Two Stories: Elephant Heaven & Hell

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 18, 2002

      ACTIVISTS DENOUNCE THAILAND'S ELEPHANT "CRUSHING" RITUAL
      By Jennifer Hile
      National Geographic Today
      October 16, 2002

      http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2002/10/1016_021016_phajaan.html

      It's a sound not easily forgotten. Just before dawn in the remote highlands
      of northern Thailand, west of the village Mae Jaem, a four-year-old elephant
      bellows as seven village men stab nails into her ears and feet. She is tied
      up and immobilized in a small, wooden cage. Her cries are the only sounds to
      interrupt the otherwise quiet countryside.

      The cage is called a "training crush." It's the centerpiece of a
      centuries-old ritual in northern Thailand designed to domesticate young
      elephants. In addition to beatings, handlers use sleep-deprivation, hunger,
      and thirst to "break" the elephants' spirit and make them submissive to
      their owners.

      "It's a ritual that exists, in varying forms and degrees of cruelty, in
      virtually every country in Asia that has domesticated elephants," explained
      Richard Lair, an American expatriate and international relations officer for
      Thailand's Elephant Conservation Center in Lampang. Lair has studied
      domesticated elephants for more than 20 years and is author of the UN report
      Gone Astray: The Care and Management of the Asian Elephant in Domesticity.

      "The people believe that to control the animal they have to do something to
      make the elephant feel fear and pain," said Sangduen "Lek" Chailert, a
      well-known Chiang-Mai-based activist who runs Jumbo Express, a program
      bringing free veterinary care to these animals. She's an outspoken critic of
      the crush.

      Born in the small mountain village of Baan Lao, in Northern Thailand,
      Chailert's devotion to elephants began at an early age. She is the
      granddaughter of a shaman, a traditional healer, who received an elephant
      named Golden One as payment for saving a man's life. From the time Chailert
      was five years old, "Goldy" was considered a part of the family. Elephants
      have been a core part of her life since.

      Chailert runs a sanctuary called Elephant Heaven for abused elephants and
      constantly campaigns on their behalf. Her exposure of the brutal crush and
      her conservation campaign has raised international awareness and also
      provoked local resistance.

      Beasts of Burden, Cultural Icons

      Thais often say elephants helped build their nation. For centuries they were
      Thailand's tanks, taxis, and bulldozers. As such, a contradiction developed:
      These beasts of burden became cultural icons. They are symbols of the king's
      divine right to rule, of good luck, even religious icons.

      But the elephants' status as cultural icons hasn't stopped a slide to
      near-extinction in Thailand. The World Conservation Union, based in Gland,
      Switzerland, lists the Asian elephant as endangered.

      A century ago, there were 100,000 elephants in Thailand. That number has
      fallen 95 percent, primarily due to loss of habitat. Of the 5,000 elephants
      left, about half are domestic, according to Lair. Little is done to protect
      them, although they remain an important part of the Thai economy.

      Thai law is ambivalent. "Domestic elephants are considered livestock," said
      Lair. "Under Thai law, they're no different from buffalo or cattle." Small
      fines, rarely enforced, are the only penalties for abusing livestock.

      Most domestic elephants now work in tourism. Worldwide fascination with
      these giants fuels a thriving industry. Travelers from around the world pay
      top dollar to take elephant rides in the forest, or watch them perform in
      shows. But the process of domesticating these animals is something few
      outsiders see.

      Brutal Training, Black Magic

      For example, elephants in the crush are taught to raise their feet on
      command so owners can easily move them. Men give orders enforced by stabbing
      at the animals' legs with sticks that have nails on the end. Mistakes are
      punished with beatings.

      Elephants are typically covered in bloody wounds and rope burns when
      released from the crush after three to six days. They are quickly tied up
      again; the training continues for weeks.

      "They say they have to let the elephant taste pain, then the elephant will
      understand how to listen," said Chailert. But brutality can produce the
      opposite effect, she argued.

      Traditionalists defend the crush. Saehai, a 91-year-old shaman from Chiang
      Dao who goes by only one name, has been a spiritual leader of breaking
      ceremonies in northern Thailand for half a century. "Only one way to do
      this, not any other," he explains firmly. "If elephant doesn't go though
      this, elephant can't be tamed."

