Documentary: 'Supernature: Esalen And The Human Potential'

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 2, 2012

      Keep up with all the news in NHNE's universe, visit NHNE Pulse:
      http://nhne-pulse.org/todays-news/

      ---------------

      Watch the two movie trailers that accompany this post on Pulse:

      http://nhne-pulse.org/supernature-esalen-and-the-human-potential/

      *SUPERNATURE: ESALEN AND THE HUMAN POTENTIAL*
      A Documentary project in Houston, TX by Scott Hulan Jones
      KickStarter

      http://nhne-pulse.org/supernature-esalen-and-the-human-potential/

      Original Link
      <http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1934768215/supernature-esalen-and-the-human-potential>

      *ABOUT SUPERNATURE: ESALEN AND THE HUMAN POTENTIAL*

      In the early 1960's two young visionaries, Richard Price and Michael
      Murphy, founded a place to explore and nurture what Aldous Huxley had
      named the "human potentialities," his expression for the fantastic
      reaches of mind and body hinted at in the altered states of mystical
      literature, psychical research, and psychedelic experience. They named
      this new place "Esalen." And they sparked an enduring movement that has
      changed countless lives.

      Murphy and his colleague, journalist George Leonard, named their new
      initiative "The Human Potential Movement." The result was a new
      visionary school, a Hogwarts before Hogwarts, that fostered both a set
      of techniques to actualize these human potentials and a worldview in
      which these potentials could be recognized, accepted, and nurtured. Most
      of all, they delved, enthusiastically, into questions about the latent
      or secret nature of reality and the human being that were, and still
      are, considered out of bounds in the universities and religions.

      SUPERNATURE: ESALEN AND THE HUMAN POTENTIAL is a documentary film about
      the influential Esalen Institute in Big Sur, California, and The Human
      Potential Movement it spawned. At a time of unprecedented political,
      social and ideological conflict, we believe the world would benefit from
      a broad, beautiful, and sophisticated exposure to the ideas and
      practices fostered by Esalen, particularly those that move us beyond the
      present schizophrenic split between religion and science. We believe
      that the world is crying out for positive, even ecstatic models and
      ideas that can embrace the best of our religious pasts without being
      bound to those pasts; that can celebrate the discoveries of science
      without equating these discoveries with a materialism of despair and
      meaninglessness; and that can finally envision the human being as a
      conscious embodiment of the evolving cosmos. With SUPERNATURE, we hope
      to bring exactly this vision to a much wider audience and so play our
      part in the transformation and future of American culture.

      SUPERNATURE is based on Jeffrey J. Kripal's definitive and wide-ranging
      history, ESALEN: AMERICA AND THE RELIGION OF NO RELIGION. In the film we
      are focusing on Esalen as the mecca of the Human Potential Movement, and
      the people and ideas that have comprised that movement for 50 years.
      Principle photography began at Esalen in May, 2011, when we shot
      interviews with and presentations by a number of Esalen luminaries:
      Esalen co-founder Michael Murphy, Track-Two Executive Director Dulce
      Murphy, Experimental Physicist Russell Targ, Theoretical Physicists Nick
      Herbert and Elizabeth Rauscher, Neuroscientist Ed Kelly, Historian of
      Psychology Adam Crabtree, Professor of Religion Dana Sawyer,
      Psychologist Charles Tart, Transpersonal Psychology Pioneers Stanislav
      and Christina Grof, Professor of Somatics Don Hanlon Johnson, and German
      Professor of Slavic Literatures and Culture Birgit Menzel. We also have
      previously recorded interviews with Astronomer, Computer Scientist and
      UFO Expert Jacques Vallee, Writers Erik Davis, Mitch Horowitz, Victoria
      Nelson, Doug Moench, Lawrence Sutin and Christopher Knowles,
      Parapsychologist Dean Radin, Physicist Ed May, Professor of Religious
      Studies Christopher Partridge, and Clairaudient Paul Selig.

      We will be shooting additional interviews in Saulsalito, California in
      January 2012. Among those who have been confirmed are Jim Fadiman, Steve
      Harper, Ed Maupin, Michael Murphy, Chris Price, Richard Tarnas, Pam
      Walatka, Gordon Wheeler, and Nancy Lunney-Wheeler. Closer to home we
      will soon shoot interviews with G. William Barnard and Jessica Grogan.
      Our efforts to recruit additional interviewees is ongoing. We are also
      planning to shoot footage at Esalen for two or more weeks in July 2012.
      Finally, we hope at various times throughout the year to shoot expanded
      profiles of some of the principle subjects.

      The work we've done so far on SUPERNATURE has been funded out of our own
      pockets. In this initial funding phase, we are raising $22,000 to help
      cover the travel and partial production costs for our upcoming shoots,
      and to acquire some archival imagery. Every dollar helps and will be
      greatly appreciated. Our goal is to finish at least a rough cut of the
      film in time for Esalen's 50th anniversary in September of 2012 and
      premiere the film that same month in Big Sur.

      Please reach out to anyone you know who might appreciate our effort to
      tell this story and so impact the broader culture in positive and
      creative ways. You can tell the world you like us onFacebook
      <http://www.facebook.com/supernaturethemovie>!

      *SUPERNATURE: ESALEN AND THE HUMAN POTENTIAL*

      Producer/Director: Scott Hulan Jones
      Writer/Producer: Jeffrey J. Kripal
      Director of Photography: Richard Lacy
      Composer: Noel Flatt

      *RELATED LINKS:*

      .Supernature Kickstarter Page
      <http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1934768215/supernature-esalen-and-the-human-potential>
      .Supernature Page on Facebook <http://www.facebook.com/supernaturethemovie>
      .Esalen Website <http://www.esalen.org/>
      .Esalen Center for Theory & Research <http://www.esalenctr.org/index.cfm>
      .Wikipedia on Esalen <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Esalen_Institute>

      . ITP, George Leonard, Michael Murphy & Ken Wilber On Integral
      Transformative Practice
      <http://integralnhne.ning.com/forum/topics/1870157:Topic:525>
      .Esalen, Ken Wilber & Integral Life Practice
      <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/nhnenews/message/15304>
      .Followup: Integral: Esalen, Ken Wilber & Integral Life Practice
      <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/nhnenews/message/15307>
      .The Great Integral Awakening (Interviews & Links)

      .Esalen Institute Statement of Purpose
      <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/nhnenews/message/15646>
      .About The Esalen Center For Theory & Research
      <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/nhnenews/message/15330>
      .The Esalen Archives Of Extraordinary Human Functioning
      <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/nhnenews/message/15332>
      .Esalen Institute Explores The Survival Of Bodily Death
      <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/nhnenews/message/15329>

      .Important: Stephen Dinan Interviews Esalen Founder Michael Murphy
      <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/nhnenews/message/15721>
      .Human Potential Pioneer George Leonard Dies
      <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/nhnenews/message/16409>
      .Interview With Jeffrey Kripal: Esalen's Tantric Transhumanism
      <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/nhnenews/message/15560>
      .The Supernatural, Supernormal & Popular Culture Conference At Esalen
      <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/nhnenews/message/15667>
      .Esalen America & The Religion Of No Religion
      <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/nhnenews/message/15559>
      .Esalen: Top Hippie Enclave Is Hip Again
      <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/nhnenews/message/15305>

      NHNE Pulse
      http://nhne-pulse.org/

      NHNE on Google+