WakaWaka Power

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 14, 2013

      To keep up with NHNE's daily dose of news, videos, quotes, photos, and
      more, go here:
      http://www.facebook.com/newheavennewearth

      WAKAWAKA POWER

      WakaWaka Power is a super efficient personal solar power station that
      charges your iPhone and any other smartphone or shines 40 hours of
      excellent reading light, all on just one day of solar charge. A
      lifesaver for those without electricity. For every WakaWaka Power sold
      during this pre-sale campaign the creators of WakaWaka will give two
      WakaWaka Lights (lights only) to Haiti, where 370,000 people still live
      in makeshift shelters without electricity...

      Learn more about WakaWaka Power here:

      http://nhne-pulse.org/wakawaka-power/

      http://www.wakawakalight.com/

      GALILEO AND THE FIREFLIES
      By James Hansen
      WakaWaka
      January 7, 2013

      http://nhne-pulse.org/wakawaka-power/

      http://www.columbia.edu/~jeh1/mailings/2013/20130107_GalileoFireflies.pdf

      I was lucky to grow up in the era of rapidly rising expectations and
      opportunities. I was born on a small farm, the son of an itinerant
      tenant farmer. None of the farms that my five sisters and I lived on had
      electricity. Daylight was extended by kerosene lamps. I barely remember
      the use of kerosene lamps, because, when I was four years old, we moved
      a small house to the outskirts of town and by the time my brother was
      born, when I was 5 years old, we had electricity.

      My four older sisters remember the kerosene lamps well; in the evening
      they did their coloring, reading and homework by them. Our parents had a
      certain dread of the lamps. Tipping one over could cause serious burns,
      if not the demise of the house.

      Did you know 1.5 billion people are still without electricity, most
      depending on kerosene lamps to extend their day? There are about 15,000
      serious burn injuries per day. And about 800 million women and children
      inhale the smoke, equivalent to up to two cigarette packs per day.

      It has been found that replacing kerosene lamps with off-grid solar
      lighting increases school grades as well as income generating capacity.
      Burn risk is eliminated and birth rates go down.

      I must digress before getting to the point. I recently went to the
      Netherlands to help launch legal action against the Dutch government for
      their failure to take meaningful action to protect the rights of young
      people to enjoy the benefits of a stable climate and avoid having dumped
      on their heads the enormous costs that will ensue from future climate
      change out of their control.

      I went in puzzlement. First, I had been surprised the previous year when
      my Dutch in-laws warned me that, for my own good, I should not talk
      about global warming in the Netherlands. Second, the legal demand,
      rather than asking the courts to require the government to do what was
      needed on the basis of science, instead seemed to concede that 2°C
      global warming was acceptable -- they asked only for what was deemed
      politically conceivable, even though more was possible if the people's
      well-being was given priority over that of the fossil fuel industry.
      Third, before arriving, I received a letter from the Dutch government
      inviting me to participate in a blog-based public discussion about the
      range of views on climate change and climate sensitivity, among a few
      scientists including contrarians, with no attempt to reach a consensus -
      the purpose being to expose the public to the "range of opinions" in
      what they described as "an exciting new way to move the climate debate
      forward." This approach -- pretending that the science is like a
      talk-show debate, giving equal weight to all opinions and "beliefs",
      encouraging the public to misinterpret the skepticism that is inherent
      in good science, allowing even informed scientists to exhibit their
      proclivity to extensively cover their fannies with waffling and caveats
      -- is designed by well-oiled coal-fired people who wish to demean
      science and redefine the matter as a public debate.

      I might not have been puzzled by the fact that Dutch politicians had
      begun to resemble Oklahoma oil-patch politicians (after all, I had found
      similar situations in a dozen countries, as I described in "Storms of My
      Grandchildren"), if I had not previously lived in the Netherlands. In
      1969 I had the good fortune to do post-doctoral study at the Sterrewacht
      of Leiden University, attracted there by the presence of the world's
      leading scientist in light scattering, Prof. Henk van de Hulst. The
      Sterrewacht, with Prof. Jan Hendrik Oort, the prolific Dutch astronomer
      for whom the Oort Cloud of cometary material is named, still an active
      researcher, was a remarkable scientific and intellectual environment. My
      colleagues there, when the first human landed and walked on the moon,
      were effusive in congratulatory praise of that Yankee technological
      triumph. Yet, even though they did not wear it on their lapel, I could
      also discern that the Dutch had a deep, justified, pride in their
      scientific and intellectual heritage, and in their common sense.