      Villagers believe the shaman uses black magic to help tame the elephant and
      sever ties to the mother. Saehai feels pride in his work because domestic
      elephants generate much-needed income in undeveloped areas. He is an honored
      guest at every village he visits.

      Like many rural villagers, Saehai argues that to control animals that can
      eventually weigh as much as 10,000 pounds, it's essential they fear their
      keepers. He believes it's the only way to safeguard against the animal
      kicking, goring, or otherwise injuring people with whom they work.

      Chailert believes it's time for Thai people to rethink the centuries-old
      tradition. "I think it should be stopped. We have many different ways to
      train elephants; we don't have to be so cruel." She argues that positive
      reinforcement is a more effective and humane strategy for training these
      animals.

      Are there alternatives?

      Rethinking Tradition

      Elephant management techniques in the United States used corporal punishment
      and negative reinforcement to train elephants until about 30 years ago, when
      a new method began to emerge.

      "We started changing our training methods [over the last few decades]
      because we had the technology and the know-how," said Carol Buckley,
      co-founder and executive director of the Elephant Sanctuary in Hohenwald,
      Tennessee. "The new technique is called 'protected contact,' and it's used
      in more than half of accredited American zoos."

      The new training depends on rewards, not punishment.

      "In a nutshell, when the behavior of the animal approximates the target of
      behavior, you reward them," said Jeff Andrews, Animal Care Manager at the
      San Diego Wild Animal Park. He is in charge of training the African and
      Asian elephants at the San Diego Wild Animal Park.

      Chailert hopes to change how the next generation of domestic elephants is
      trained. With a tradition so deeply engrained, it won't be easy.

      The crush thrives in isolated villages where narrow dirt roads are the only
      connection to the outside world. Few outsiders venture into these remote
      areas. Isolation is what allowed the crush to continue unchanged for
      hundreds of years, and protects it still. Chailert is one of the only people
      calling for change.

      ------------

      REPORTER'S NOTEBOOK: ELEPHANTS HEAL AT THAI "HEAVEN"
      By Jennifer Hile
      National Geographic Today
      October 17, 2002

      http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2002/10/1017_021017_elephantheaven.h
      tml

      Jennifer Hile, a freelance journalist and documentary-maker, spent two and a
      half months in Northern Thailand investigating the plight of domestic
      elephants. During her visit she sent frequent dispatches to National
      Geographic Today. This one describes her experience with elephant orphans
      and "Elephant Heaven" -- a sanctuary for abused elephants founded by
      Sangduen "Lek" Chailert. Chailert is a well-known Chiang-Mai based activist
      who runs Jumbo Express, a program bringing free veterinary care to
      elephants.

      It's not easy babysitting an elephant. I spend most the day running around
      after four-month-old Geng Mai, making sure a bottle's on hand when he's
      hungry, and shooing him out of bamboo huts where his caregivers sleep at
      night.

      Geng Mai was orphaned at three days old. His mother was shot after wandering
      into a corn plantation. When villagers stumbled on him three days later,
      they called Lek Chailert, who hauled him to her sister's farm in the village
      of Sampayang, in Northern Thailand, to nurse him back to health.

      I showed up in Thailand two months ago to make a film about why Thailand's
      domestic elephants are in so much trouble, and what's being done to save
      them. It's been invaluable getting to know the animals under Lek's care.
      Their stories represent the plight of so many elephants here.

      The first thing Geng Mai teaches me is how curious these animals are. He
      uses his teeny three-foot trunk to get into everything. It's the equivalent
      of a Hoover vacuum, a water gun, and a lawn mover. Nothing escapes his
      attention, including my camera. He hooks it with his trunk and fogs up my
      lens every time I swoop in for a close up.

      Ascent to "Heaven"

      When he's older, Lek will take Geng Mai to a mountain top sanctuary she runs
      called "Elephant Heaven" just an hour north of Chaing Mai. She created this
      place for domestic elephants she rescues from abusive owners -- a big
      problem here.

      Most mythical heavens have a bathing ritual at their entrance; this place in
      no exception. When Lek and I arrive at Heaven, nine adult elephants and
      their mahouts were waiting for us at a river that runs the base of the
      mountain. Elephants love baths -- it's a chance to cool down, as well as
      wash off insects or any injuries.

      From there we hitch a ride on some of the elephants up to Lek's camp -- a
      two-hour ride to the top of the mountain. There are no seatbelts, no
      saddles. I sit behind the animal's head, one leg behind one of her ears, and
      try not to look down. For 7,000-pound Mae Perm, I am the equivalent of
      wearing a small backpack.

