Bob Rines & His 30 Year Hunt For Nessie

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 30, 2002

      MONSTER HUNTER
      60 Minutes II
      July 24, 2002

      http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2001/12/05/60II/main320219.shtml

      There are hundreds of lakes in Scotland but only one of them, Loch Ness, is
      known throughout the world. Submerged in its waters may be a dinosaur,
      popularly known as the Loch Ness Monster.

      Bob Rines has devoted much of his life pursuing Nessie, as this monster is
      affectionately called. If the man were a crackpot, this would not be news,
      but Bob Rines is anything but.

      At 79, he has a lifetime of awards and achievements as a scientist and as a
      lawyer. Now, as Correspondent Scott Pelley reports, Rines is risking his
      reputation on hunting down a creature most of us believe does not exist.

      Growing up, Rimes learned of all the monster stories, but never believed
      them. "How could there be a monster," this physicist asks.

      But now, he knows it's all true. "I saw one," he says.

      Before giving Bob Rines a reality check, consider his background: he's a
      world-renowned patent attorney, a physicist and engineer whose
      groundbreaking work on sonar was used to find the Titanic. He's a professor
      at his alma mater, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, where he teaches a
      course on intellectual property.

      But 30 years ago, when Rines was touring Scotland, he saw the Loch Ness
      monster in the flesh.

      "I didn't want to stop looking at what I could not believe," he tells
      Pelley. "There in the middle of the Loch is the back of what, when we put
      the telescope and the binocs on it, looked like a giant elephant's back, and
      as we looked at it, we had 10 minutes, Scott. This isn't a fleeting kind of
      thing. We had 10 minutes. This lumbering thing turned around, gave us the
      wonderful spectacle of coming right back in front of us and submerged."

      A school of fish? Trick of the light? "That's what the people who've never
      seen it would say," Rines answers.

      The first report of a Loch Ness monster came in the year 565AD when an Irish
      missionary, visited the Loch, which is 24 miles long and in some places more
      than 800 feet deep. The missionary described an animal that he said broke
      the surface with a loud roar and an open mouth. Since then, there have been
      more than 1,000 alleged sightings, many of them describing Nessie as 20 to
      30 feet long with an appearance very prehistoric.

      "I remain unconvinced that there is any large prehistoric air-breathing
      animal living in Loch Ness, says Dr. Angela Milner, paleontologist at the
      world famous British Museum of Natural History.

      "Science relies on having hard evidence and not second hand reports,
      eyesight reports and hearsay," she says. "And until somebody actually comes
      up with some good hard scientific evidence that we can evaluate, it must
      remain just speculative."

      Bob Rines has spent the last three decades combing the Loch for just such
      evidence. And the more he tried, the more he realized that the only way to
      sway the skeptics was through a full-scale scientific assault. Last summer,
      he did just that.

      His two-boat navy may not look like much, but it has enough high technology
      on oard to make a camera-shy monster say "cheese." Side scanning sonar
      targets all large objects in it path. Then this ROV -- a sub operated by
      remote control -- hunts them down. The pictures it sends back to the mother
      ship are stunning. An underwater lunar landscape that whirls like a dervish,
      concealing walls of rock, craggy cliffs, and caverns that could be hiding
      places for the elusive Nessie.

      "I'm crazy, I'm crazy," says Rines. "You know Christopher Columbus, I'm
      nowhere near the great man he was, and he was told by all the people who
      knew everything about science, everything about geography, 'Don't go Chris,
      you're gonna drop off the end of the flat earth.' Sometimes too much
      knowledge prevents innovation. Prevents you from even looking."

      To do his looking, Rines is using the most advanced sonar in the world. His
      guide is Gordon Menzies, an engineer and a skeptical Scot who's convinced
      there's something strange down there.

      Why has there not been more evidence of it? "Unless you're pointing and
      looking at the right time, you've got no chance," Menzies says.

      According to international monster hunter Steve Feltham, those who do point
      and look are often misguided. Ten years ago, Feltham moved to a converted
      bookmobile on the shores of Loch Ness to look for the monster. In the
      process, he became a one-man repository of Loch Ness lore.

      Rines also relies on photography. He chose to try and film the monster
      underneath the spot where he saw her surface 30 years ago. In 1972, Rines
      installed an underwater sound stage there. Whenever a big object passed by,
      sonar would trigger the lights and start the camera, which was programmed to
      roll at one frame every 45 seconds. Rines got pictures of fish, but not much
      else. Then in 1975, something strange swam into view.

      " I could see black water, black water, black water, black water, hundreds
      of them, " he says. "All of a sudden one frame, bang. There's something
      which immediately, it looks like this, a head, a neck, and an underbody.
      Only in one frame. Next frame black water, black water, black water. So in
      45 seconds something passed the camera and has that shape. And that is why I
      feel that, impossible as it sounds, this is a carryover of something that
      should have been dead 65 million years ago."

      Rines has always believed that the picture resembles a plesiosaur, an
      aquatic, air-breathing dinosaur. Dr. Milner, who's looked at the picture,
      says that's just not possible.

      "Loch Ness is an enclosed fresh water lake which has only existed for 5000
      years," she says. "The last known plesiosaurs, which were marine animals,
      died out 65 million years ago. It doesn't seem scientifically logical to me
      that any one of them could have survived."

      Rines says he will take whatever explanation science provides. "But in my
      mind," he says, "I have a strong conviction of what it was and I certainly
      would love the rest of the world to enjoy the thought that we don't know
      everything and ome kind of a miraculous carryover was in this lake."

      On one of his sojourns, he found something that looked like a "decaying or a
      decayed carcass and vertebrae and things of this sort" that fits the
      description of what "paleontologists have told us we might expect to see
      after many years of rotting."

      Rines, the ultimate realist, won't know unless he is able to bring part of
      it up. But based on his own experience, Steve Feltham won't discount the
      possibility: " I can't dismiss the hundreds of eye witnesses that I've
      spoken to," Feltham says. "I can dismiss some of them, but I can't dismiss
      them all."

      A 60 Minutes II crew spent a week searching Loch Ness with Rines. He was
      trying to locate that carcass he'd seen earlier so he could scoop up part of
      it using a garden net he'd fastened to the ROV. He couldn't find it.

      Upon returning from that visit to Scotland, a dejected Rines was reviewing a
      videotape of the lake that was taken from land. on a windless night with no
      boats of any kind in view.

      "This is a massive wake in a flat calm bay with some object here that is
      propelling itself at a substantial velocity, throwing up quite a bit of
      bubbles in the back," he says. "I think it may be one of those things we've
      been searching for."

      Perhaps. And perhaps not. But at least, it's given Rines enough renewed
      vigor and encouragement to go back and find out what that is.