Listen For Peace

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 21, 2002

      Thanks to Tom Atlee.

      ------------

      LISTEN FOR PEACE
      A Proposal to Listen - For Peace and Security
      By Thich Nhat Hanh

      http://www.plumvillage.org/TNH/PeaceProcess/a_proposal_to_listen_for_peace%2
      0-%20Letter%20and%20Signature%20Form.htm

      In light of the intensifying conflicts around the planet, and before another
      war is declared, we call upon the United States and the world community to
      pause. As one humanity, we cannot survive the continuing cycle of violence

      We recognize that the well-being and safety of the people within the United
      States and the well-being and safety of the rest of the world are
      inseparable. In order for harmony and safety to exist among nations in the
      world, we must first nourish harmony and safety in our own country. Peace
      begins with each one of us. Therefore, we propose a process of listening,
      understanding, and reconciliation on both a national and an international
      level.

      Within the US, we need to listen to our own suffering as seen in problems
      such as racial and religious discrimination, and school violence. Listening
      with compassion to this suffering would increase national understanding and
      trust, and show us paths out of division and despair. Recognizing the
      strength and goodwill of the people of our nation, we know we have the
      capacity to do this.

      We call upon community, humanitarian, and spiritual leaders to come together
      in local and national forums for compassionate listening. In these forums,
      representatives of diverse communities would be guided by people skilled in
      mediation and reconciliation to carefully express their suffering without
      blaming or condemning. When possible, these forums would be televised to
      increase participation.

      In this way, the collective understanding of our nationĀ¹s suffering would
      deepen and result in creative new solutions and legislation to improve the
      lives of all people in the US. This would help alleviate the despair in this
      land that could explode into acts of violence. By embodying strong,
      compassionate leadership through self-examination and reform, the US would
      inspire other nations.

      Internationally, we propose the creation of a peace parliament to listen to
      the suffering of people throughout the world, and to offer courageous
      alternatives to war. The parliamentĀ¹s focus would not be dialogue between
      the political representatives of nation-states and would not duplicate the
      vital role of the United Nations. It would instead create a safe space for
      members of diverse communities to share both their difficulties and visions
      for a peaceful world. This would increase understanding of difficult global
      situations, and become a source of insight and concrete proposals for
      political leaders around the world.

      We call on all people to engage in this work on both the national and
      international level. We call upon trained mediators from local, national and
      international organizations. We ask community, humanitarian, and spiritual
      leaders to volunteer, and the media to offer its support, so that these
      processes of healing can begin.

      We call upon all nations, and the United States in particular, to answer
      this immediate need, not by hastening toward increased tragedy, but by
      moving in the direction of peace and security. We must act swiftly and with
      care to create the lasting peace we all desire..