Mormons Take Media Beating

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 7, 2002

      MORMONS TAKE MEDIA BEATING
      By Valerie Richardson
      The Washington Times
      Thursday, February 7, 2002

      http://www.washtimes.com/national/20020207-69525696.htm

      When the Mormons fled to Utah 150 years ago, they thought they had escaped
      religious persecution, scorn and contempt for their way of life.

      Before the 2002 Winter Olympic Games in Salt Lake City are finished, they
      may decide to flee again. The Games don't begin until Friday, but already
      Utah and its Mormon denizens are absorbing a media beating that outweighs
      anything endured by past Olympic venues like Calgary or Nagano.

      Descriptions of Utah include "the strangest state in America,"
      "puritanical," "a theocracy," "holier-than-thou Hicksville" and
      "Dullsville." A trip to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints'
      President Gordon Hinckley's office is like "walking into a David Lynch
      movie," according to Time magazine.

      Over the weekend, NBC's "Saturday Night Live" ran a skit showing two Mormon
      missionaries trying to convert a downhill skier during her run.

      Somewhere in Utah, someone is thinking: For this, we weathered a bribery
      scandal?

      "Get used to it, Utah," warned the Salt Lake Tribune in Monday's edition.
      "This Olympic thing hasn't even officially started yet and already much of
      the world's media is ripping on us, dredging up the old Mormon cliches,
      reinforcing the stereotypes."

      Meanwhile, most members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints,
      or Mormons, are trying to maintain a sense of humor over the onslaught.

      "Some of our people had a good chuckle over that," church spokesman Mike
      Otterson said of the "Saturday Night Live" spoof.

      "We're just going to be who we are," Mr. Otterson said. "I think anyone who
      thinks we can control the media coverage is in never-never land. It's our
      intent to be welcoming and then hope that people have integrity."

      More integrity, say, than an Australian reporter who asked two young Salt
      Lake City missionaries to tell her about the church, then poked cruel fun at
      one who was breathing with the help of an oxygen tank.

      However harsh the early publicity, most Utahans are convinced the Olympics
      will do their image more good than harm. Working in the state's favor are
      the grandeur of the Wasatch Mountains, millions of dollars spent on road and
      beautification projects and an army of well-educated, well-mannered and
      bilingual volunteers, most of whom happen to be Mormon.

      "It's a way to reintroduce ourselves to the world," said former state Rep.
      David Zolman, who is Mormon. "We've gotten an unfavorable image over the
      years on some issues, but now we've got our best foot forward. This is our
      coming-out party."

      The hope is that once people meet them, they'll see that Utahans "aren't as
      weird as people in the press portray them," said Lee Martinez, managing
      director of the University of Utah's global business program.

      "There's no doubt that this is a big public-relations coup for Utah and the
      Mormon church," Mr. Martinez said. "[Mormons] are very, very
      image-conscious, but they're getting both the good and the bad -- you're
      seeing polygamy stories but you're also seeing stories that tow the party
      line."

      In many respects, Utah is an easy target. About 70 percent of its residents
      are Mormon, a religion whose beliefs include abstinence from alcohol,
      tobacco and caffeine.

      Much of the hue and cry has been over whether the hard-drinking press corps
      will be able to find a decent beer because Utah law prohibits bars from
      selling drinks with an alcohol content exceeding 3.2 percent.

      Those seeking stronger spirits will have to join one of the city's drinking
      clubs -- or go European. Several European diplomats have hit upon the idea
      of setting up temporary consulates where they can sell liquor tax-free.

      The state rivals Idaho as the nation's most conservative and most
      Republican, facts that don't sit well with the mainstream media. The Mormon
      church worked to pass the Defense of Marriage Act in California and has
      denounced homosexual "marriage," a move that is expected to spur a
      demonstration before the Games are over.

      Then there's the polygamy issue. Although the church banned plural marriage
      more than 100 years ago, about 30,000 polygamists still reside in Utah, an
      irresistible story for most press.

      Last year, in an effort to crack down on the practice, outspoken polygamist
      Tom Green was convicted on four bigamy charges.

      Instead, the tactic backfired, prompting polygamists to demand legalization
      as part of their right to religious expression.

      Green's five wives are expected to steal some of the spotlight during the
      Games, as is Tapestry Against Polygamy, which wants to see stronger
      enforcement of anti-polygamy laws.

      Famous for its persistent black-suited missionaries, the Mormon church has
      been hurt by criticism that it plans to use the Olympics as a venue for
      proselytizing.

      If you want to find a missionary at the Olympics, Mr. Otterson said, you'll
      have to visit Temple Square, the church's headquarters, because they won't
      be stationed at the games or airports.

      Contrary to published reports, the church was never on the verge of
      introducing an ad campaign during the Olympics, he said. But the church has
      enhanced its media center with 350 volunteers to help journalists seeking
      tours and information.

      Mormons say those who arrive for the Olympics expecting to meet a strange
      and foreign people may be in for a disappointment. "At church on Sunday, one
      guy said he'd been hosting a salesperson from out of town, and at the end of
      the week, he asked, 'Where are all these Mormons?'" said Marie Cornwall, a
      sociology professor at Brigham Young University.

      "The man told him, 'You've been talking to one all week,'" she said.

      Once visitors and television viewers get past the early publicity on Utah's
      quirks, residents hope they'll form their own opinions. "The hope is that
      they'll view Utah not as weird, but as a neat and beautiful place," Mr.
      Martinez said. "Someplace they'd like to come again."

      RELATED NHNE COVERAGE:

      THE MORMON MOMENT (11/19/200):
      http://www.nhne.com/misc/mormonmoment.html

      THE DARK SIDE OF MORMAN POLYGAMY (8/18/2000):
      http://www.egroups.com/message/nhnenews/596

      P.O. BOX 2242
      SEDONA, AZ 86339