An Insider's View Of The James Arthur Ray Trial

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 2, 2011

      Keep up with all the news in NHNE's universe, visit NHNE Pulse:
      http://nhne-pulse.org/todays-news/

      ---------------

      A RETROSPECT VIEW HAVING WORKED THE JAMES ARTHUR RAY TRIAL
      By Shondra Jepperson
      Facebook
      Friday, July 1, 2011

      http://nhne-pulse.org/an-insiders-view-of-the-james-arthur-ray-trial/

      http://www.facebook.com/notes/shondra-jepperson/july-1st-2011-a-retrospect-view-having-worked-the-james-arthur-ray-trial/10150241346602226

      Most of you know that for the past several months I've been running
      audio for the James Arthur Ray trial in the neighboring town of Camp
      Verde. Many people I’ve run into have asked me out of curiosity, how I
      landed this gig and what my take was on James Ray and the trial. After
      it was suggested by one of my closest friends and creative partners, Al
      Comello, I decided to share some of my stories and opinions in this way.
      Al, this one's for you!

      His original suggestion was for me to compose and submit an article to
      the local papers. He strongly felt that people around here would want to
      read something like this since he believes that I may be the only
      resident from Sedona who had the opportunity to work on this trial who
      wasn’t a reporter or had some group they were representing on one side
      or the other. I chose to post this "note" here on FB, which is perhaps
      more like a blog of sorts rather than an article. Hopefully, you’ll find
      some of this worth the read. I’ve got some behind the scenes fun stuff
      as well as my own thoughts about the case, James Ray and what I walked
      away with other than just having run sound for another client in another
      venue.

      In April, I was called in from a dear and talented friend of mine, Greg
      Youtsey, to fill in for him as the audio tech running the LIVE hits for
      Court TV, CNN and Headline News on this trial. The plan was for him to
      run the sound in the courtroom while I did the LIVE hits in the outside
      trailer. Then once the end of April came he was scheduled to leave for
      Los Angeles to run audio for Court TV/CNN’s coverage of the Conrad
      Murray, (Michael Jackson’s doctor), trial.

      At that time, the outside trailer was going away and the trial would be
      covered only in the courtroom as well as be recorded where I’d cover
      that job while Greg was away in Los Angeles. The Casey Anthony trial had
      pretty much eclipsed the James Ray coverage as far as LIVE hits so
      that’s why the trailer was sent away.

      Are you still with me?

      Once we got to that last week of April, it turned out that the Conrad
      Murray trial got postponed until September. All of the plans changed in
      an instant and Greg found himself coming back to run the sound in the
      courtroom throughout the month of May with me subbing for him
      occasionally so he could visit his daughter Zoey in San Diego.

      Once we got into the later part of May, Greg's daughter Zoey, who has
      been and still is in the hospital battling for her life with leukemia
      along with complications from surgeries and infections, became even more
      serious. Zoey's condition with scheduled surgeries while trying to get
      her healed enough to make her high school graduation in mid June, gave
      even greater reasons for him to be by her side. These circumstances put
      me in the position of filling in for Greg in the courtroom for the
      entire month of June. BIG thanks to Mitchell, owner of the company who
      contracts with Court TV who allowed me to be Greg's fill in.

      A huge thank you goes out to each of you who have been praying for
      Greg's daughter Zoey. Although not out of the woods yet, I am happy to
      report that Zoey did indeed graduate with her classmates on June 16th
      with Greg wheeling her up to receive her diploma while her whole family
      cheered her on.

      Thank you God!

      It may be important to mention that people round these parts are more
      familiar with me as someone they see performing on stage in various
      combinations whether it’s with my partner husband as Tom & Shondra or
      whether it's my Emceeing, acting in a play or musical at our regional
      theatre, Canyon Moon Theatre, one of three Sedona Divas or producing
      various projects and events around Sedona. Truth be known, I've worked
      as a sound techie for years setting up and running professional sound
      for festivals, bands, events, panels of speakers as well as our gigs.
      Running sound was not foreign to my experience and being that said, this
      environment was a new one for me. I'd not ever run sound in a courtroom
      before, let alone run and record it for Court TV/CNN and have it
      streaming LIVE. Back in late April, when Greg had mentored me through
      the process, (thank you Greg!), neither of us realized at the time that
      I’d be filing in for him more than either of us knew.

