Woolsey Announces Resolution To Protect Falun Gong

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 25 1:24 AM

      WOOLSEY ANNOUNCES RESOLUTION TO PROTECT FALUN GONG
      Congresswoman Woolsey Website
      July 23, 2002

      http://woolsey.house.gov/newsarticle.asp?RecordID=91

      WASHINGTON, DC ­ Rep. Lynn Woolsey (D-Petaluma) Tuesday announced that she
      will introduce a House Resolution to protect Falun Gong practitioners in
      China and the United States, and to expose Chinese government intimidation
      of local American officials to rescind their support of Falun Gong. Rep.
      Woolsey spoke at the U.S. Capitol on the third anniversary celebration of
      the Chinese government officially banning the Falun Gong and promoting
      efforts to stop the religious movement. Rep. Woolsey will introduce the
      House Resolution tomorrow.

      The following is an excerpt from Rep. Woolsey's speech:

      "Three years ago the Chinese government began its brutal crackdown against
      Falun Gong practitioners. Since then, scores have been killed, thousands
      have been imprisoned, and untold numbers have been silenced.

      "Shockingly, China's campaign against the Falun Gong has extended here to
      the United States. Chinese government officials have pressured American city
      and county government leaders to rescind their support of the Falun Gong.

      "In a democratic nation that values free speech and freedom of religion,
      this action by the Chinese government is unacceptable, so I am introducing a
      Congressional Resolution to put an end to it.

      "The Resolution I will introduce will expose Chinese efforts to intimidate
      local American officials. It will call for an end to the persecution of
      Falun Gong members in China, the release of prisoners of conscience held in
      Chinese prisons, and urge President Bush to take tough action to prevent the
      Chinese government from continuing to strong-arm local officials that
      support Falun Gong here in the U.S.

      "The Resolution is about defending human rights and democracy. In America,
      local officials have every right to support individuals and organizations
      that contribute to their local community. I am outraged that a foreign
      government would try to interfere with our democratic process.

      "Many local leaders have an incentive to appease the Chinese government in
      order to continue international trade relationships. But, we must not
      abandon our values to fill our pocketbooks.

      "We must make it clear that democracy and human rights are a priority in
      America and that persecution‹including Falun Gong practitioners and those
      that support them‹is intolerable.

      All people deserve the right to live without fear and in accord with their
      own conscience."

      The audience gave Congresswoman Woolsey a standing ovation.

      FALUN GONG BECOMING APOCALYPTIC (6/14/2001):

      BEIJING'S ONGOING BATTLE WITH FALUN GONG SECT (1/30/2001):

      CHINA BRANDS ANOTHER GROUP AS A CULT (1/31/2000):

      CHINA SAYS IT WILL FIGHT HOSTILE RELIGIOUS FORCES (1/12/2000):