F-16s Pursue Unknown Craft Over Region

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 27, 2002

      F-16S PURSUE UNKNOWN CRAFT OVER REGION
      By Steve Vogel
      Washington Post
      Saturday, July 27, 2002; Page B02

      http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn/A8131-2002Jul26?language=printer

      For Renny Rogers, it was strange enough that military jets were flying low
      over his home in Waldorf in the middle of the night. It was what he thinks
      he saw when he headed outside to look early yesterday that floored him.

      "It was this object, this light-blue object, traveling at a phenomenal rate
      of speed," Rogers said. "This Air Force jet was right behind it, chasing it,
      but the object was just leaving him in the dust. I told my neighbor, 'I
      think those jets are chasing a UFO.' "

      Military officials confirm that two F-16 jets from Andrews Air Force Base
      were scrambled early yesterday after radar detected an unknown aircraft in
      area airspace. But they scoff at the idea that the jets were chasing a
      strange and speedy, blue unidentified flying object.

      "We had a track of interest, so we sent up some aircraft," said Maj. Douglas
      Martin, a spokesman for the North American Aerospace Defense Command in
      Colorado, which has responsibility for defending U.S. airspace. "Everything
      was fine in the sky, so they returned home."

      At the same time, military officials say they do not know just what the jets
      were chasing, because whatever it was disappeared. "There are any number of
      scenarios, but we don't know what it was," said Maj. Barry Venable, another
      spokesman for NORAD.

      Radar detected a low, slow-flying aircraft about 1 a.m. yesterday, according
      to a military official. Controllers were unable to establish radio
      communication with the unidentified aircraft, and NORAD was notified. When
      the F-16s carrying air-to-air missiles were launched from Andrews, the
      unidentified aircraft's track faded from the radar, the military official
      said, speaking on condition of anonymity.

      Pilots with the D.C. Air National Guard's 113th Air Wing, which flew the
      F-16s from Andrews, reported nothing out of the ordinary, NORAD officials
      said.

      "It was a routine launch," said Lt. Col. Steve Chase, a senior officer with
      the wing, which keeps pilots and armed jets on 24-hour alert at Andrews to
      respond to incidents as part of an air defense system protecting Washington
      after the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks.

      Rogers remains convinced that what he saw was not routine. "It looked like a
      shooting star with no trailing mist," he said. "I've never seen anything
      like it."

      ------------

      WALDORF PUTS THE U IN UFO
      WTOP
      Saturday, July 27, 2002

      http://www.wtop.com/news/newsdetail.cfm?newsid=584517

      What was that bright light in Maryland's sky???

      WTOP has learned that residents near Andrews Air Force base were shaken from
      their beds early Friday morning by some strange activity in the air.

      "Incredible. Absolutely incredible" is what Renny Rogers of Waldorf calls
      it. Just before two in the morning, Rogers says he saw a large blue ball of
      light streaking across the sky. But it was the military jets that really
      startled him.

      "(The jets) were right on its tail. As the thing would move, a jet was right
      behind it," Rogers recalls.

      He is not the only one who saw it. Several people called WTOP Radio
      reporting seeing a bright blue or orange ball moving very fast, being chased
      by jets.

      Rogers says there was no smoke coming from the object, no flashing lights,
      and says it was smooth, and eerily silent.

      The Air National Guard confirms they scrambled the 113th squadron. Spokesman
      Sheldon Smith says they are investigating and in contact with NORAD.