      Being that this particular high profile case had to do with a tragedy
      that happened in our own backyard in the surrounding area of Sedona,
      this held some personal interest for me for many reasons. Lemme tell ya,
      it was like having a front row seat and a back stage pass. This case is
      also somewhat significant in there is no record of cases having to do
      with sweat lodges so this was new territory for the lawyers and the
      judge in more ways than one.

      Happy to be short, on the slim side and agile, I was able to get in and
      around the tight squeeze of the sound board, digital recording deck,
      camera and dozens of cords in the corner of the back of the left side of
      the courtroom. With respect to the cable mess, I now know first hand
      that you don’t’ get a lot of time to set up sound gear in a courtroom
      and time constraints were fairly strict in this one. There was a LOT of
      gear in there and lord only knows how long the crew had time to install
      everything. When I first got back around the gear I was going to be
      working at, I was a bit nervous that I might accidentally unplug something.

      As fate would have it, to my chagrin, the very first day on the job
      there in the courtroom, my left foot touched one of the power strips
      that was plugged into yet another power strip and out came the cable
      that plugged in the digital tape deck! Have you ever panicked quietly???
      I can honestly say that I have! Ha! YIKES! Thank goodness for Dennis,
      the cameraman on the job who was kind enough to help me find how to
      reset the recorder without too much of a noisy fuss and still being able
      to do his own job.

      Thank you Dennis!!!

      Dennis was to my right while we digitally taped everything and often
      streamed LIVE on CNN.com. We could see the Well of the courtroom where
      all the action with the attorneys was happening, the jury in front of us
      on the left, the prosecution in front of us on the left side of the
      courtroom and the defense lawyers in front on the right side. My job was
      riding 10 microphones that were previously set up around the courtroom.
      I had to anticipate where the lawyers would move and ride the mic
      nearest them, as well as anticipate when they would object and when the
      judge would decide to talk. Formatting digital disks, changing batteries
      on cordless mics during breaks and keeping watch on the tape deck to
      make sure levels were good while recording. Staying focused and awake
      was a challenge at times with the hours of questioning especially when
      it was the same question with the same witness over and over and over
      again…lol.

      As I mentioned earlier, in April, I spent a lot of time being the audio
      person on the team in the trailer outside where we fed LIVE interviews
      to CNN & Headline News in New York which was first sent via satellite to
      Atlanta. Court TV's correspondents like Beth Karas and producer Michael
      Christian would be ready to give their reports daily. We would sometimes
      be on stand by for more LIVE hits -- sometimes up to five in the morning.

      This can be confusing so I’m gonna do my best to explain a few things
      just for the sake of clarity in knowing a bit about how all of this was
      set up and worked. TruTV, what used to be the Court TV Channel, is now
      owned by Ted Turner’s CNN. The show IN Session, (aka Court TV program),
      is now only broadcast on TruTV in the mornings until 3PM Eastern time.
      The regular CNN and Headline News Channels are separate and broadcasts
      coverage 24/7 so when IN Session on TruTV was over each day, we would be
      on stand by for LIVE hits with both CNN and Headline News Channels.

      So now I’m really going to confuse you and mention that besides
      Mitchell’s trailer there was also Mitchell’s satellite truck parked
      nearby in which Mitchell was receiving the LIVE feeds from us as well as
      the courtroom. This was how everything was being sent to Atlanta and New
      York -- via Mitchell’s satellite truck. By the way, Mitchell’s satellite
      truck is awesome. A full wall of monitors on one side with direction
      controls in which Mitchell would operate and a whole other area with
      monitors where the Court TV producers and correspondents could sit and
      compose their daily accounts on their laptops.

      Since we had to keep our pulse on all the channels, there were three
      monitors in the trailer. One tuned to TruTV’s program IN Session for
      those LIVE hits in the mornings and CNN/Headline News in the afternoons.
      The 2nd monitor was receiving the feed from the courtroom so the
      correspondent could watch and compose his/her report for the hit. The
      third monitor was a small one mounted on a stand for the correspondent
      who was seated in a lit area ready to report on air with either choice
      of channel or courtroom to watch.