      Lek's camp in Heaven is a bamboo hut in the jungle. Abused elephants live
      out their lives here in peace -- there are no chains, nor any 12-hour
      workdays. It is a beautiful oasis and as far as I know, this private
      sanctuary is unique in Thailand.

      The stories of the animals here are wrenching.

      Rampant Abuse

      Lilly was given amphetamines to work round the clock on illegal logging
      until she had a physical/nervous breakdown. She was shaking, unable to eat,
      and convulsing when Lek found her.

      Ivory poachers drugged and chained Boon Khum -- a majestic male -- to a tree
      last year, and then they took off his tusks with a chainsaw. It's like
      cutting someone's tooth off right at gums -- hits all the nerves. A terrible
      infection developed. The sicker he got, the more aggressive he became. When
      Lek found him a few months later, she called him a "skeleton walking."
      That's when she bought him, to heal him.

      The smell of infection around Boon Khum is fierce. Lek and a mahout clean
      out his tusk cavity using traditional Thai medicine; herbs are collected in
      the jungle, chopped up, and boiled in river water. Water guns shoot the
      medicine into Boon Khums hollow, infected tusk cavity.

      Owners shot Jokia in the eyes with slingshots if she was "lazy" at work.
      Eventually, the abuse left her blind in both eyes. She became a terrified,
      aggressive elephant, which led to further abuse until Lek found and retired
      her. Jokia seems peaceful now, though she bumps into trees a lot. She is
      very gentle -- fearful of other elephants -- but comfortable with Lek and
      her mahout. She uses her sense of touch and smell to get around, and does
      pretty well.

      None of this led to charges against the animals' owners.

      No Legal Protection

      There is almost no legal protection for domestic elephants in Thailand.
      Despite being an endangered species, domestic elephants are considered
      livestock by law -- and there are scant penalties for their abuse. Lek
      recently filmed an elephant that was set on fire and burned to death by a
      drunken owner. There were no legal repercussions.

      Thais often say elephants helped build this nation. For centuries they were
      Thailand's tanks, taxis, and bulldozers. As such, a contradiction developed:
      these beasts of burden became cultural icons. They are symbols of the king's
      divine right to rule and of good luck; they are also religious icons.

      None of this protects them from abuse or their current slide toward
      extinction. The World Conservation Union, based in Switzerland, currently
      lists the Asian elephant as endangered. That night Lek makes dinner over an
      open fire. It's pitch black in the jungle, far from the reach of
      electricity. Her hut is on stilts -- there are no walls, just a roof, with
      all of us sitting on a mat on the floor.

      Suddenly, a 300 pound trunk lands on the floor. The 80-year-old Mae Perm,
      the oldest elephant in Heaven, had wandered up. Elephants are so quiet, we
      didn't hear her coming. It was such a magical surprise. Mae Perm was as high
      as the hut's platform and looked in at us from eye level. She used her trunk
      like a vacuum; there was a huge sucking sound as she landed her trunk in a
      rice bowl, then flung her trunk into her mouth, blasting the rice in.

      Jumbo Express

      From Heaven, I embarked on Lek's "Jumbo Express" -- a program bringing free
      veterinary care to remote elephant camps throughout the northern
      countryside.

      We traveled well past the circuit of roads, hiking and traveling on a bamboo
      raft that was about eight poles wide and filled me with terror every time I
      pulled out my camera. Generally, we just distributed de-worming medicine to
      elephants at two remote camps.

      Four days of hiking and rafting left me exhausted. But the moment we rafted
      back to a small village within reach of electricity and phone lines, Lek got
      word that a newly orphaned elephant needed sanctuary. Baby elephants are
      fragile -- we set out right then and there on a seven-hour drive into a
      remote part of northeastern Thailand.

      We arrived at midnight to find a terrified one-year old elephant, screaming
      with grief and fear. He had never before been out of sight of his mom and
      was inconsolable. His owners are from the Karen hill tribe. The next morning
      we built bamboo racks around a pickup truck's open bed, piled it with hay,
      covered it with leaves, and set off. Lek named the new baby "Hope."

      So now I lend a hand babysitting two baby elephants in between film
      projects. It's outrageously cool to be hanging out with these itty-bitty
      elephants and getting such an intimate window into their world.