don't aliens act like scientists say they should?"

      JACOBS: Skeptics have stated that the abduction phenomenon does not exist
      because of the alien behavior that abductees report. If they were here, they
      would not be repeatedly abducting people to get eggs and sperm. They would
      gestate fetuses in vitro rather than using human hosts.

      These arguments are culture-bound notions of how aliens should act and not
      based on any sense of reality. They have been fashioned into a sort of
      dogma, which has become a litmus test of "reality." If the abduction
      phenomenon does not fit that dogma, it does not exist.

      We must confront the abduction evidence for what it is. The phenomenon is
      what it is. All we can do is chronicle what is happening, sort out the
      aliens' behavior and try to make sense of it. Our culturally determined
      expectations of how aliens should or should not act are of little
      consequence in the absence of evidence for their motivations. Investigators
      must analyze what is happening, not what should be happening. The abduction
      phenomenon is extremely logical and rational. Everything the aliens do is
      for a reason. Apparently, repeated abductions, repeated taking of eggs and
      sperm, and using women as hosts for fetuses are part of their plan.

      "Who is abducted?"

      JACOBS: Abductees have two commonalities: They are human, and either their
      mother, father or both were abductees. The abduction phenomenon appears to
      cut across all class, educational, geographic, intellectual, economic,
      racial, ethnic, and political lines. We have identified no apparent
      physiological traits which would determine whether a person is an abductee.
      At the beginning of the abduction phenomenon, probably in the late
      nineteenth century, the selection process was most likely random. The
      phenomenon is global.

      "How many times is someone abducted?"

      JACOBS: When researchers began to look into the phenomenon, it was assumed
      that it was a single, adult-onset experience. Now, we realize that it begins
      in infancy and goes into old age (there are indications that it eventually
      does stop, but we are not exactly sure when). Most abductees report many
      events, but the total number of abductions is difficult to discern because
      most people have little or no memory of the majority of their abductions.
      When attention has been paid to the number of experiences an abductee has
      over a specified period (a few months to a year), abductees have reported as
      few as less than one per month to as many as fourteen per month (although
      this is unusual). Most abductees with whom I have worked, report a frequency
      of a few times a month.

      "How many people are abductees?"

      JACOBS: Abduction researchers have been personally contacted by thousands of
      people who have had experiences that abductees have had before they knew
      they were involved with the phenomenon. Polls have indicated that there may
      be hundreds of thousands more. By all measures, the phenomenon seems to be
      widespread throughout the society. Only a small number of these people have
      been investigated by researchers.

      "What is the International Center for Abduction Research?"

      JACOBS: This is a fledgling organization devoted to the dissemination of
      trustworthy information about abductions. The ICAR will provide accurate
      information to therapists who are interested in abductions, and help cope
      with the myriad of problems that arise from the use of hypnosis and other
      memory collection procedures. David M. Jacobs is the Director of the ICAR
      and there is a small Board.

      ------------

      BIO OF DR. DAVID M. JACOBS

      http://www.ufoabduction.com/books.html#anchorBio

      David M. Jacobs, Ph.D. is Associate Professor of History at Temple
      University specializing in twentieth century American history and culture.
      Dr. Jacobs began researching the controversy over unidentified flying
      objects in America in the mid 1960's, and has amassed over 35 years of
      primary research data and analytical hypotheses on the subject.

      In 1973 Dr. Jacobs completed his doctoral dissertation in field of
      intellectual history at the University of Wisconsin-Madison on the
      controversy over unidentified flying objects in America. This was only the
      second Ph.D. degree granted involving a UFO-related theme. A revised version
      of his dissertation was published by Indiana University Press as The UFO
      Controversy in America (1975). It remains the only sympathetic book on the
      subject of the existence UFOs to be published by an academic press. For over
      twenty years Dr. Jacobs has offered the only regular curriculum university
      course on UFOs: "UFOs and American Society."

      Since 1973 Dr. Jacobs has continued to devote most of his professional and
      personal energies to researching the UFO phenomenon in general, and the
      abduction phenomenon in particular. Having conducted over 750 hypnotic
      regressions with over 125 abductees, Dr. Jacobs is one of the foremost UFO
      abduction researchers worldwide. As a result of his extensive primary
      research, he has developed the first scientific typology of the abduction
      experience.

      Dr. Jacobs has written and delivered many articles, papers, and addresses on
      the subject of UFO abduction, and has been a consultant to the major UFO
      organizations. In 1992 Dr. Jacobs' second book, Secret Life: Firsthand
      Accounts of UFO Abductions, was published by Simon & Schuster. The book is
      the most complete exposition of the structure and meaning of the abduction
      phenomenon yet published. Dr. Jacobs latest book, The Threat was published
      by Simon & Schuster in January, 1998. The book addresses important questions
      about abductions, and clarifies issues that have been the subject of much
      speculation for the past fifty years. The Threat presents the first
      evidence-driven hypothesis that provides a falsifiable solution to the UFO
      mystery.

      In addition, Dr. Jacobs has lectured on the subject of UFO abduction at
      universities and colleges across the country. In 1989 he delivered the first
      paper to a scientific organization about the abduction phenomenon at Cornell
      University. In 1992 Dr. Jacobs participated in the first session on UFOs at
      the History of Science Society, Washington D.C. In conjunction with
      colleague Budd Hopkins, Dr. Jacobs conducted the widely discussed Roper
      Organization poll of the abduction phenomenon. The results of that highly
      influential survey were published in 1992 in the booklet, Unusual Personal
      Experiences.

      Finally, Dr. Jacobs is a strong advocate of strict scientific and ethical
      research methodology. With colleagues Budd Hopkins and John Carpenter, he
      has given a series of workshops for members of the mental health community
      in the methods of abduction hypnosis, research, and therapy. In recent years
      he has concentrated on ascertaining the proper methodological techniques for
      the hypnosis and therapy of abductees. His revised "Suggestions for Hypnosis
      and Therapy of Abductees" was originally published in 1994.