      The cameraman, correspondent and I in the trailer as well as Mitchell in
      the truck, waited on headsets for Atlanta to contact us for the
      scheduled LIVE hit coming up and check for a good connection form us. We
      could hear the conversations and directions being given to crew and
      correspondents by the directors. It was interesting to watch the show on
      TV while listening to directions we heard on our headsets to the
      correspondents on the air. Hearing jokes and comments that no one else
      but the Atlanta/New York crew and correspondent on air was hearing
      during guest interviews was pretty cool. One had to remember that if the
      audio feed was up in the trailer and truck, Atlanta heard our
      conversations too.

      Dennis our cameraman who was working the courtroom throughout the trial
      also worked the outside trailer on Mondays since the judge had ruled
      Mondays would be a day off in the courtroom. Greg had told me that I'd
      enjoy working with Dennis, that he would make me feel right at home
      cause he made friends with everyone easily, always making it his
      business to know everyone in the wherever he worked. I was also warned
      that he was a prankster and quite a comedian.

      Greg couldn’t have been more accurate! The first day I worked with
      Dennis on the LIVE hits in the outside trailer, after admitting that I
      was not a fan of bugs, he quickly disappeared to his car to grab a hand
      full of plastic black cockroaches and upon his speedy return to the
      trailer, strategically placed a few of them on the seat that I was
      planning to sit on. Scared the hell outta me -- BIG laugh for both of us!

      In the courtroom, he had the very strict bailiff in the courtroom and
      everyone else, cracking up with his replies during her instructions on
      conduct after each recess. After a while, I think the bailiff actually
      looked forward to his antics. The barking cell phone, the hard candies
      he’d flaunt, blurting out choice comedic comments that all of us wished
      to say but didn’t have the guts to!

      It’s safe to say that Dennis had said Hi or casually chatted being
      friendly to everyone for the exception of jurors and witnesses who were
      off limits by law. Dennis had gotten to know the whole working staff at
      Starbucks in Camp Verde plus folks working at the Out Of Africa Park, by
      name (tigers included) and most likely visa versa! Clearly, everybody
      loves Dennis!

      I ran the audio in the trailer when one of the Court TV producers
      interviewed James Arthur Ray’s mother. No matter how one stands on their
      opinion on whether JAR is guilty or not, one could only feel compassion
      for his mother. She, like most moms out there, loves her son deeply and
      it was obvious by what she said, along with the emotion she displayed,
      that she could not even fathom how anyone could find JAR arrogant, let
      alone guilty. She stood firmly on her belief that it was all an accident
      and that her son never meant any harm. I felt her sincerity and sadness
      as she openly expressed for the victims and their families.

      I remember making eye contact with James Ray for the first time in the
      courtroom. It was odd. The look was almost like he knew me and I felt
      very uncomfortable and turned away. I'm sure my knowing what he was
      being prosecuted for as well as having my own feelings about it promoted
      my discomfort but as the weeks went I never found his eyes soulful --
      for me, they were more like a shark’s eyes -- nothing there. They were
      far from alluring.

      Gotta add this -- I found James Ray’s energy peculiarly strange, dark
      and yet overtly charismatic -- more than the dangerous type -- the kind
      of man that one could imagine women fawning over due to his presence.
      When he'd walk into the courtroom you knew it. I often imagined how he
      must have been when he was conducting his seminars when he was really
      "on" running his own show. What could he have been like with an air of
      power, fame and financial wealth when he was really riding high? The
      kind of authoritative figure that could trigger certain people to do
      whatever was put in front of them in order to make him proud of them.
      There were several witnesses that confirmed my original feels with their
      testimony to this. Wanting to show off for him as to get recognized out
      of the crowd so as to meet his approval. Even under the tensions of the
      circumstances in the courtroom, a bit of arrogance emanated from him.