      Sadly, no more, it seems. Putting climate science in a public stock for
      pillorying is not much different than the treatment that the Church gave
      to Galileo in disrespecting his science. While Galileo could cross his
      fingers and meekly accept his punishment, that is not an option
      available to us -- continued ignorance is exactly what the greedy fossil
      kingpins crave of the public. If we allow the public to be hoodwinked,
      we sacrifice the future of our children and grandchildren.

      Remarkably, right when I was starting to think
      what-the-devil-am-I-doing-here, damn-I-shoulda-
      stayed-home-and-finished-one-of-my-long-overdue-papers, and
      get-me-outa-here, I met a Dutchman, Maurits Groen, who restored all my
      prior admiration of the Dutch. Groen (Dutch for Green) is no spring
      chicken, has been around the block a few times, but is working his butt
      off on a remarkable little project -- I should say a potentially big
      project based on a little device. He calls it WakaWaka, which I believe
      is "bright lights" in some language. I prefer the Indonesian
      translation: "fireflies". In its simplest form it is a rugged little
      solar lamp. One side is a black solar panel, which will fully charge in
      less than a day in the sun, even on a cloudy day, providing 8 hours of
      bright light, or 16 hours of good reading light. A single button
      switches between 4 brightness levels and "off". As a replacement for
      kerosene lamps, it produces all the merits mentioned above.

      Groen hopes to replace a billion kerosene lamps, a significant step for
      climate stabilization -- and a sensible step in the developing world
      toward a more sustainable path than that followed in the developed
      world. At the recent first meeting of the Leadership Council of the
      "Sustainable Development Solutions Network", an initiative for the
      United Nations, I gave my WakaWaka to Ted Turner -- who may encourage
      the SDSN to find a way to make things happen. Once mass-produced, a
      solar lamp can be paid for with the cost of two months kerosene for a
      kerosene lamp.

      There is a chance to jump start this process. In Haiti there are 370,000
      people who live in darkness and use kerosene lamps -- some of them still
      displaced by the devastating earthquake, others by the recent Hurricane
      Sandy. Groen, and his Dutch WakaWaka co-founder Camille van Gestel, who
      is managing manufacturing in California, are focusing on getting
      WakaWaka power to these people in Haiti via a crowd-funding "kick-start"
      approach. Go to [this] web site http://kck.st/U9mig4 and click on the
      2-minute discussion by van Gestel and consider buying one of the
      WakaWakas, which will result in a matching donation of a WakaWaka to a
      family in Haiti.

      Note that they are about to come out with a new version that will charge
      cell phones (or iPads) as well as provide the lamp. This will be
      particularly useful in the developing world, where cell phone use is
      exploding. If you choose the $69 option (the one I am choosing) they
      will donate WakaWakas to two Haitian families, and you will get a
      WakaWaka in May that includes cell phone charging.

      I can vouch for the honesty, sincerity and hard-working dedication of
      Maurits, who I have met, talked, and corresponded with. I am confident
      that his colleague in the U.S. has similar qualities.

      370,000 is a small compared to the 1.5 billion without electricity. I
      don't think we can count on our governments to do the job, even for
      Haiti. But if we can get it to work on that scale, it can be scaled up,
      as it will become self-supporting for the reason mentioned above
      (savings via free solar energy, instead of costly kerosene).

      David Sunfellow
      Founder & President
      NewHeavenNewEarth (NHNE)
      nhne@...

      Support NHNE
      http://bit.ly/1UPp8x

      NewHeavenNewEarth (NHNE)
      http://nhne.org

      How Near-Death Experiences Are Changing The World
      http://goo.gl/wWEM3

      NHNE NDE
      http://nhne-nde.org

      NHNE NDE Resource Center & Social Network
      http://nhneneardeath.ning.com

      NHNE Pulse NDE Resource Page
      http://nhne-pulse.org/resource_pages/near-death-experiences/

      NDE Stories