      Passing by JAR in the hallways, his opening the courtroom door for me
      once as well as walking down the stairs of the courthouse on the last
      day shoulder to shoulder with him, I felt oddly uneasy. I found myself
      taking precautions not to make eye contact with him but tried my best
      anyway to at least act relaxed and casual around him as my cohorts
      appeared to be but had no success with it. I never casually chatted with
      him either, unlike our producer Jim, cameraman Dennis and some reporters
      who were with us each day waiting in the hallway with JAR and his team
      before the courtroom doors opened every morning or during recesses. I
      never had a desire to chat with him.

      Despite my own take on everything with the case and at times feeling
      abhorred by what I heard he did or didn’t do, I found myself feeling a
      bit of compassion for him -- just couldn't find my way into maintaining
      eye contact with the man. One day back in May, while many of us were
      waiting in the hallway to get back into the courtroom after lunch,
      someone on his team made a joke about something that had been said in
      testimony regarding the talking to ants. There were lawyers and
      reporters laughing out loud about it and I took a glance over to my left
      where James Ray was sitting about 6 ft. away from me reading a book to
      see if he was amused. He only looked over at them briefly and then
      stoically continued to read. What could he have been thinking, I
      wondered? (What book was he reading?) For a moment, I actually felt sad
      for him -- his team laughing while his life, freedom and reputation were
      all on the line -- just seemed a bit callous on their parts under the
      given circumstances with their client sitting right there. I found it
      inappropriate and distasteful.

      During May and June, the courtroom was full of the same faces. Not just
      media and family members, but people who I guess wanted to be there
      every day to watch how all of this unfolded. Must mention that there
      were several Lakota tribe members sitting on our side of the courtroom
      for weeks. Many were taking notes besides listening to the accounts
      stated by witnesses. It became quite apparent over the course of the
      weeks of testimony that, James Ray’s so called "sweat lodge" was in
      truth a heat endurance test of some kind. I can only imagine the anguish
      and distress that all of this has brought upon the Indian nations. Some
      must feel extremely violated in that something so sacred as a sweat
      lodge, which is part of their history and spiritual beliefs, had been
      perverted into a heat endurance exercise where people needlessly lost
      their lives.

      While I worked on this trial from April on, I overheard many people
      around me discussing their opinions on “sweat lodges,” and no offense,
      but most of their comments came out of ignorance. On occasion, I’d put
      my two cents in, trying to explain that James Ray’s version of a sweat
      lodge was not by any means even remotely close to an authentic lodge. As
      I did my best to describe the differences, they listened with nary a
      response.

      For those who wonder or don't know first hand, real authentic sweat
      lodges are safe when conducted by people who’ve put years into being
      students of sweat lodges and have studied with Indians. Those people
      understand their true spiritual and traditional meaning and absolutely
      know that it has very little to do with how hot you get the lodge. Back
      in 1999 in San Diego, Tom and I, my sister, several friends and others
      experienced a sweat lodge together. Tom and my sister had a history of
      having some experiences of their own been in sweat lodges and they were
      good ones. The person leading this lodge had studied the sweat lodge
      traditions with Indians for over 30 years.

      There were 12 of us in the one we all attended, which included the
      leader. It cost us $30.00 each which paid for the space and the campsite
      we slept on that night. We were taught about the sweat lodge most of the
      day, we even made the sweat lodge ourselves with breathable blankets. We
      were also instructed and encouraged over and over again throughout the
      day by the leader of the lodge that if for any reason at all if we
      needed to leave the lodge, even during a round, all we needed to do was
      to say so and we would be let out. As a matter of fact, during the first
      round, one person did ask to leave and was excused without hesitation.
      The lodge was hot but not scorching as to feel your skin burning or not
      being able to breathe. It was more like a moist hot sauna and for me, it
      felt quite calming and nurturing. Four to five rocks were brought in at
      each round and before every round we were all led out of the lodge to
      drink water, splash water on ourselves and cool down before returning if
      we wanted to continue. There was never any peer pressure to go back in
      or not to leave. I believe we did six or seven rounds. This was not a
      heat endurance event. It was always about prayer, sharing intentions
      around the circle and other times just being in that still quiet space
      that felt relaxed and safe. No one became unconscious, (nor was warned
      they would), or dragged out of the lodge and no one was hosed down by
      someone else with the possible shock of cold water.

      During the weeks we heard from witness after witness with coinciding
      recollections, doctors and medical examiners with graphic reports. For
      weeks the first two rows behind the prosecuting lawyers were filled with
      friends and family of the victims who had flown from across the country
      to be there. A lot of what we heard from the witness stand was
      distressing and how family members and friends managed to endure some of
      it was beyond me. We not only heard audio recordings of JAR explaining
      to the participants that day about what they were to expect in his
      version of a sweat lodge including all of his "rules" but we also heard
      audio recordings of a few of the deceased victims. These tapes were
      eerie to listen to but were all telling about the characters of the
      people speaking.

      It was obvious to everyone who heard these recordings that the victims
      were intelligent, loving, caring individuals. The audio recording of
      James Shore really stands out in my memory as he stated his intentions
      of the kind of person he was focused on being in this lifetime. He was
      obviously living his intentions. It was stated several times by
      witnesses that despite his own weakened state, James Shore had been seen
      dragging an unconscious participant out of the tent himself, past JAR
      who was sitting near the door. Upon coming back into the tent, he bumped
      his head in which left a nasty bruise on his forehead that later the
      examiner would note. Exhausted and not feeling well himself, he returned
      inside the tent to sit/lie down next to Kirby Brown and spent the rest
      of his life -- literally -- comforting her. We learned that he had
      called out for help twice and both times denied. Many of the witnesses
      told the same story of how he held Kirby's hand while hearing him say
      “sweet” encouraging things to her that everything was going to be fine.
      We all realized, as this information came pouring out of witness's
      mouths, that while Kirby laid there dying, James took his last breaths
      alongside her filling his intention of wanting to be of service. It
      would be fair to say that James Shore lived his intentions of conducting
      his life with pure love, compassion and integrity right up to the moment
      he passed -- God bless him.

      The arguments, discussions and the composing of statements agreed by
      both parties with the judge to “fix” inappropriate things said by either
      party in front of the jury was educational. There is a lot that the jury
      did not hear. I’m sure this is fairly common although I learned from the
      people I was around that some of this was excessive. In these moments, I
      learned some things about how our judicial system works in a courtroom
      and it answered a lot of questions I had regarding why certain pieces of
      information were not allowed to be included in this case. Not hard to
      note that a few of the lawyers couldn’t stand each other and some of
      what they put on the record sounded like preteens fighting.

      The discussions with the Court TV crew, CNN producers and correspondents
      during these months were just as, if not more, stimulating. Most
      everyone I worked with had been with Court TV for 10, 12 and 18 years.
      One producer Jim Kyle, who is a terrific guy, had worked with NBC and
      Dateline for many years as both an editor and producer. They'd seen it
      all and their comments, stories and opinions regarding everything to do
      with this case as verses other trials they'd worked on, was an education
      unto itself. I loved it. I found everyone from Court TV/CNN crew to be
      upstanding, honorable and respectful professionals.

      I think I counted four times in which I heard the defense request a
      mistrial and from what I learned about the law, the judge could have
      easily granted it to them especially the first time they asked back in
      April. It was all the buzz back then on Court TV. All the correspondents
      were completely convinced that the judge was no doubt going to call a
      mistrial due to a Brady Rule offence. Description reads -- “Suppression
      of exculpatory evidence in a criminal case -- the failure of prosecutors
      to reveal exculpatory evidence to defendants and their attorneys which
      may result in an unjust conviction.” The defense team made sure that
      this hung over the prosecuting lawyers throughout the rest of the trial.
      Regardless of what side one thinks is just, there are rules to how our
      judicial system works and certainly none of us would want to be a
      defendant subject to a court in which rules were broken thus possibly in
      the end, being wrongly judged.

      Running sound the days of the closing arguments was like watching a TV
      courtroom drama. The defense's closing arguments was dramatic -- not too
      far off from something we'd see on the show Boston Legal. I happen to be
      a fan of such TV dramas so I was certainly wide awake during that part!
      As far as casting, if the actor James Spader were Asian, he would have
      done a find job playing the defense lawyers Luis Lee. I have to say,
      Lee’s was dynamic in his closing.

      My last day working with Court TV/CNN was the day that the verdict came
      in on Wednesday, June 22nd. When we learned that the jury had a verdict
      it was close to 2:30PM. News of the verdict coming in, worked its way
      down the crowed hallway from one person to the next and all of us
      quickly filed into the courtroom. The jury was due in at 2:50PM with the
      clerk announcing the verdict and as stated, the jurors came in only a
      minute or two shy of that.

      We all listened quietly -- James Ray’s parents, brother and entourage of
      friends and cohorts on one side, with family and friends of the victims
      on the other side in front of where we were set up in the back. The
      other media such as Dateline, Phoenix TV reporters, a photographer and
      press from the Arizona Republic Newspaper and other reporters including
      the L.A. Times, were there poised at their laptops. It felt like the
      room was holding it’s breath in anticipation before the verdicts were read.

      After the clerk announced not guilty on the first count of Manslaughter
      but then guilty for Negligent Homicide, we all became aware that the
      jury had no doubt decided this on all three counts. As our predictions
      came true with the clerk continuing to announce guilty of Negligent
      Homicide, the defense team was visibly shaken. There was a sense of
      silent despair and shock from that side of the room. The side we were
      on, the victim's family members and friends were quietly crying,
      consoling one another. One woman couldn't help but discreetly stretch
      her arms up above her head several times with a gesture silently that
      conveyed "Yes! Thank you!"

      Had I been a juror -- you might ask me, did I agree on their decision?

      Yes.

      The trial continued on June 28, 29th and the 30th without Court TV there
      to capture the scheduled witnesses who testified in front of the jury
      regarding the aggravating factors. These testimonies were extremely
      important in the jury and judge’s decision regarding the severity of
      James Ray’s sentence. In the end, the jury could only agree that James
      Arthur Ray was guilty on only one of the three counts of the aggravating
      factors in which was extreme emotional harm to the victims and their
      families plus one additional factor - that Ray had a unique position of
      trust - in the case of Liz Neuman. The judge finally dismissed the jury
      on the 30th and now it’s up to him to determine what the sentencing will
      be. The next court date is scheduled for July 25th although we are
      hearing that the sentencing might not take place until August. That
      means that JAR will have at least most of July to mull over what his
      life may be facing next. He may be given as little as probation, serve a
      few months or years in prison or face the full maximum sentence of nine
      years. The maximum eleven years was changed to nine years due to the
      jury’s verdict on the aggravating factors.

      Many of my friends have asked me, do you think James Ray will be acquitted?

      I think that if James Ray is sentenced to serve time in jail, his
      attorneys will definitely implore an appellate court and they might have
      substantial evidence on record to be granted one. Remember though, James
      Ray, if sentenced to serve time, will be in jail during this process. If
      an appeal is granted, his business will never be the same. He has been
      hit and his practices exposed.

      Like maybe some of you reading this, I’m definitely into self
      introspect, wanting to learn, grow and expand more spiritually as well
      as alleviate anything within me that might hold up my successes in areas
      of my life in which I wish to attain. I’ve never been a self help junkie
      although I have admired many motivational speakers barring James Arthur
      Ray, whom I hadn’t heard of him prior to this tragedy probably cause I’m
      the only one on the planet who didn’t see the movie The Secret…lol.
      Being that I’ve been conducting my life with Religious Science of Mind
      and Unity practices, when The Secret came out, I just laughed and said,
      “Secret? The Secret is there IS no secret!” Religious Science of Mind
      and Unity have been teaching the law of attraction since their inception!

      I’ve enjoyed my share of good self help like books. In the past, Tom and
      I both finished the whole Tony Robbins 25 audio program a few times,
      we’ve written in countless journals of gratitude, our thoughts and
      experiences for years. We studied Reiki, EFT and a few other modalities
      from some qualified individuals.

      You would not find either of us spending $10,000 to attend a retreat
      such as James Ray’s Spiritual Warrior event. If we had a spare $10,000,
      we wouldn’t be spending it on a seminar believe me!

      One of the ways in which I’ve been affected from having been amidst all
      of this for several months is - I don’t look at the Self Help world
      quite the same way anymore. Not that I ever thought that some
      motivational speaker was the end all answer. I’ve known way better than
      that. I just don’t think I’ll ever be signing up to fire walk or hot
      coals. Although one day, when it’s with a credible Native American
      leader, if I’m ever invited, will participate in a sweat lodge again.

      Bear in mind that these statements below are to remind myself of things
      I’ve either known or have come to a deeper understanding of during this
      time. The following statements are in no way declarations of some kind
      of dogma or truth for you or anyone else -- only for myself. People just
      keep asking me… did you learn anything from this experience. Here we go!
      AND If you’d like to add to this list, go for it! I’d LOVE for you to
      share them with me!

      1. Keep your head about you and your heart open no matter how awesome
      people think you are. Any and all of us are subject to making wrong
      choices when we allow our ego to run amuck and guide our lives.

      2. Stay conscious with your own set of boundaries. When you see red
      flags -- wait, think and breathe..."Do not pass Go." No one knows you
      like YOU know you. Follow your own instincts. AND always remember, it's
      okay to say no OR yes regardless of other people pushing you one way or
      the other.

      3. If you take on a leadership role, best to be a responsive and
      responsible one by putting those people who you are leading, first. No
      matter what, if you’re the leader, you are the person people are
      depending on and with that, you better be totally aware, on your game
      and ready to face anything head on responsibly.

      4. Best to teach/preach/motivate by being the example or don’t put
      yourself in that position. You will be watched and you most likely will
      be judged.

      5. The answers are not out there somewhere or from someone outside
      yourself. Messengers may have terrific messages but they themselves are
      not the answer. Most of those kinds of answers can be found by being
      still and quiet in prayer or/and meditation or just being out in nature
      on a hike or walk. If it's about finding yourself, look in a mirror!

      6. BALANCE. Anything in extreme is unnatural and will find it's way back
      to the state of balance. You will find balance in environments of
      nature, our bodies and the Universe as a whole. Life is about balance.
      If continually pushed out of balance, circumstances will arise by taking
      extreme means in returning things or you, to a state of balance.

      *I've viewed several clips of shows that James Ray had been on and over
      and over he states that he does not believe in "Balance." Perhaps this
      is part of what this whole tragic scenario has been about for him as
      well as the events he's held.

      Being an optimist, I firmly believe that amidst this horrific tragedy,
      there are some positive things being born from it. Corrections are
      taking place. Balance is being returned and acknowledged. This tragedy
      shed light on and literally stopped the continuation of JAR events being
      held in which people have been harmed. Perhaps a true understanding
      regarding sweat lodges will come forth with some new respect to our
      Native American brothers and sisters. Hopefully this will start to end
      Charlatans from abusing this sacred ceremony for financial gain. With
      this, James Shore, Kirby Brown and Liz Neuman did not die in vein but
      rather heros to be celebrated.

      If you want to keep updated on this case, visit the Tragedy of Sedona
      Face Book page. You’ll find info, comments, videos and updates on what
      James Arthur Ray s up to. A lot of people are watching his every move.
      Here is a recent post.

      “JAR sent an email through the National Speakers Association's email
      link (to the group of speaking professionals that have the Certified
      Speaking Professional designation) begging for his fellow speaker
      colleagues to send letters of support to the judge in testament to his
      character and commitment to doing good works.”

      Really?

      It will be fascinating to see how all of this pans out. Thank you for
      taking the time to read this. My best goes out to all the friends and
      families of the victims.

      Here's a photo of Shondra Jepperson
      http://nhne-pulse.org/james-arthur-ray-guilty-of-negligent-homicide/

      Her website is located here:
      http://www.tomandshondra.com/

      RELATED LINKS:

      James Arthur Ray: Guilty On Three Counts Of Negligent Homicide
      http://nhne-pulse.org/james-arthur-ray-guilty-of-negligent-homicide/

      Pulse On James Arthur Ray Sweat Lodge Incident
      http://nhne-pulse.org/resource_pages/angel-valley-resort-sweatbox-incident/

      http://www.nhne.org/tabid/1044/Default.aspx

      NHNE's Mother Ship:
      http://www.nhne.org/